Author Topic: How you take out a tiger tank?  (Read 723 times)

Offline Raven101

• Zinc Member
How you take out a tiger tank?
« on: July 14, 2003, 03:42:28 AM »
I have been hiting and smacking but almost no bombs can hurt a tiger except a 1800 maybe hehehe but just checking.:confused: :eek:

Offline Smiggyy

• Copper Member
Suggstion
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 03:54:52 AM »
Flowers and a bottle of wine usually works for me......

:D :D :D :D

Other than that, a Tiffy with 500's and rockets usually does trick.

Offline Dr Zhivago

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 06:24:55 AM »
Try Il-2 w rockets or F6F-5 w two 1000lb's...

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 09:26:15 AM »
You basically need a direct hit with a 1K bomb.  Near misses do nothing.  I don't think rockets can seriously hurt one either.

-Soda
Aces High Trainer Corps
The Assassins.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 09:30:19 AM »
A Panzer at close range.

Offline BadRad1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 07:06:51 AM »
Has any one tried PETTING it first ??!!:D :D

Seriously, I have only had success dropping a couple of 1,000 pounders on them.

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 09:53:38 AM »
stuka with big bomb does it every time

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2003, 08:29:54 PM »
I've actually seen the IL-2 RS-182 rockets bounce off a Tiger frontal armour. I let it loose at about 200 yards, at very close distance, and I actually saw a rocket ping it and then go up skywards with smoke trailing.

It's one tough sonofabi*ch. Direct hits with heavy bomb load is your only option - either that, or go in a GV and engage it toe to toe.

Or, if its close to a field, our multi-purpose 37mm AA/AT( ;) ) gun will do it every time.

Offline corrupto

• Zinc Member
      • http://dfa.itgo.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2003, 09:54:02 AM »
Aircraft vs Tigers:

The YAK-9T 37mm gun rarely works on a Tiger's turret, but it's worth a try if you're desperate.  Likewise the 110G2's 30 and 20's don't do a whole lot, but once in a blue moon they yield results.  Anything less than cannon however is hardly ever more than an annoyance to the Tiger.  500lb or 1000lb bombs do work against tigers when they're spot on.  I've lost about 30 tigers to well placed bombs, but do not discount the 7.7mm turret pintle gun.  Even a heavily armored IL-2 is modeled to take damage from it, and I've killed more than one with the pintle peashooter.  If your're getting plinked to hell, either approach from the turret's rear left or at a sufficiently steep angle, and the gun won't be able reach you.

GV's vs Tigers:

Usually you can ambush a tiger by hiding and listening for its distinctive engine sound, so turn off your freaking engine and listen.  Also, Smoke is an excellent aid to hunting tigers, but the hunting is best done in groups of panzers that coordinate angles of attack.  Smoke however has it's problems because one or two rounds does not completely obscure the target's vision.  Lay it on thick, or use it as a distraction so that someone else can flank the tiger.  Also, for God's sake use AP ammo.  HE is going to bounce off a tiger unless you're in another tiger at close range.  Even then you'd have to hit his turret or treads to so much as cripple him.

Panzers have tough times with tigers, but there are weaknesses.  Though nearly invulnerable to panzers from the front, a shot on the ventral side of the hull between the tracks will sometimes kill a tiger--especially at close range (see 'Why You Shouldn't Bring a Tiger Into Trinity's Center City'  :)  ).  The safest bet when killing a tiger is to go for it's turret to disarm the thing.  Place every shot you can take on the turret if you are at a reasonable range.  If you're stuck at D1500+  well, the tiger has a distinct advantage in a standoff fight, so don't hope for much, and just keep trying to get shots on his rear or broadside.  Get close if you can.

Osties have virtually no chance against a tiger. However, once I killed a tiger by catching him descending a hill and plinking him on TOP of the turret about 70 or 100 times.   Tigers are field tanks and cannot raise or lower their main gun very far.  So when the poor bugger was on the hill, he couldn't get a shot at me while I was drilling him.   I imagine that if roles were reversed, the tactic would work so long as the tiger was too close to the hill I was on to elevate his gun.  (i.e. he blundered too close, or I jumped him) As far as wounding a tiger goes... an ostie ha a good chance at destroying a tiger's treads provided you actually hit the tread and not the skirt armor.  Also, if the tiger is damnfool enough to drive into you, there is no collision, and your 37mm will kill his turret in one or two shots while your muzzle is inside the turret.  This is not at all realistic, and it's not a tactic I prefer.  In fact, I think that tigers should be able to ram other gv's to great effect instead of slipping through like a Hogwarts ghost.

M8's are at a terrible disadvantage against a tiger.  Their only hope is to hit the tiger's turret repeatedly while it is distracted.  The turret is really only vulnerable from multiple hits perpendicular to the side or rear.  Chances are you're gonna buy it if you run into a tiger unless you can weave in and out of buildings in a city.

Good luck.  Hope you catch the tiger by it's tail.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2003, 09:57:10 AM by corrupto »

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2003, 01:10:51 PM »
The black grill in the bottom front, hard to hit from a distance, but get close enough, shoot it, and tiger goes boom.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2003, 01:17:00 PM »
I've killed a couple with an M-8 before took a lot of hits, but I just snuck up and shot em up the arse pretty good. :D

Offline BadRad1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2003, 04:43:59 PM »
Get in a Pony or a Hog, Load rockets.  set salvo to 2.  Find tiger tank. Line up, slight dive, make sure speed is at least 400mph. once you have the tiger in your sights, zoom in view. when tiger is about 600 yards, start releasing rockets, immediately unzoom view just fast enough to see yourself go screaming past  the tiger with rocket explosions going off everywhere, streight into the dirt because you are now fully compressed... Thats how I kill tigers !!;)