Author Topic: A few thoughts on tracers  (Read 1196 times)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
A few thoughts on tracers
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2003, 06:22:12 AM »
Mores the pity. It's a tough game that has to promote killshooter because people are willing to vulch their own countrymen. Be it momentary anger, or a newby shooting up the first thing he sees in the arena. Or maybe a guy who's side is losing so he could change sides, grab a buff and bomb the enemy from within the enemys country. Just because the enemy is "playing fair" and trying to win the reset of the guys homeland.

Why do I mention this? Because we sure hear alot of real world rhetoric about flying, acm and what this or that plane should be able to do with regards to guns, power, speeed or energy.
Yet in the real world friendly fire did kill people. Be it some dummy giving the wrong target coordinates and shelling friendlies or in the virtual world with some guy so hell bent on stealing a kill that he's gotta fly in front of someone who's already engaged. If that's what the guy is willing to do to get a kill then he should also be willing to accept the consequences of his actions. And that is to die by friendly fire that is a direct result of his flying into someones bullet stream and not have killshooter.

Alternatively, a middle ground might be considered acceptable.

Having nothing happen as a result of some guy flying into your bullet stream does away with killshooter as no penalty is incurred. This is the equivilent of having someone not being able to bomb their own base. You take off and attempt to bomb your base with no effect. It's basically the same as having more than one plane taking off from a field at the same time. You go through the other friendly with no damage to either of you. The arena setting is already in place for that.  

To recap:
Shoot a friendly nothing happens. Nada. Niente!
Whats the point of kill shooter? If nothing happens when a friendly fires on someone it serves the same purpose.

Does that seem like a hard concept to grasp? Hmmmmm...

Ren

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2003, 09:38:31 AM »
When I fire to kill, I do it very close and the target is usually destroyed with first burst, surprise seeing tracers is irrelevant this way, there is no chance at all of evasion. But having tracers ON and firing even from very long ranges, gives you the chance of force the enemy to break while pursuing a friendly. Also, with tracers on you have less chances of being destroyed by kill shooter. I cant find any advantage of turning off tracers, unless you are a spray'n pray adict, firing systematically at long ranges, and that kind of kills are, IMO, plain crap.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2003, 11:19:58 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE
When I fire to kill, I do it very close and the target is usually destroyed with first burst, surprise seeing tracers is irrelevant this way, there is no chance at all of evasion. But having tracers ON and firing even from very long ranges, gives you the chance of force the enemy to break while pursuing a friendly. Also, with tracers on you have less chances of being destroyed by kill shooter. I cant find any advantage of turning off tracers, unless you are a spray'n pray adict, firing systematically at long ranges, and that kind of kills are, IMO, plain crap.

LOL!  Another Mandoble gem.  Seriously, Mandoble, you think the only possible benefit of turning off tracers is long range spray 'n pray?  Amazing.

Reasons for turning off tracers:

(1)  Improves aim by forcing the player to use the gunsight rather than "walking" tracers to the target.  So one benefit is increased efficiency.

(2)  As aiming at long distances becomes more difficult without tracers, turning them off forces players to get in relatively closer before opening fire.  This benefits both aim (i.e. efficiency) and lethality.

(3)  Turning off tracers improves the chances of jumping others without giving yourself away with tracer fire.  Sorry, Mandoble, not everyone is a cherry picking ubershooter like you, so for many this creates tangible improvements to their BnZ abilities.

(4)  Turning off tracers creates uncertainty in enemies who are unsure if you are firing at them or have a shooting angle.  In situations where you're firing but missing, the enemy often does not know if you're missing ahead or behind him and as such can't adjust tactics accordingly.

Obviously turning on tracers yields benefits as well.  As you mentioned, tracers can force a fleeing opponent to break.  Tracers also dramatically improve long distance aim (ask Drex, who won't turn them off for that reason alone).  But to say that tracers reduce the possibility of killshooter?  Ummmkay.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2003, 12:32:56 PM »
Turning tracers off will have absolutly no effect on killshooter. Since wether you have them on or off in the MA fellow countrymen can see your tracers. Only in the DA and SEA and TA are tracers not visable to countrymen. Possibly the CT not sure there. Enemy and yourself are the only ones that cant see your tracers in the MA. At least that is what I read in the help files and has been my experience in the MA. I fly with mine off and it improved my aim very much.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2003, 11:25:14 PM »
I know for sure: if your tracers are off, nmy does not see them; killshooter works the same with or without tracers; there are advantages and disadvantages both using or not using tracers. I much prefer all nmy to use them while mine are off. That first pass says alot about a pilot -- h.o. wannabe vs. someone intent on getting clean shot after avoiding h.o. And it sure is nice for a poor shot to announce his opening fire while you evade.

Offline BNM

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.christian3x3.com/
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2003, 05:33:45 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Sorry, Mandoble, not everyone is a cherry picking ubershooter like you

-- Todd/Leviathn

Priceless... :D