Author Topic: Funny he has no qualms making his living in America..  (Read 2304 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Funny he has no qualms making his living in America..
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2003, 04:37:21 PM »
Hollywood star Johnny Depp said on Wednesday the United States was a stupid, aggressive puppy and he would not live there until the political climate changed.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2003, 04:39:35 PM »
This implies that he is thinking well beyond the current administration.

"My daughter is four, my boy is one. I'd like them to see America as a toy, a broken toy. Investigate it a little, check it out, get this feeling and then get out,"
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2003, 04:50:28 PM »
Let's don't start this old pissin contest again guys....some here admire Johnny, others don't...it's that simple.

The real question is did that Alec guy ever move to France?

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2003, 04:54:16 PM »
Good point.  We should be happy that lefty actors, puppeteers, and other losers are leaving the US.

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.twinkies.com/index.asp
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2003, 05:08:16 PM »
I get the feeling Depp is talking more about not wanting his kids in Hollywood and/or NYC and exposed to the 'ET photographers' all the time as opposed to living in 'America' (as in 'everywhere is bad' in America).

And I can respect that he says what he thinks, and does movies because he likes them, etc. I don't mind the guy. Numerous times in interviews he's admitted that he was dumb to do something, immature when it came to this or that - that's more honesty than 95% of the politicians (either party) or actors in the U.S. have ever shown.

"No qualms making his living in America" isn't a fair statement. Plenty of foreigners make lots of money working for Hollywood while living somewhere else. At least Depp had the guts to say he doesn't want to live there.

And the 'Freedom Fries' and 'Freedom Toast' deal was lame. Not because the French government didn't act like a bunch of, well - we won't get into that right now. But all the 'patriotic' politicians that made such a big issue out of it are the same guys that would vote down something on the defense budget in order to get their state a bunch of jobs making stuff that the DoD has no need for - i.e. "**** the common good I wanna get reelected."

I draw the line with actors when they go 'Jane Fonda'. Depp doesn't want to live in the U.S. full time - he's making sacrifices by doing so. I hope it never comes to somthing like this but the point where he might change his tune is when one of his kids is in bad shape and if he lived almost anywhere in the U.S. the kid could be in the care of the top 4 or 5 Doctors in the world  for any given problem in under 3 hours. A lot of the things that make living in the U.S.A. great don't come up on a daily basis.

I also don't think Depp is talking specifically about George Bush. I think he's saying what he actually said - the 'political climate'. That's more than just the President. People from both sides contribute to the 'political climate'.

And I like his movies. So he does a good job at his job. Boycott his movies? You'd better get political statements from every pro athelete in the U.S. to determine which teams you root for and watch. Or do you only 'punish' someone when they speak their mind?

Mike/wulfie

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2003, 10:34:48 PM »
His problem is obviously with both US politics and US culture, in fact he hates america so much that he does not want to live here and does not want his children to live here either in the long term.  Since he brings up his wish for his kids to experience america, form an identical opinion to his (interseting "progressive" parenting style isnt it) and then leave we must assume he is looking in the long term  -  unless he means they form such an opinion from between ages 2-9 we must assume that he is thinking beyond the Bush presidency as well, meaning his kids come to the USA as older teens and make their own decision with some life experience. This means his real problem is with America and not just Bush policies since they can be gone as soon as next year if he looses or ion five years at the latest - eitherway his oldestt will only be 9 years old then anyway.

So yes his problem is with America in general and not just with Bush - that much is clear

Then i just find it funny that since he hates America so much with such passion as to leave it and insist his kids hate it too that he still finds it morally OK to earn his living in the USA.  Its like some refugee from the nazis, you lefties will love the comparsion no?,   still making his living in Germany as a rich entertainer while publicly criticizing the culture and govt.  

If he was a true disssident why not swear to not make US moves with US studios?  Why contribute to millions in corporate tax revenues to the evil US government by making such spectacularly succesful and entertaing films as Pirates Of Carribean?

The guy is full of **** and a hypocrite...

Offline type_char

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2003, 11:56:52 PM »
I think Depp is talking about the current political atmosphere in the US.

