Author Topic: Grave doubts about the success of AH2 TOD  (Read 3060 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Grave doubts about the success of AH2 TOD
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2003, 10:03:19 AM »
"Originally posted by Zanth, Only flight sim I played where you had hundreds of people in multiple arenas was Air Warrior. There has got to be a lesson in there somewhere.
 "I guess you never flew fighter ace --where they had to have several MA's because the numbers where so high --If I remember correctly 300 max per arena."

Oh yippee.   A seal fight about who's arcade had more dweebs.

Beetl1, TOD is aimed at folks who want to a RPG- somewhat.  Not like WWIIO where there is a persistant world till one side wins but via scripted scenarios that are strung together. Much like the short run Air Warrior auto-scenarios - I believe.  They'll be fun. More than the CT imo but as with anything I'd hate to have it as my only choice.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2003, 12:23:09 PM by Westy »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2003, 10:26:03 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Well now we've had the new, fields close together FesterMA map. Very well received. I look to the reasons as to why it was well received, and am left thinking that there's a very good chance that AH2-TOD might never be deployed at all.

How many threads are you gonna revitalize or start, going around screaming like "chicken little" about the viability of AH II : TOD ?
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2003, 12:14:48 PM »
I have doubts about graves. I'm pretty grave about doubts but I've been known not to be grave about doubts. Sometimes, I doubt that I am grave enough, other times I doubt that I am too grave.

But I do doubt that it's time to be grave about something that hasn't made it's debut as yet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2003, 03:33:55 PM »
Will wait for the release before trying to make any judgement on AH2 and gameplay. Of course my doubts are whether it will ever be released at all this year given lack of news.

Also am I the only one that finds the graphics of the odd new screenshot that's been posted, rather unimpressive?

...-Gixer
~Hells Angels~

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2003, 03:12:59 PM »
Originally posted by Creamo
Christ beetle, what did you think AHTOD was going to be all this time?

You damn near live here, you are saying you didn't know?

I refuse to judge people here anymore, you can't have a clue. It's 10X's worse than ya think. Calling them a tard may be a actual personal attack.

Good grief.
Can you get your fat arse to the WCMC? I'm sure we'll hate eachother, but that will be good. I actually like some of the people I hate. ;) One thing's for sure - you'd be entertaining company.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2003, 05:17:17 PM »
I believe the ToD is aimed to attract a new player base; those who fly the more realistic single-player boxed campaigns, but haven't flown online.
Army of Muppets

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: October 12, 2003, 06:43:07 PM »
I think of TOD as il2 sturmovik. I had lots of fun playing in campaigns in that game with flights and organization but despized the stupid AI drones that were so predictable AND boring.

tod is a different kind of fun. most after being ordered around and organized at work all day will say to hell with organization and go blow stuff up in the MA. others may Gravitate toward the realism of TOD despite the naturally longer flight time to the action. if there is enouh realism his wont be a problem.

the reason the MA dosnt do well on long flight times is because its not about realism its all about action. TOD is a different animal.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2003, 07:44:32 PM »
hard to believe HTC will miss the targeted player's wants with so much material to go with on this BBS.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: October 13, 2003, 01:18:16 AM »
Originally posted by Citabria
tod is a different kind of fun. most after being ordered around and organized at work all day will say to hell with organization and go blow stuff up in the MA. others may Gravitate toward the realism of TOD despite the naturally longer flight time to the action. if there is enouh realism his wont be a problem.
I think you've hit on something! That would certainly explain why folks like Mr. Toad would enjoy the frenetic pace on your map - after a day of organised flying, long hours etc...

...and that's kind of why I like the organisation/teamwork aspects. I want to be part of a group effort with an objective. Because in my daily life, I do whatever I want (within certain legal and social limits, of course). No-one ordering me around - *she* went. ;)

But here's the thing. We were expecting TOD last year, but only shortly before the current release did I find out that it wasn't going to be there. BIG disappointment - for me anyway. So we looked forward to Q3 of 2003. But AH2 hasn't appeared, and since about 6 months ago, I understand it's not going to have TOD anyway - just some new graphics. So far, I've seen a wing... We don't even have a delivery date for TOD, and even if we did it's a long way off and might not be met. We've had the Q3 delivery date for AH2 for at least 6 months, which leads me to believe that TOD is at least 9 months or a year away. I always remember how folks eagerly anticipated WB3. The high expectation was based on eye candy. But eye candy alone does not a flightsim make, as has been seen with WB3. (Peak attendance is what - 30? Or is it 50?) So I was really hoping for gameplay revisions, and maybe some purpose to shooting down planes/making stuff go BOOM.

And then we have your new map. And the gameplay is faster paced... I never said I didn't like your map. Fact is I didn't have enough time to play it, but made some observations and asked questions. But from what I saw, the gameplay is a step or two in the opposite direction away from what TOD will offer.

That, plus the apparent popularity of your map, plus my own observations in the MA of what people seem to want lead me to have certain reservations - see the title of this thread.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 01:39:34 AM by beet1e »

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: October 13, 2003, 08:29:19 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Well now we've had the new, fields close together FesterMA map. Very well received. I look to the reasons as to why it was well received, and am left thinking that there's a very good chance that AH2-TOD might never be deployed at all.

Whatever may have caused you to feel qualified to make such a statement has for sure, brought a what a goof shake of the head from HT.

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #100 on: October 13, 2003, 08:57:52 AM »
Hblair says it best , fuel porking only affects the guys who , as Toad says "Fly what you like" .

If you are a so called furballer or just want to take a quik jabo run and have to fly another 20 min per sortie cause there ain't no gas close to the front it 's not good for the "GAME".

Hoping TOD will give the Porkers another venue.