Author Topic: Country markings  (Read 551 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Country markings
« on: August 13, 2003, 03:51:29 PM »
Instead of the country side markins such as the German Iron Cross, the Japanese Rising Sun, the American Star, the British Circle, Italian signs, or the Russian Red Star, how about SIDE markings?

I.e. A Spitfire would have a rook, bishop or a knight symbol in it's place of the British circles. That way aircraft are marked by their side, not their historical country.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
Country markings
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 04:15:12 PM »
Sometimes those markings are the only way to tell which variant you're up against, a la 109's.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Country markings
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 05:11:19 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Instead of the country side markins such as the German Iron Cross, the Japanese Rising Sun, the American Star, the British Circle, Italian signs, or the Russian Red Star, how about SIDE markings?

I.e. A Spitfire would have a rook, bishop or a knight symbol in it's place of the British circles. That way aircraft are marked by their side, not their historical country.

Kinda goes contrary to the immersion aspect of Tour of Duty, dontcha think? :D

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Country markings
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 05:51:14 PM »
ToD will not have knights, bish, rooks, it will be axis vs allied.
but the MA will still have them , with the icons you already know who they are and how many times are you close enough to see the markings?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Re: Country markings
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 10:41:09 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Kinda goes contrary to the immersion aspect of Tour of Duty, dontcha think? :D

Another one busted by Arlo, Forum Cop.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
Country markings
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 10:44:39 PM »
Walking with Skuzzy words about skins its possible
but im not like this idea, im purist in this

ramzey

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Re: Country markings
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2003, 12:43:52 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Another one busted by Arlo, Forum Cop.

Whatchootalkinbout, dufus? :D

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Country markings
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 02:19:38 AM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
... Italian signs ...

That would be the "Fasci", three spears bound together with a rope. Roman legionaries used this "Fasci" as a way to store their spears when camped.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Country markings
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 02:57:09 AM »
Er.. fasces, actually.

Bundle of wood wrapped around an axe, which was the symbol of the power of the Roman consul... which the Rome-loving fanboy Mussolini degenerated, into the symbol of the Italian Fascists. That 'fasces' can be seen inside the US senate(or was it congress?) building, too.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Country markings
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 05:35:59 AM »
That would be this "symbol" :

However the Italian symbol (triple Fasces) was commonly known as the "Fasci" because in 1919 Benito Mussolini formed the Fasci italiani di Combattimento (union of Italian combat veterans). Fasci coming from the word "Fascio" meaning "union" and eventually the word "Fascist" was coined, but you are correct that the original Roman symbol "Fasces" was that of an axe bound by sticks of wood, and not spears as I remembered. I stand corrected.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
Country markings
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 09:29:42 AM »
There needs to be a way to customize nose and tail (and maybe the wingtips) colors.  If not for squads (which I think is the BEST thing), at least for country.    Seems really silly when I have 3 different countries flying identical aircraft.  Lets give some personality to this stuff.  

After all, squad art is great....and looks really good to the guy on the rearm pad with you...cause thats the only time anyone sees it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 09:34:17 AM by ALF »

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
Country markings
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 03:53:27 PM »
Originally posted by ALF
There needs to be a way to customize nose and tail (and maybe the wingtips) colors.  If not for squads (which I think is the BEST thing), at least for country.    Seems really silly when I have 3 different countries flying identical aircraft.  Lets give some personality to this stuff.  

After all, squad art is great....and looks really good to the guy on the rearm pad with you...cause thats the only time anyone sees it.

Not true at all! I use it all the time when firing on other GV's in my Panzer, or when the flaming hull of their AC is Twitching about on the ground after a few ostwind hits...

*Grin*[
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 11:23:22 PM by 2Hawks »

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
Country markings
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 08:12:31 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
That would be this "symbol" :

However the Italian symbol (triple Fasces) was commonly known as the "Fasci" because in 1919 Benito Mussolini formed the Fasci italiani di Combattimento (union of Italian combat veterans). Fasci coming from the word "Fascio" meaning "union" and eventually the word "Fascist" was coined, but you are correct that the original Roman symbol "Fasces" was that of an axe bound by sticks of wood, and not spears as I remembered. I stand corrected.

I've often (ok, not that often) wondered what those three saguaro cacti were doing painted on the wing of my C.205

Thanks.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
Country markings
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2003, 03:35:26 PM »
for whatever it's worth, i think that idea is stoooopid.  sorry, no offense, but.....