Author Topic: CV Takeoffs & Landings  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
CV Ops- Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2003, 10:49:00 AM »
Gentlemen:)

Would u be so kind as to advise me as to HOW I'd be able to get to a CV offline in order to practise my carrier landings/takeoffs?

I tried entry via the Clipboard but it availed me nothing!

Happy1

Offline Inferno

• Copper Member
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2003, 11:28:44 AM »
First, make sure you have a map loaded that has a cv. Then you can either double click on the icon on the map, or go to the map room and choose from there.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2003, 01:28:22 PM »
landing on cv

take ur view and press the right arrow until it stops then press ur up arrow til it stops

this allows a look around the nose and you can see the wires (when they pop in view) and the island on the cv flight deck
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
CV Ops- Offline
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2003, 05:22:49 PM »
Inferno:

Thx 4 the info, but could u b MORE specific .... such as spelling out the steps for me as to how I could get an Aircraft carrier to prac-
tise from?

Tried ur former suggestion but prolly did it wrong as nothing worked:(

Happy1

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2003, 05:45:11 PM »
Happy1,
  There should be CV's available on almost every offline map (maybe not some custom ones).  Once you enter offline mode, open your clipboard (ESC key) and simply look around the map for a friendly (green) icon that is in the water.  You should see a few arrows (red ones) coming from the CV that indicate the direction and waypoints the CV is following.  The Icon should also have a number in the format C# where # is a number.  You can then move to that group by either clicking on it or by moving to it by typing in the following as if you were sending a text message to someone using the radio

.move #

Note the period infront of the word move.  Then, as you would do at an airfield, select an aircraft from the Hanger (button on the clipboard).  It will be limited to CV capable planes and units (boats and landing craft).  Then press the H button on the lower left of the clipboard and your plane should appear on the deck.

Try and not load your aircraft too heavily to start with.  Heavy CV launches are some of the toughest things in the game to master.  Start with a light load (no rockets or bombs) and less than full fuel.  I would also suggest starting with a Seafire or F6F as those are easier to get off the deck than a F4U (Corsair).

Once on the deck, then you just have to throttle up, keep it straight, and try to build up enough speed to actually achieve flight by the end of the deck.  SHIFT + is full throttle, P for WEP, and then let the plane accelerate.  You may also want to use a little flaps (1-2 notches) on some planes to help.  Don't worry if you sink a bit off the end of the deck, that's natural.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2003, 05:50:12 PM »
go to offline (enter the game)  then set up / load terrain/ and chose a terrain that has CV's , Mindanao is a good one.

then find a cv and clic on it .
start with 25 % fuel and no bombs/rcts .
then add bombs / rcts . and drop them befor u land.
then up your fuel to 50% . most planes will take off fine with this Except the corsairs.
at 75% fuel and a full bomb load you will start having to back up sometimes . to do this move your stick to take off auto take off, then slowly give it some throttle until it starts backing , use your rudder to control its direction ,   give it more throttle to stop ,or hold the brakes.
you can either take off it in auto (alt x) or manually .( i perfur manually ) and put down a couple of notches of flaps around 3/4's of the way down the deck ....
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
CV Ops- Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2003, 09:44:26 PM »
:D HOORAY Soda & Roscoroo :D

Thx to ur patience & instruction I'm finally on the CV deck taking
off & CRASHING into the water, the carrier, into just about everything in my attempts to land on the carrier :(

The problems are ALL of my own doing, as I've printed out every-
thing that EVERY1 was kind & generous enough to advise me re
"CV Takeoffs & Landings" plus "CV Ops-Offline", thereby I've plenty of expert advice as to what to do :)  Thx to all of u good & kind people.

Now what I've to do is to learn to APPLY ur expertise in CV Landings w/o forgetting such things as 'Landing Hook Down', speed ctrl, rudder, flaps, etc ... etc., not to mention that I also
have some EXCELLENT FILMS on Carrier Takeoffs & Landings to
see What, Where, When & How to do it.

U folks provided me with the tools of knowledge now I've to APPLY
what I am learning diligently with much practice :)

Gratefully,

Happy1 ;)   <----- truly a most happy one

Offline Boozer

• Copper Member
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2003, 07:45:23 AM »
something that no one has mentioned yet that makes it twice as easy for both T/O and Landing is trimming the nose up as soon as you clear the deck, and trimming the nose up on final approach.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2003, 10:28:31 AM »
also not mentioned is that you can land pretty much anything on a cv from 109's to lanc's :D

I once landed a c-47 on the cv for safe keeping until needed then took of again to drop troops.

so when in the MA if you need to land and rearm your non cv fighter/attacker dont overlook the cv's :)

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2003, 12:51:40 PM »
Hiya Happy, I too had lots of probs with CV ops, in the past.
Hvy hog is probably the hardest to get off of a carrier, however here is what I do, and it works every time. (got this from FBFalcon if I remember right).
Set up is F4U1D, 100% fuel, 2 1000lb bombs, and 8 rockets.
Here is what I do:
I use auto take off
As soon as I start to roll I select WEP and start to lower flaps.
Keep lowering flaps until they are all the way down as you roll.
Now the next part is the critical one.
AS soon as (and I mean immediately) you clear the deck get your gear up, and at the same time start a very gentle turn to the right (the turn will help you  with torque effects).
Now you will need to start raising flaps pretty quickly as well, dont try to climb initially, just pull back enough to not hit the water. AS you raise your flaps your airspeed will climb and you are away.
I do this without backing up on the CV, and it works every time (as long as the CV isn't turning at the time).
I think I still have a film I use for training my Sqn on this. Send me yer email and I will send it to you if you like.
My email:  dragonflyheli@hotmail.com
Cheers Happy,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2003, 01:35:09 PM »
RTR you havent had the experience of CV106 in the big isle's map thats running in the ma at the moment....  
I dare ya to get a fully loaded Hog off that deck with out backing .
(its spawn points on the deck are wrong and ur right wing is in the con tower some of the time)  that messsed up thing owes me 2 C-hogs,and 3 d models.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2003, 02:33:36 PM »
LOL Roscoroo, getting a fully loaded hog off a CV is hard enough when the spawn point is right, and its steaming into wind. I wouldn't even try to get a hvy hog off CV106 now that I know its messed up. Thanks for the info sir.
Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline Happy1

• Nickel Member
CV Ops- Offline
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2003, 05:25:34 PM »
Greetings RTR :)

Grateful 4 ur worthwhile input re T/O procedures w/a fully loaded
Hog .... No wonder I keep crashing, for a while I thought I was in the submarine svc  :confused:  instead of an a/c.

Appreciate ur kind offer to send me the film .... my email to u w/my addy's on the way to u.  Thank u  :D

Cheers,

Happy1

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
CV Takeoffs & Landings
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2003, 08:08:01 PM »
LOL Happy1, np  sir.
Film is on the way to you
hope it helps
cheers,
RTR
The Damned