Author Topic: Harley-Davidson  (Read 3143 times)

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2003, 11:48:15 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
LOL, my old co-worker and neighbor 3 houses down has 3 Harleys...he'd laugh at this assessment above...Harley Paraphenalia is twice the cost of BMW stuff these days.  He says 'Since the yuppies started buying Hogs, everythings expensive now!"  (Uhhh, Roger, you're making 6 digits, and live in a $350,000 house....yuppie who? ;) )

Rip thats only if you buy Harley brand stuff. You can tell a yuppy harley rider cause every thing he is wearing is harley brand. The rest of us look just like that list. Cept the smart ones who spend a little extra on the brain bucket. I have a simpson shorty kevlar.  The novelty helmets are only good for scraping your brains of the road after your dead.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2003, 01:22:59 PM »
Speaking of Harley's 100th, Milwaukee is going nuts this week with the celebration.  They've got streets blocked off, harley commercials left and right, and of course thousands of bikes roaming around.  Event planners are expecting 100,000 riders to enter the city next week.  

Four interstate highways head into the city and there's four HUGE organized groups coming from the south, west, southwest, and north.  Apparently the riders that met up in Las Vegas totals 30,000+ ! Thats gotta feel like an earthquake flying by.

Gonna be a crazy week.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2003, 03:43:36 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
Speaking of Harley's 100th, Milwaukee is going nuts this week with the celebration.  They've got streets blocked off, harley commercials left and right, and of course thousands of bikes roaming around.  Event planners are expecting 100,000 riders to enter the city next week.  

Four interstate highways head into the city and there's four HUGE organized groups coming from the south, west, southwest, and north.  Apparently the riders that met up in Las Vegas totals 30,000+ ! Thats gotta feel like an earthquake flying by.

Gonna be a crazy week.

Depends on how many make it to Milwaukee. It could look like a harley used bike lot along the highway........... :p

Of course there might be the majority of them trucking their bikes there.

Ever see the new cruising deal on Harley?? For $35,000 you get a new Harley and a used pick up to haul it in....... ;)

Just kiddin....................... ..........NOT! :D
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2003, 06:26:07 PM »
I rode a R75 that belonged to a friend of mine once. It was an interesting motorcycle, about 75 vintage if I recal. I was riding a four cylinder rice burner at the time and the BMW felt buzzy and rough to me.

Since I bought my Harley I have had to relearn to ride. Some of that comes from not having ridden in 23 years, the rest comes from the unique experience of a large displacement vertical twin. There are all kinds of new noises to get used to. One of it's endearing aspects is the massive amounts of torque it produces at rediculously low rpm's. A lot like what I imagine driving a tractor is like :D.

So far it has been worth every penny I am paying for it.
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2003, 10:10:38 PM »
Different stokes for different folks...I see brand new boots, HD vest, gloves, leather do-rag, $200 shades, and a brand new shiny Harley, and no old lady...hehe... on the yuppy scum.  Kinda looks gay to me. :D

Thorns
« Last Edit: August 25, 2003, 10:14:02 PM by Thorns »

Offline Snork

• Copper Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2003, 10:27:24 PM »
Saw a Harley man's worst nightmare this past Saturday. Was out for a walk and, as I approached a really nasty, accident prone intersection I heard a tire screech followed by the sound of metal grinding away on pavement. Through the intersection ahead of me spun a shiny aluminum V-Rod spinning on it's side to the median and a rider flippety flipping to the curb. I did the 9-1-1 thing on my cell phone and, along with some bystanders lifted the hog and wheeled it to the curb, while others helped the rider.
He had only pavement rash, along with a seriously scraped up helmet. Seems some lady in a new Cadillac left turned him on his 4 month old ride. He dropped it, but didn't hit the Caddy. Two lessons here. One, always wear a helmet. Two, always assume the cage drivers are out to get you.
Flying as Noser

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2003, 10:31:50 PM »
Snork,

Don't assume they are out to get you. They ARE out to get you. That is from long experiance riding a motor in heavy town traffic. They will always claim they didn't see you but the results still are painful.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2003, 10:39:40 PM »
and a rider flippety flipping to the curb.

ahhh, concrete ballet

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2003, 11:06:55 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm, beeeeeeeeeeemmeeeerrrrrrrrr

love that bike.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2003, 11:18:26 PM »
"95 percent of all Harleys are still on the road. The other 5 percent made it home"

LOL

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2003, 11:50:20 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Depends on how many make it to Milwaukee. It could look like a harley used bike lot along the highway........... :p

Of course there might be the majority of them trucking their bikes there.

