Author Topic: Aces High $19.95 Special Offer  (Read 3354 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Aces High $19.95 Special Offer
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2000, 12:10:00 AM »
The value of an object is the price that object will bring.

Whats it worth to me?

As an experienced simmer; a long time flight sim addict with exceptionaly high demands for realism; accuracy; skilled adversarys and also as one who clearly remembers the grim days of flight sim bills that looked like mortgatge payments..

Then six months of flying FREE the best sim I'd seen yet.

---$39.95 a week woulda been a godsend!---

"At last; I can EAT FOOD again! The cat need not forage in the wilds for our supper any longer.."

And, miffed puppies, pinko Mao enthusiasts and tightwads aside; since when did it become un-american to make a profit?

10 bucks got yer panties inna bunch? Dammo.. I pity your waitress. Or do you begrudge the developers of a product you spend more face-time with than your wife or family the price of a decent tip for crummy service in a half-assed restraunt?

So tell us; tell AGW, tell the world about how these nasty salamanders at this evil game company set out to screw its customer base, and as pennance, they must forwith reduce my rate and all rates .......  !!! Damn.. go join the tree huggers,  fer gawdsakes. The twit mouse needs protection; not US.

Hind tit suckin whiners. Begone with yah!

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2000, 12:12:00 AM »
Poll me Poll me!

'P.S. If anyone needs a Jr. Oracle OCP Certified DBA let me know, so I can explode in a fireball in front of more users.

"
wheres your email. You willing to relocate?

Offline rust

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.rocketace.net
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2000, 12:18:00 AM »
I feel I must jump in to defend HTC for a second.  I budgeted $50/month for Warbirds and made sure I didn't fly more than that.  Towards the end, though, I was only flying $20-$25 or so.  When Aces High came out I paid for it and budgeted $20 for Warbirds ($30+$20=$50).  I ended up not playing Warbirds at all and flying Aces High more than I ever flew Warbirds.  I also didn't have to worry about how long I stayed on.  It also made it more relaxing to fly C47s, etc. because the clock wasn't ticking.  Now I've cancelled my Warbirds account and think $30 is a bargain for Aces High.  To hear that they are examining a lower price structure makes me think, "Cool, I may be getting an even BETTER deal."  If they don't, it's still a bargain because I am getting $30 worth of fun every month.  It's the easiest bill I pay.

Now, I recently heard that they gave Duma a free account to continue making his cartoons.  I thought, "Man, that is so cool.  If, or when, I run my own company, THAT is how I want to do it."  Did I think, "HEY, that guy gets a FREE account an I don't just because he writes cartoons in his spare time?"  No.

Does Renfield think it's OK to give the SAME product to Duma for making his cartoons?

I pay a price I think is fair for a product.  I think $30 is a fair price.  No matter what I read on these boards I will continue to think $30 is a fair price.
Incidentally, I knew if I scrolled down the page a little I would read a reply by PYRO because that is the kind of company HTC is.  They even take the time to try to defend their actions person by person on the message boards.  They don't owe us an explanation, and yet they give it.  They take the rash actions of hotheads in stride and don't respond in kind.  Rather, they remain rational.  Thus far, I think many companies would do well to really study the way HTC does business.  It is a near perfect operation and one that I would be proud to have founded and been a part of.

Rust

The Free French Air Force

[This message has been edited by rust (edited 10-25-2000).]

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2000, 12:20:00 AM »
The week after I signed up for WB (back when they were $9.95 + 2/hour for everybody) they announced a deal where you could sign up for 6 months for a meager $30.
I didn't squeak then.

Come on, I want my habit to be as cheap as possible.  But I also want those who enable it to be in business.

Offline Yak

• Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2000, 12:24:00 AM »
I don't think it would have been as effective, or trustworthy, if it was only a 3-month rate, or anything temporary.  You are trying to find out if people who previously quit the game will come back permanently if it was $10 cheaper.  If I put myself in their shoes, and $20 / month is doable, then I think sure, I'll go for that.  But if it's only $20 for 3 or 6 months, then $30 after that, I'll think: It's a gimmick, and then I won't be able to afford it when the time is up.  

