Author Topic: start your own furball  (Read 875 times)

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
start your own furball
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2003, 09:05:37 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
... they won't go where I am cause there is too much action...

so then, is finding fights a problem or not...???
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
start your own furball
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2003, 09:26:27 AM »
Rules to start furball are exactly oposite to rules of starting mission :) Find the place, where they are looking, make sure dar is up there, and take 2-3 squadies with you. Fly around a base, and wait them to start getting up. Do not shot them down at once, or they will be frustrated and stop upping. Growing darbar will attract more furballers... Then even more, and here you are, having a furball.

It will continues about 10-15 minutes, then someone will come in and pork fuel :)

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
start your own furball
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2003, 09:30:29 AM »
funny.....don't tell me you just started doing that Fester:p

1st word that comes to my mouth when some1 says 'hey festers ina 262 at XX'...........so!!!!:D

if some1 says shane is in sector XX......all i know is that a LALA is in sector XX...and again....so!!!

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
start your own furball
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2003, 09:40:57 AM »
starting a furball???  why????????????

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
start your own furball
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2003, 10:51:37 AM »
Originally posted by Fariz
Rules to start furball are exactly oposite to rules of starting mission :) Find the place, where they are looking, make sure dar is up there, and take 2-3 squadies with you. Fly around a base, and wait them to start getting up. Do not shot them down at once, or they will be frustrated and stop upping. Growing darbar will attract more furballers... Then even more, and here you are, having a furball.

It will continues about 10-15 minutes, then someone will come in and pork fuel :)

What you described is not the furballs I fight in or would like to see more of.

The best fights take place inbetween fields or CV's and bases....not the vultching you just described.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
start your own furball
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2003, 12:04:59 PM »
I used to try this in AW during the big pork days. I'd get a few, "Sure, on the way..." but then the bars would never change. It would be nice if it worked here.

Charon

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
start your own furball
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2003, 12:51:26 PM »
Originally posted by Hap
starting a furball???  why????????????

The same reason some tards attack bases to take them.  Some people find it fun.

Furballing and strat crap are not mutually exclusive.  It only seems that way when you have people on both sides squeaking and moaning about the other side of the coin.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
start your own furball
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2003, 01:09:05 PM »
Very true Mathman..

The best sortie in a fighter I ever had was flying an F6F to a contested base, dropped my ordinance right on the VH, and turned around to fight the enemy planes. It was a real thrill doing everything I could to avoid the gunfire as I tried to get my heavy cat to the target. I was thrilled to land 2 kills, one dead CV and one shot up hellcat.

To date, my favorite Buff raid was a job we did on the Bish HQ and Fuel refinery at once. It was beautifully orchestrated, with plenty of opposition, and culminated in the destruction of the enemy resources.

I guess the underlying factor in both is this...AH is no fun when there is no opposition.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
start your own furball
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2003, 02:16:20 PM »
dux... either action or sitting in the tower looking for it or at worst... choosing one side or the other of a gangbang.. things could be much better.

With close fields the strat/furballelements are not mutually exclusive.   the fights look purposeful... the strat girls think that the noble furballers are helping them and so everyone get's along until...

the bitter strat weinies who would like to turn AH into a glorified board game start squeaking that there isn't enough strat and that moving the fields farther apart would make the strat more meaningful and then.....

we end up starting all over again.
lazs

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
start your own furball
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2003, 05:21:34 PM »
Lazs, you and I have had some great fights together, especially back in the days when Ndisles was new and the main island was Furball Central, so I think you know that I'm not anti-furball... far from it.

As far as strat goes, these days I'm never online long enough to really get into the big strat picture... as long as there are some fields to up from, I'll be happy for my daily (sometimes weekly) hour of play. But I really am glad the strat element is there. So are many, many others.

Aces High is a game that covers many, many elements of WW2. It was designed that way. The game as it exists now is exactly what HTC wants it to be at this time.

