Author Topic: Best Way to Kill Ack?  (Read 590 times)

Offline darbar

• Zinc Member
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« on: August 07, 2003, 10:01:45 AM »
I've always been curious as to the best method for taking out the ack at a field when you are the first and/or only pilot to hit the field.
It seems as if I can't escape getting damaged in some fashion when I'm attacking due to the ack. This certainly is not fun considering some of the travel times and terrian climbing needed to reach some bases.
Also, how can I determine which ack is manned at a small/med/large base?
Any ideas???

Thanks!!!!
Darrell Barnes (darbar)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 10:30:04 AM »
Couple of points on killing acks.

On a small field in a fairly nimble plane you can kill most of the ack in 2 passes. Take one side of the runway first, extend out of range, zoom up, dive in on the second.

Then clean up VH & any you missed.

Slower is better, jink every 2 seconds, even a minor one. A pure roll won't do it, need to deviate your flight path slightly.

So roll 10 degrees push down, shoot, pull up shoot, roll back center, shoot, jink up, down, left right, rudder etc.

Cannon armed AC will kill an ack with a single hit.  Or some guys like the p47 with its 8 .50's that works almost as well.

Mostly its practise, practise, practise.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 10:52:34 AM »
Actually, I've found that a twisting approach at high speed and steep angle seem to work, and I only use the weaker guns of my plane to strafe the airfield flak.  That way I'll have my stronger guns available for vulching and leveling the town.

Make a run down one side of the airfield, deviating your approach and your exit to throw off the ack bursts, then turn around and come at it from the other side.  The farther away you are when you shoot, the less chance you have of something bad happening.

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 12:00:47 PM »
my personal technique is to dive on ack but dive at the ground in front of it so that it has to lead you then as you pull up and fly over open fire then climb, jink, etc. to survive.

the mistake people seem to make is flying in a straight line towards the ack shooting, giveing an easy shot to it.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 01:24:58 PM »
Shoot early and lots... ack don't move so fire at them as soon as you can.  Too many people try and get point blank before they fire on them and that makes them vulnerable to return fire.  You can strafe ack at basically the max range of your guns.  Don't plan on being ammo-thrifty when going after acks, you want to kill them quickly as time is your enemy.  The longer you stay around with active ack the more hits you'll take.  It's not like you need to "lead" ack or watch for them to turn on you... it's a HO situation, so shoot early.

The manned acks are always at the same spots on the field so they can be mapped out.  I have a map at home but it's hard to describe exactly which ones are manned and which aren't.  Basically though, if you are looking down and only some ack are shooting at you (or so it appears), then the ones that don't appear to be shooting are manned ack.  The manned ack might be shooting at you too, you just can't tell.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 07:39:48 AM »
use your zoom:  z & [   ] keys

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2003, 08:33:38 AM »
I've had very good luck killing ack by coming in at a very high rate of speed, and staying only a couple of feet off the ground.  Smoke the acks you can on the pass and STAY LOW until out of ack range.

Rinse and repeat.

The only problem with this technique is if you blink wrong, you are guarenteed to hit the ground :D

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 09:35:47 PM »
map your attack runs so you are never flying over a gun emplacement to kill another. Follow that rule and hit your shots and you will more often than not be successful.
Hornet

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Best Way to Kill Ack?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 10:24:49 PM »
I start with the vh 1st get that single one outta the way.
and on large feilds if you look closely at the direction of the ack placements you can take out the acks in rows (three passes ussually does it) come in from a 30deg angle or so

Fly a plane with a good roll rate so you can dodge it easily
stay low when u first leave the field then slowly climb back up ,(pay attention behind you) you can ussually roll enough to keep the ack from hitting you.
you can also use the hangers to block the ack as you make your gettaway.

the AI ack is fairly easy to work ....its the manned ones that can and will suprise you.
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation