Author Topic: brains needed for hosting problem  (Read 323 times)

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
brains needed for hosting problem
« on: September 04, 2003, 12:49:10 AM »
I can't host in h2h ... I need some Skuzzy input here /or any other brainiacs suggestions please .

OK here goes my pc is pritty much the same as what i hosted with last year. and here is the current setup and changes.

i have popup stopper pro vs the old freeware verson
im using ontracks av program vs AVG's that i used last year .
my internet settings are the same ...
i have the same port config ... 3000-5000 are open
same wingman profiler running...
same old win 98se verson...
pw protected hd still the same ....
DX9.0b   vs dx8.1a

the new things runnin are......

Callwaves internet ansering machine .(which is supposed to turn off call waiting) it seams to work just fine ...I dont get discoed when someone calls ,
Lucent 56k modem card... it works fine ...

im on a good isp, connect speeds 49333-50666 all the time very steady ... i get one disco every 6 hours .. the isp does it for a reset i think (accordind to them)... and i sometimes get discoed during the heavy internet use hours...($#*& happens )

I was on a 650kbps dsl connect last year.

I have turned everything off .AV,popup,the ansering program everything . along with trying the one thing off at a time testing too... i  even lowered the security setting in win 98 down to the min.
I have ping time to the main at 170  and no problem playing AH.

One thing to note here is i havent been able to transmit on VC here or in msn messenger .(my sound drivers and everything is the same as last year and my VC tranmit was fine) it works in rodger wilco ok still ... and I can hear just fine.

I'm sort of getting down to one option left .... I use iSPwest as my ISP and ive been quite pleased w/ the service. even that email has been clean from all the bugs running around,

Could my ISP have a port or something like that closed ect ... that could stop me from hosting  and or my Voice transmit problem ???

And if so what should i ask them ???

Thanks
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Roscoroo(work)

• Copper Member
      • http://members.ispwest.com/roscoroo/
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 03:52:32 PM »
I know this one has you all stumped.... do i have to offer a reward to get this figured out ???

<---- i'll give ya my bouncy avitar ....

one thing to add is i cant host any other games either...
And i'm not behind a firewall .

Offline DAVENRINO

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 04:10:30 PM »
Yup stumped, and BTW already stole your bouncy avatar. :D
DJ229 - AIR MAFIA
DAVE aka DJ229-AIR MAFIA
CH USB HOTAS/ONKYO 705 7.2 SURROUND SOUND/ 60" SONY A3000 SXRD  TV

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 09:54:46 PM »
I still need help with this puppy ..... I asked my isp and they said that they dont understand how i could have a problem as long as i was able to dwn load and upload.....

Skuzzy any idea's ........ im stuck ..... thanks
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2003, 02:12:48 PM »
Well,..I would shut down every single program/service in the OS I could, then go from there.

Oh, just because your download speed is high does not mean a thing.  Your upload rate will be substantially slower.  Probably around 19.2K or 21.6K at best, but could go as low as 14.4K.

Something is either blocking ports or you just cannot get the upload speed needed to host.  Even if you get it to working, you are going to be severely limited over a dial-up connection.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Roscoroo(work)

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 03:59:03 PM »
thanks Skuzzy ...

I was starting to think its an upload speed problem also....

ive done the ole shut done each thing test and retest until my system was wide open , with nothing running ( ctrl atl del )
and ive always ran the least amount of stuff possiable on my startup menu.

i can upload using ftp to my website  but its always been really slow ....  i get time outs during prime time alot...

I asked my isp about it and they didnt know why ...

I cant talk on voice either , or host any other game.

Guess i'll have to wait til later this winter when i can get back on dsl again.   its just strange ... i used to be able to host  3 years ago on dial up ....  maybe a different modem card  will work ...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 04:48:48 PM »
You never know about dial-up.  The phone company can do some strange routing with phone calls and they will do it and do it quite regularly.
Some of the routing of calls can cause really bad connections, depending on what type of switch they go through or how many switched they traverse.
If your ISP is on the ball, they can tell you what the signal strengths are of the inbound and outbouad signals.  Sometimes the phone company messes this up and you have to nudge them to have them fix it.  Usually, they are happy to as it solves a problem for them.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Roscoroo(work)

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 05:30:07 PM »
Thanks ... ill start bugging them instead :D