They have to find out this data, they need reliable numbers.  This is a good way to do it.  Look, you aren't talking about thousands of people here... You're talking about a small test group.

They need to find out if enough people will come back at $20 per month to make up for the loss in income that moving the full customer base to $20/month would entail.  That's all.  If only 5 out of 100 sign up, you know it's not feasible.  If 80% or whatever the break even point is, do come back, then you know you can do it, expand your base, and move your existing customers to $20 per month.

This isn't (just) an "emotional" investment they have here.  This is their livelihoods, folks.  You can't expect them to not feed themselves so you can have it for less.  THey have to find out if it's economically feasible to charge less per month.  This is how they are doing it.

Yak

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2000, 12:34:00 AM »
Hiya Yak.

Dammo.. been awile since I've seen a fellow Pale Horse.   I hear the boys are thrilled with the new rates.. god bless, 'em; every one.  

<S!>

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2000, 12:42:00 AM »
I think you should bump it to $50.00 a month.

Its time to seperate the men from the nancy boys.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2000, 01:22:00 AM »
As much as I love this game, $50 would be tough for me (unless I quit smoking).  I am happy the way the pricing is.  Would I like it cheaper?  Hell yeah!  Who wouldn't want to pay less for a quality product?  Oh well, I will just sit back, enjoy the entertainment my $30 gives me each month.  Should the price drop, I will be happy.  Should it stay the same, I will be happy.  I mean, hell, I have been happy since it went pay to play, why change now?

Oh well, I should quit rambling on something that I don't know much, if anything, about.

-math

------------------
"Any American fighter near Orote Penninsula.  I have forty Jap planes surrounded and need a little help."
-Ens. W.B. "Spider" Webb during the Marians Turkey Shoot

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2000, 01:29:00 AM »
Mav...either AH is worth $29.95 a month to you or it is not.  If not, quit.  If so, don't quit.  What's the difference if a few guys are lucky enough to pay $19.95?  It hasn't changed the sim that you subscribed to one little bit, except to add a few more players.

HTC's business plans are none of your business, and you should feel fortunate that Pyro actually cares enough to talk to you about it...he could have easily stopped after his first post which explained the situation nicely.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2000, 01:32:00 AM »
Do what ya got to do HT & CO!

I'll be here flyin as always.

Nuff said

funked

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2000, 01:45:00 AM »
What Fatty said!  Lemme see, I pay the same amount, and I get more cannon fodder?  WOOHOO!  

eskimo

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2000, 02:11:00 AM »
If all newbies were offered AH at $19.95 as long as they want their accounts, I could understand getting miffed about it.  

But this is just a survey of a small group.  

It seems that this game has a problem with new people only sticking around for their free two weeks and then splitting.  I think HTC should do a test and offer AH free for two or three months to a group of new customers, let them become truly addicted, and see if a significantly higher % stay for pay.  

Heck, myself and many of you had free months while AH was Beta!

All that really matters is that the price stays within reason so that HTC prosphers and we can continue to play for many years to come.

eskimo

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2000, 02:29:00 AM »

I am unhappy that you didn't even ask the current paying members what they thought about a possible price reduction or price change possibility to include a survey of potential rates.

Maverick, the whole point of this test is to find out how many additional accounts they would get at $19.95 so they can decide if those additional accounts would make up for revenue lost by lowering the prices for their current membership base.  That is why it was limited to people that tried the game but didn't cough up a credit card number.  If you include pricing opinions of the current membership, you are screwing up your data.

And as others have mentioned, there are people here with free accounts.  Trainers and I assume CM's as well, maybe a few other people.  Why do they get a free account?  As a perk for helping HTC.  The offer extended to the people responding to that survey is no different.  And in the end, they might be helping you and me too.

Gordo

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2000, 02:30:00 AM »
Um....you guys are gonna love this.  I just got an email from a mate that flew in here back in February who got offered this deal for $14.95 a month.....

Swoop

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2000, 02:31:00 AM »
Ive read that some people even got an offer of $10 an month for AH aswell, of course it could have been trolls...

Its gonna be an big sacrifice money wise if they are gonna lower the price on all the current accounts.

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac