Author Topic: question on elevation map methods  (Read 526 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
question on elevation map methods
« on: September 03, 2003, 06:15:53 PM »
I've finished the design of my terrain as far as all bases, oceans and etc goes I'm now trying to tackle the difficult part of making it all look good and being functional at the same time :)

any tips on easiest methods for importing different pieces of elevation maps into different areas of the terrain or does it have to be all one massive elevation map covering the whole thing to work?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 06:28:46 PM »
the method I'm going to attempt to use first is to export a bitmap of the terrain with small areas around each of the fields already set to the desired elevations and using photoshop or paintshop pro to cut n paste actual usgs elevation maps where I want them etc etc in a big colage type thing then importing it back into the editor.

correct strategy?

that and I hope the export hase a good color scale lol or is it just a greyscale that the te judges height off of?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 06:39:18 PM »
use bmp2map. You can take a grey scale bmp image and run it through the program (black for 0 elevation white for highest) and set max alt. So if you want white 6000ft (highest) you set it to 6k then export it.

Ask if someone has it up for dl if not email me and I'll send it to you.

I think Pokie may have it.

Offline gatso

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 09:41:54 AM »
AKbmp2map = your best friend right now.

It doesn't do a bunch of things I wish it did but its still a very useful little program.

Bear in mind as Batz said white=high black=low. Taking this one step further I set my max alt at 12,800ft. This means every level of the greyscale is 50ft and you can draw the entire map knowing the altitude of every single point, (ex. RGB 19,19,19 would be 1000ft).

Gatso

Offline nazoteck

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
A good tip
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 07:29:25 PM »
you can use blur too.  It gives your elevation in the end a more natrual look, but that is if you want.  It works very well.  Dont blur to much or your mountains might come out like domes lol.:)

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 07:34:14 PM »
fester you have came to save us from pizza?:D
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline nazoteck

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
PIZZA
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 07:50:29 PM »
That Pizza map kind of did look funky lol:)
but it had nice textures and everything.:D