What concerns me is that what should be constructive criticism about other facets of the game has turned into insults about the other types of players... bitter strat weenies, sky accountants, toolsheds, missuns, etc, etc, etc... so much, in fact, that any good ideas that are buried between the insults are lost in the midst. I think it gets to the point where people see someone's name in a thread, and they immediately go into defensive mode. All sides are guilty of this. We can stab and get stabbed back on and on and on, and at the end of the day, we get nowhere, and the game is still only ever going to be what HTC wants it to be. HTC wants their game to be strat-oriented. That's not to say that any ideas brought up in the forums are not good ideas... but HTC still has a very clear vision of what they want their game to be.

Incidentally, the volunteer mapmakers are all working under HTC's final approval, so try to give them a little credit, instead of insulting them and hinting at conspiracies. I've worked with them, and trust me, they are trying awfully hard to please everybody... a somewhat thankless task.

Believe me, the game could be a whooooole lot more strat-oriented than it is now. How would you like virtually sitting in a virtual ready-room, waiting for virtual orders to come in? They've built tons of choices into this game; you literally can do whatever you want at any time. Plus, there are hundreds of strat-oriented things to do.

The people who are playing the game in all of its different facets are not defective, and neither are you. We're all doing what we like, and it's really too bad that there's only one thing that you like doing in the game. Personally, I see lots of long-running fights that I would call furballs, so I cannot really relate to your dilemma. I guess your criteria is just different... and that's okay.

Can we all try to cut out the personality attacks for a while? Strat people are here for a very good reason; this game is tailored for them. Furball people are also here for a reason; this game has some of the best fliers in the online community, and there is almost always a good fight to be found.

I always try to help out when I can, so let me offer these two things for you (and this goes out to any furballers, not just Lazs) ...
1. I'm interested in working on a terrain that could be just what you're looking for, but I can't guarantee that it gets accepted or used. Maybe it could be used in the DA... who knows until we try. Would you consider proactively working on it with me?
2. Strat really can be fun... you have an open invitation to fly any friday with my squad in SquadOps. Maybe you've tried it before, maybe not, but it might open a new world for you.

Anyway, that's how I see things.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
start your own furball
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2003, 08:57:17 AM »
dux..  I have no interest in strat as such but... I have no interest in removing it.   I realize it needs to be in the game.   My areguements are consistent and I think, logical.   I have no interest in spoiling the fun of the strat guys unless.... they want the atom bomb.... If they want to affect dozens of players with very little effort or talent then thier idea of fun is not balanced.  Just that simple.   I also believe that more than a few are only on for an hour or two and that the way the game is going right this minute is a ded end... everyone will get tired of the suicide pork steamroller soon enough and then... there won't be anyu real gameplay to fall back on... closer fields allow people choice.

The mapmakers?  sorry... their effort should be appreciated by HTC maybe but why should I appreciate it?   they didn't do me any favors... a"tried to please everybody"??  I don't know of one real furballer that was consulted or even queried about what they wanted.   Tell me.... what exactly should I appreciate about pizza for instance?   Infinity?  was horrible when it came out... NB has made changes AFTER THE FACT..  I wasn't involved.. Had no right to be in any case but... if you design a map "for everybody" with no clue as to what a large section of the populace wants and actually design them out of the game... don't be surprixed at some less than appreciative remarks.

As for waiting in the tower for this or that or the other things you mention.... they are gonna do that in AH2... we will then see who wants what... they woulda done it here allready oif they thought it would help/not hurt playerbase.    As for ignoring what some say on the board... that is a good idea.  If something offends you.... find out why and/or ignore it.   I have never cared who reads what I write or if they agree with it.   You will find that former adversaries now agree with me former allies sometimes now disagree with me... who cares?   I have never claimed to have had any affect whatsoever on gameplay.   I have only claimed to have pointed out the obvious.   I still claim that.
lazs