Author Topic: The U.S. economy  (Read 666 times)

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The U.S. economy
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2003, 02:52:01 PM »
Originally posted by midnight Target
Anyone in manufacturing will tell you that employment is a lagging indicator. As the market improves anyone worth his salt will try to get the increased number of products demanded to the market without expending any more capital for labor (and its attached overhead) than is necessary. Eventually you need to expand your labor force to meet market demands or lose the sales, but like I said.... no rush to spend money.

All true, but I don't think our current problems are entirely cyclical.  High paying jobs are going overseas faster than they can be created here, regardless of the state of the economy.   Just because the economy has dipped doesn't mean we're due for a recovery.  The question is whether or not the economy can recover while so many of the highest-spending consumers are pinching pennies because they are unemployed, underemployed, or fearing both.

ra

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
The U.S. economy
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2003, 02:55:54 PM »
Some of those jobs are going overseas because we don't have the people here to fill them. I am a member of our County's council on Manufacturing and Education. There is a predicted gap in "skilled" employees and jobs of 10 million over the next 5 years. In other words... we aren't training our young folks to be good wage earners very well.

If you can't fill the jobs here, take the work elsewhere.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
The U.S. economy
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2003, 03:08:50 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
sounds like someone is jealous  ^^^^

That's it! I want to be you - LOL

I have warts older than you - and smarter :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The U.S. economy
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2003, 03:20:22 PM »
Originally posted by Frogm4n
. Keep lieing to yourselfs about bush's "goodwork". He lies to you ,and you eat it right up so im guessing your used to it ripsnat.

I'm not stupid enough to believe that any administration is directly tied to the economy (although it seems plenty of youngsters in College like you are quick to Credit Clinton for the Tech boom)  My post is simply to show that this economic downturn which began in March 2000 (Pre-Bush) is now recovering.  Thats good news for everyone except those that follow the Democratic party lines like a good Jack boot Nazis :D because in the end, people usually ask themselves "How am I doing financially?" prior to going to the polls.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 03:23:14 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The U.S. economy
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2003, 03:21:08 PM »
Anyone in manufacturing will tell you that employment is a lagging indicator. As the market improves anyone worth his salt will try to get the increased number of products demanded to the market without expending any more capital for labor (and its attached overhead) than is necessary. Eventually you need to expand your labor force to meet market demands or lose the sales, but like I said.... no rush to spend money.

(that sounded pretty dang conservative didn't it?)

{Thump..} {Rip hits the floor unconscience)

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
The U.S. economy
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2003, 03:35:19 PM »
... In other words... we aren't training our young folks to be good wage earners very well..

Earners schmerners, but they have a very high self-esteem and they are highly skilled with cucumbers and condoms. :)

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
The U.S. economy
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2003, 05:15:08 PM »
I think MT is probably pretty conservative.  Most people I have met that are left leaning, when you go point by point are pretty darn conservative, at least fiscally.

Its the extremes both ways that drive me nuts.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
The U.S. economy
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2003, 08:41:23 PM »
If Bush doesn't watch it, all any Democrat who paid attention in 1980 has to do is to repeatedly ask this question:

"Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?"

or some variation thereof.