Though if he went to an island and started a new country, I bet all the babes would go there.

:D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 12:06:00 AM by type_char »

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2003, 12:04:22 AM »
But why then say that he wants his basicallyt infant children to avoid the USA in the future? The current political climate (read Bush) will be over in 5 years max.  So unless he thinks his then at best 9 year old kid is to make informed political/social decisions his hatred of the USA must be inclusive of wider American cultural factors, not just the current administration's politics..

At least he's less of a hypocrite, and a far far more talented performer, than that patheic waste of humanity Baldwing who to the best of my knowledge still resides in the USA and not france as he promised upon Bush's presidential victory....

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2003, 12:15:28 AM »
I've never heard him say he hates America. I've never seen him quoted in text saying he hates America. I don't hate downtown New York or downtown Chicago. I also would never want to live there.

If I had kids I wouldn't want them growing up in Hollywood - especially if I was an actor. I believe it is totally possible to love living in a place when you are 20 or 30 and to never ever want to raise kids in the same place.

At least he's got the guts to say exactly how he feels and why when it isn't popular. And at least he only speaks for himself, unlike *****es like Streisand. And I don't recall him protesting the future military action against Iraq, or grandstanding like Baldwin or Robbins or any of the others. Someone asked him why he chose to live with his family in France and he answered.

Mike/wulfie

Offline wulfie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2003, 12:17:25 AM »
Originally posted by type_char
I think Depp is talking about the current political atmosphere in the US.

Though if he went to an island and started a new country, I bet all the babes would go there.

:D

If that happened I'd really put some effort into obtaining dual citizenship. :) Imagine that...Depplandia...populatio n 85% female, and me an Admiral of the Depplandian Navy. :)

Yes, sometimes, it's good to have a dream. :)

Mike/wulfie

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2003, 12:42:50 AM »
Funny.. Grunherz thinks he can recognize a hypocrit :D

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2003, 12:56:41 AM »
Hi Fishu!

I'm in a very bad mood at this moment.  I will only smile at you. :)

GRUNHERZ

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2003, 01:27:49 AM »
Originally posted by Fishu
Funny.. Grunherz thinks he can recognize a hypocrit :D

Funny... just... funny.  :rolleyes:

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2003, 01:56:09 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
His problem is obviously with both US politics and US culture, in fact he hates america so much that he does not want to live here and does not want his children to live here either in the long term.  Since he brings up his wish for his kids to experience america, form an identical opinion to his (interseting "progressive" parenting style isnt it) and then leave we must assume he is looking in the long term  -  unless he means they form such an opinion from between ages 2-9 we must assume that he is thinking beyond the Bush presidency as well, meaning his kids come to the USA as older teens and make their own decision with some life experience. This means his real problem is with America and not just Bush policies since they can be gone as soon as next year if he looses or ion five years at the latest - eitherway his oldestt will only be 9 years old then anyway.

So yes his problem is with America in general and not just with Bush - that much is clear

Then i just find it funny that since he hates America so much with such passion as to leave it and insist his kids hate it too that he still finds it morally OK to earn his living in the USA.  Its like some refugee from the nazis, you lefties will love the comparsion no?,   still making his living in Germany as a rich entertainer while publicly criticizing the culture and govt.  

If he was a true disssident why not swear to not make US moves with US studios?  Why contribute to millions in corporate tax revenues to the evil US government by making such spectacularly succesful and entertaing films as Pirates Of Carribean?

The guy is full of **** and a hypocrite...

I bet he doesn't vote either.
sand

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2003, 02:05:45 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
I bet he doesn't vote either.

I hope not, nobody should vote in this nasty political climate of personality destruction, mean spiritedness and multimillion dollar lying attacking add campaigns by all sides... And yes I also include in this the Clinton persecution, perhaps especially so...  It all turned me off of getting deeply involved or invested in politics, just as I became old enough to vote....

So yea I'm always ready to discuss voting and my reasons for not yet choosiong to do so..  

But I'm not sure  what this has to do with Mr Depp and his bizzare stances vis a vis the USA and the leisurly multi million dollar lifestyle the very same USA provides him right now...