Author Topic: Do you like, or dislike the 'Disappearing Icons' feature?  (Read 634 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Do you like, or dislike the 'Disappearing Icons' feature?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2000, 12:22:00 PM »
Good and bad.

Good that icon ranges are reduced to d6.. thats wonderful.

Bad that canopy frames and cowl parts 'snap' off the icon even when i can still see the plane.. this flickering combined with the much longer gunnery lead and the gawdamned micro-warping has put my close in SA and gunnery right in the crapper.

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2000, 12:34:00 PM »
I love it  

no more fighting against icons... gotta watch the plane suckers  

the m16 and ostwinds are only ones i found still have icons disapearing when plane is visible and I have flown every plane in the set since 1.04 came out
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Starting to really like it. Lots more bounces..
Like others I think it has some wrinkles, but the game is more fun for me now. The plane does seem to disapear sometimes along with the icon. And sometimes the plane is right at my 12 high and I cant see icon.
The patch really improved it though..
I think we are ready for a red dot over the enemy ac at 1k though..

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2000, 02:44:00 PM »
I wont comment on any of these in particular as it seems some people are finding bugs that I haven't encountered.

But....

These icons now in combination with a whole host of other things in this version have had the effect of creating some of the best fights I've gotten into since.... well... a long time. More challenging to aim, easier to evade, greater E retention, less chance of getting spotted and having your fight busted up by other planes = longer more interesting engagements.

Fun fun fun.  

Rojo

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2000, 02:47:00 PM »
Generally for it.  As noted, should be a little leeway given when target is behind canopy frame or just below edge of nose or wing.  Otherwise, I like this new feature.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Renfield

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2000, 04:27:00 PM »
I like 'em! I also like the shorter range - makes approaching a furball a little more like a first date  

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »
Like it (frustrated yes...).Great feature really.
For gunnery practice Id like Icons off also offline.

danish

Offline rust

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.rocketace.net
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »
I love it.  I do think it would work better if the icons were under the planes, though.

------------------
RUST

[This message has been edited by rust (edited 09-18-2000).]

Offline HABICHT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader54.net
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2000, 04:35:00 PM »
like it

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2000, 05:09:00 PM »
Adapated to my new environment, love everything in 1.04. (Don't use CT or Padlock tho....)
-SW

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2000, 07:39:00 PM »
I like the concept, definitely... balances realism with game play.  But the twitchiness of the icon constantly switching back and forth is quite annoying, and distracting.  I had never thought about the icons under the plane thing, but it sounds excellent to me.  As far as losing the plane behind a canopy crossmember or the cowl, etc., ...isn't that what happened in real life?    That's why I like the idea of the icon disappearing, but as I said already, the "twitchiness" of it is very distracting.  Keep up the good work HTC.. I'm gonna have to hire a shrink to help me with my addiction.. hey, waitaminnnit... I don't have a problem.. I fly, I get shot, I die....... no problem.

------------------
Skorpyon
~900th Bloody Jaguars~
"Feel the Sting......"

Offline Spoons - SimHQ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2000, 08:07:00 PM »
Like the new distance much better.

Love the icons, BUT I get easily distracted by their "jumpiness" around the canopy braces.  I'd just as soon not have them occur in that region.  But everywhere else,  I like them.

------------------
John Sponauer
Senior Editor, SimHQ.com
jsponauer@simhq.com

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2000, 01:26:00 AM »
I like the idea. Ok for icons disappearing under your nose when you pull for deflection shots. Ok for icons disappearing behind cockpit frames.

BUT, now icons disappear even if the a/c is still visible. Sometimes the delay is very annoying. Moreover icons warp after reappearing (usually when at less than 250yds). No, I dont like it (yet)  

[This message has been edited by gatt (edited 09-19-2000).]
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2000, 03:16:00 AM »
I think it's necessary to make 'em dissapear .. it threw my SA down the drain in conjunctin with the 6k ID icon range now ..

However i think they should only disapear behind major structure .. as in RL you got 2 eyes and beasically would see "thru" a canopy strut with the one eye taht still has sight leading ..

DW6

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2000, 06:47:00 AM »
Too jumpy, create too much distraction for me now. Rust is right - put the icons under the plane, it would help alot.

------------------
lynx
13 Sqn RAF