Author Topic: september's ride  (Read 950 times)

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
september's ride
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2003, 09:27:43 PM »
<---taking down notes as we speak

skull12
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
september's ride
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2003, 10:24:20 PM »
Early war ride? Try the 190a8. Best plane in the game:D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
september's ride
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 11:41:09 PM »
Originally posted by Lazerus
Early war ride? Try the 190a8. Best plane in the game:D

I wouldn't classify the 190A-8 as an early-war aircraft.

However, the F4F-4 is an early war fighter. In fact, the Brits began receiving the Martlet I in the summer of 1940. Known at Grumman as the G-36A, the Martlet I fit in between the F4F-3 and F4F-4 in that it was armed with six .50 caliber MGs like the F4F-4, but had non-folding wings like the F4F-3. Deliveries of the Martlet I were taking place during the Battle of Britain. So, it certainly meets the criteria of "early-war". American Navy squadrons began receiving the F4F-4 in late 1940.

When compared to the Bf 109E, Spitfire Mk.I and Hurricane Mk.I, The Martlet I measures up very well. Speed was nearly identical to the Hurricane, and climb was about the same as well. While it wasn't quite as agile as the Hurricane, it was close enough to make pilot skill the deciding factor in a turning fight. That means it virtually a match for the Spit I and was superior to the Bf 109E during low-speed turning contests. Where it easily excelled over these other three was in dive, firepower and ruggedness. Since we have the heavier F4F-4, maneuverability suffers a bit, and climb rate is down by about 20% to the Martlet I and Hurricane. Nonetheless, it can handle all the above without great trauma.

I have actually ignored Hurricane Mk.Is on my 6 while concentrating on my target. It takes an enormous amount of .303 hits to damage the Wildcat. Since it lacks the vulnerable radiator of the others, minor hits do nothing of consequence, whereas the liquid cooled fighters are doomed by any hit to the cooling system.

In addition, the 6 gun battery of .50 cal Brownings will make short work of anything unfortunate enough to find itself in the Wildcat's field of fire.

Should you get into trouble, simply split-S for the deck and let it run wild. Should the Spit, 109E or Hurri follow, simply dive vertically, change direction 90 degrees and say goodbye. None of them can maneuver with the Wildcat at speeds above 400 mph. Don't worry about compressibility and control stiffening. While the other 3 do have issues with the above, the Wildcat does not.

So, if I were to recommend an early-war fighter to fly for a tour, I'd point to the F4F-4 as your best bet for success. Of course, in the MA you will have to deal with late-war beasts, However, the F4F-4 can compete well, especially if the enemy decides that maneuvering with a Wildcat is a good idea.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
september's ride
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2003, 12:30:27 AM »
Wasn't the F4F-4 July, 1942 in service introduction?

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
september's ride
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2003, 01:57:47 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I wouldn't classify the 190A-8 as an early-war aircraft.

My regards,

Widewing

I would, climbs like a winged brick, out accelerated by just about everything, can't turn worth a damn. If this is the product of years of research, development and field trials, then German engineering is not what it's purported to be. 'Early' is subjective:p

Still the best plane in the game though, lol.

That F4F aint that bad either:D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
september's ride
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2003, 06:51:31 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Wasn't the F4F-4 July, 1942 in service introduction?

The first USN delivery of 5 was on November 25, 1941 (not 1940 as I incorrectly stated in my earlier post). Grumman's next F4F-4 delivery was in January of 1942 and continued through December 31, 1942 where all production was turned over to GM.

First delivery of the Martlet Is was July 27, 1940. By December of 1940, the USN had accepted 22 F4F-3s. Another 250+ were delivered in 1941.

Britain had it's first Martlets operational in the fall of 1940.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.