Author Topic: Anyone else  (Read 409 times)

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Anyone else
« on: July 20, 2003, 05:16:07 PM »
Into backyard ponds? mine is pretty basic, but just started building up on it.

and a quick movie here  It's an older one I know, but haven't had a chance to put it up on my webspace in a long time.

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Anyone else
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 05:30:20 PM »
Hiya,
Moms got two
Small one for goldfish n young koi fry

Large ones pure koi only (bro's domain)

Built sisters koi in 97 i thinks

8ft deep ina kinda kidney shaped and width approx 12ft and length approx 22ft, She built filtration system to her specs (against my knowledge/advice so now its 6ft deep weed pond lmao)

When i was landscaping in mid 80's i did a koi pool for special order 55ft length and 35ft wide kinda egg shaped, Damn beauty when it was stocked, Guy had money to burn n spent tens of thousands stocking, eg went all over world n ordered main fish

Went back just before he moved about 1990 time to a larger place (he had 2 rear gardens for pools 100ft square and a whole 6 acre meadow at rear  lol)

Fish were very large n handfeedable

Idea for your pool. Nice realisticly built cascade/waterfall be neat, Maybe in such a feature a basic bio filter

Mom spent loads on a massive 3 bed inline filter, Still to be installed cause of my pigheaded bro (all fibreglass so will keep i bet)

Once you get a pond/pool bug ya know you becoma addicted to enlarging them ;)  lol  few yrs down the line i bet ya got a nice koi setup

Guy over from a place i lived at wanted sauna and raised patio, I did him some drawings and to this day he has 50% of water under a wooden raised patio, Ideal with vegatation in for spawning etc and fish have a real large pool
Real nice on summer nights supping a few bevvies and hearing koi gulp feeding and a trickle of a very large waterfall he did

Feel relaxed near waterfalls etc wanna know why ? apparantly it the water friction giving off some kinda chemical-type-thing (did know word but mems shafted)

Well keep on i sure you'll all love the finished article

EDIT: rich koi dude had a grey tall bird visit a few times after stocking, 4am on a summer dawning it ran outa look on the poaching koi side o things and ended up in a mass of feather, Funnily he said he heard 2 12 gauges go off at the same time
Of course it wasn't him protecting his valuable fish, Must of been a guardian koi-pool angel   ;)
Here them pesky grey birds are protected somewhat ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 05:34:58 PM by Defiance »

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Anyone else
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 05:50:46 PM »
That's cool man, also into saltwater aquariums, some pics

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Anyone else
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2003, 05:58:15 PM »
Pond

That is one I did a few years ago.  It has the 4' waterfall dropping into an 800 gallon pond, then a 30' "creek" into a 1700gl lower pond.  I have done many, both for myself and for money, but the one above is my favorite.

Offline Defiance

• Nickel Member
Anyone else
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2003, 06:05:11 PM »
Hiya's,
Fiancee was into tropical fish and ended up giving all away as i met her
Plecasurus ?? spl man that was real large. Ended up too large really in the very large tank/s she had so gave all to local petshop

That pools nice gad

Nice to see it thru seasons too

EDIT: i think waterfalls etc give off positive charges ions or somert, anyways they can stim tranquility in most creatures i think ?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 06:07:14 PM by Defiance »

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
Anyone else
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2003, 07:14:45 PM »
Originally posted by Defiance
EDIT: i think waterfalls etc give off positive charges ions or somert, anyways they can stim tranquility in most creatures i think ? [/B]

Well, they almost certainly give off positive ions, and negative ones too, mostly clumped together. That has NOTHING to do with tranquility !!!11111111

You wouldn`t want to be under a barrage of positive ions - only their electrical "charge" is positive. Alpha radiation is positive ions, and it causes cancer and radiation sickness  :eek: (in excessive doses)

Tranquility stems from the sound and sight , and maybe the cooling water spray they produce.

I`d recommend putting a fence arount the ponds if you have small children...

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Anyone else
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2003, 07:25:14 PM »
Landscape gardening and ponds huh...

At least put some radio controlled boats in there so you guys don't look TOTALLY GAY.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Anyone else
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2003, 08:36:02 PM »
You should see the snapper I kept in the lower pond-about 15 pounds.  A large family of snakes lived in the top waterfall and in the (loose stacked) rocks on the lower.  I had a dog that would keep them hidden when we were out, but as you can see, I cross fenced for the kiddos.

It may seem Gay, but only to someone who hasn't done it.  Here is one I just finished at my brothers hardware store.  2 ponds with a central waterfall.  Discuss the issue of 1 random inlet and two outlets to feed it., i.e., how do you get the two ponds to stay the same level?

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Anyone else
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 08:38:52 PM »
Doesn't leave a lot of room for a BBQ, and a game of cricket...

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
Anyone else
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2003, 09:03:54 PM »
Here are a couple more of that one under construction.

After the trash was cleared

Top view