Ever see the new cruising deal on Harley?? For $35,000 you get a new Harley and a used pick up to haul it in....... ;)

Just kiddin....................... ..........NOT! :D

I really don't want to get into a peeing contest about Harley's reliability, I believe it to be quite adequate these days with all the changes they have made. All motorcycles are great fun. There are different kinds for different riding styles. Most all are pretty reliable with the Japanese probably making the most reliable ones on the market. We each dream of our "perfect scooter". I finally got my dream. A big displacement designed and manufactured and built in the USA scooter.

It's interesting though... years ago I was always bashing Harleys too, I grew up finally :D.
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2003, 12:34:18 AM »
i have owned jap bikes,,bsa's, triumph's,,harley's,,even a harley davidson 250 dirt bike<~~what a blast it was for a old beast,,,,400 2 stroke huskavarna dirt bike i still ride to this day,,,,street and dirt i like them all,,i use to own a triumph 930 pucker factor bike,,very fast,,speedo went up too 180,,i never took it that far.,.but with the six speed it had,,im sure it would have,,first gear did allmost 75 miles a hour maxed out at 11,000rpm,,,,i like them all for diffrent reasons,,but for strait out riding and having fun,,give me my old harley anyday,,,im part owner of a 1990 springer heritage,,been a great bike,,evo moto has never give us a lick of proublems,,sold my old harley, to go part owner of the springer<~~bigger ,,badder,,and worth alot more than my sporty
I really don't want to get into a peeing contest about Harley's reliability,
todays harley evo motor very reliable and easy to work on i guess,we never had to work on mine yet,,my triumph was a nightmare just to reach the clutch,,let alone rebuild it,,honda and yamaha,,same way,,reliable,,but hard to work on,,honda was allways good at making somthing simple complicated,,but they do last a long time,,good and bads with all of them

my old harley was a 77 iron head sporty,,never broke down,,and the guy i sold it too,,still hasnt put nothing but new tires on it in 3 years,,been a wonderfull bike, he rides it all the time,,all bikes break down,,just counts how you treat them,,but for just cruzing i like a harley,,,my triumph would kill ya on a long ride,,,bent over that gas tank for 500 miles is not too fun,,lol,,would rather stand tall with some apes:),,lol<~~but i like them all,,,found good and bad in both bikes,,,just ride what you like i guess,,,as for me,,ill like them all,,,i havent road a bmw yet,,but i think they make some good lookin bikes now days
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 04:47:57 AM by hyena426 »

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2003, 12:48:43 AM »
People are nutz if they think Harleys are not reliable.  I never had problem with my 78 Sporty ( AMA years even) until someone in a lifted 4x4 tried to run me over from behind.

I now drive a 2003 Honda VTX 1800, which is an increadible bike IMO.

I also used to have a Kawasaki LTD 750 and a Honda 650 Nighthawk. I enjoyed them all.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2003, 12:52:19 AM by NUKE »

Offline Trikky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2003, 01:31:17 AM »
I'm not a bike rider except for little whiney shreckers in my youth so I cant really comment on reliability etc. What's guaranteed to whet my whistle though is hearing either a Harley or a Ducati growling their way through traffic....can send a grown man weak at the knees.

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
Harley-Davidson
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2003, 05:24:42 AM »
I took the baffles outta my Vance & Hines short shots last week - good fun but the power curve changes a bit and, I gotta admit it's a bit obnoxious. Ill put em back in one of these days....... :)