Author Topic: Local Hits off Request  (Read 160 times)

Offline INDN

• Zinc Member
Local Hits off Request
« on: May 13, 2001, 11:10:00 AM »
Ht before we loose another player from this problem can we get a way to disable local hits. Somehting on the order of what AWIII had. I believe I see the same thing. Im sure its net related because of the speed and closeness of my connection. This may make others shoot better also.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2001, 01:14:00 PM »
Local hits?  What exactly is that?

AKDejaVu

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2001, 01:44:00 PM »
Indn, why, you are seeing somthing im not aware of.

HiTech

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2001, 02:18:00 PM »
I did not understand his post.
But he may be saying he doesnt want hits to be calculated client side?

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2001, 02:36:00 PM »

Originally posted by Animal:
I did not understand his post.
But he may be saying he doesnt want hits to be calculated client side?

I think that's what he means, Animal.  In AW, there was an option to disable the appearance of client-side only hits.  Most of us turned them off because you'd see hits where the host didn't.  Very confusing and annoying to say the least.

What the original poster is implying is that AH uses a method similar to this, and as a result it's possible that the hits we see on our front end are not actual hits at all.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline DmdStuB

• Zinc Member
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2001, 03:13:00 PM »
Yes, I think this would be a good thing too.  With the limited ammo some a/c have, it would help keep ammo wastage down (heh, especially for poor shots, like me)

StuB

Originally posted by INDN:
Ht before we loose another player from this problem can we get a way to disable local hits.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2001, 04:40:00 PM »
Someone explained to me that hits are recorded different in AH than in AW.  Not that I understand how it works  Will I see any hits that the host will not?  If so, is there a way to only see the hits recorded by the host?

Thanks,
Gunner <CAF>
GunrCAF
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2001, 05:12:00 PM »
All hits are supposed to be computed on your client.  This is why occasionally you'll explode or take damage while seeing your opponent shooting and apparently missing.  On HIS computer, he shot you and that damage info got sent to the server regardless of what you saw on your own computer.

This is also why collisions usually only result in the death of one player.  If one player collides on his computer, but the other player manages to avoid the collision, it only kills the person who actually had the collision occur on his computer.

Whether or not this is fair or realistic is another subject    It still illustrates how damage and collisions are handled by the clients, not the server.

------------------
eagl <squealing Pigs> BYA
Oink Oink To War!!!
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2001, 05:21:00 PM »
GunnerCAF Wrote:Will I see any hits that the host will not?

No

HiTech

Mr. T

Local Hits off Request
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2001, 08:48:00 PM »
HT, I've noticed... maybe less than a handful of times... that plastering the right wing (for example) with shells that the LEFT wing will actually fall off. I can't recall what planes they were, but do you think I'm just imagining this or that damage is somehow being sent to the opposite side of some planes?

Just curious... I haven't seen it recently, think it was more like 2 versions ago.
-SW

Offline darling

• Zinc Member
      • http://peterson.gm.is
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
Mr. T, this has happened to me sometimes, but only when attacking B17s in my pony. I come screaming in at 550mph, and open up on the near wingtip. Then the other wingtip comes flying off. I've never really made a big deal out of it, since a kill is a kill, but you are not alone seeing this.
I actually have film of this, have to dig it up in case someone wants it. It shows me and my wingie, Outlaw, coming in from opposite sides. Outlaw gets killed, by good shooting on Defiance's part. I open up from the other side, and the far wing comes off. We had a good laugh, and then went on. And no, it was not delayed damage from Outlaw, since he was already in the silk when I made my run.

I don't really see this as a problem, just a minor glitch, good a for a Yuk or two  

------------------
2nd Lt. Hogni "Darling" Gylfason
332nd FG "Flying Mongrels"
143rd Pursuit Wing

[This message has been edited by darling (edited 05-13-2001).]

Offline INDN

• Zinc Member
Local Hits off Request
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2001, 09:01:00 AM »
HT see Kieren's post in internet connection. I saw a little of this till I realized I had Vsync off. My problem is still disco's but I think thats the DX problem.