Author Topic: Set-Up for 9-12-03  (Read 1978 times)

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
Set-Up for 9-12-03
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2003, 01:22:15 AM »
karnac states the seafire to be the worst possible and the spit 5 to be the best possible, arent they pretty much the same plane???

g10-i cant do anything with that plane but compress it.
dora-love it, best B&Z ride for me.

flame on!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: 109g-10 is not a K4
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2003, 10:38:39 PM »
Originally posted by walkingdead21
Your high if you think the G10 is modeled to go 452 mph!
top speed of AHs G-10 which is not a K4 is only 420 on a good day with the wind at your back!. That is level flight gentleman not in a slight dive. Not to mention it is not modeled to be even close to the K4s turning ability....

Wraith

Turning ability?? There is little weight differnce between the G-10 and K-4, about 10 gallons of gas difference (60-65 lbs). They also have the same wing area. So, explain how the K-4 turns so much better than the G-10, because I don't see how it's possible.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Set-Up for 9-12-03
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2003, 10:51:04 PM »
snocone,

The Seafire and Spitfire lines are not the same.  The Seafire Mk IIc we have is the worst of all Seafires used, from a performance standpoint.  The Seafire Mk Ic was the Spitfire Mk Vb with a tail hook.  The Seafire Mk IIc added more strength for naval ops, but very few of the early Seafire Mk IIc like we have were produced before the uprated Seafire Mk IIc was introduced.  All Seafire Mk IIcs that had been produced up to that time were refitted with the more powerful engine of the newer and more common Seafire Mk IIc.  The definative wartime Seafire and the most common was the Seafire Mk III.

walkingdead,

You need to actually test the bf109G-10 before you open your yap.

I would like to see a Bf109K-4, but you are full of it if you think our Bf109G-10 maxes at 420mph.  You are also full of it if you think the icon on the Spitfire Mk XIV doesn't handicap it severely.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Set-Up for 9-12-03
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2003, 11:26:32 PM »
OK, I tested the Bf109G-10 offline.  I climbed to 22,100ft, set autolevel on and turned on the WEP.  At about 300mph indicated I turned on the film recorder.  I let it accelerate while I made a sandwich.  After about 7.5 minuted I turned off the film recorder.  The speed indicated at that time looked to be about 445mph.

When I reviewed the film it appeared that it took about a minute to reach 420mph from 300mph.  After about three minutes the speed was pegged at 450mph, where it remained for the rest of the film.  I don't know what the optimum altitude is for the Bf109G-10's best speed, but 450mph isn't far off of 452mph.

In regards to the Bf109K-4, I doubt that it will match the Spitfire Mk XIV.  Frankly I can't see how the Bf109K-4 would even warrant being perked.  In comparison with the Bf109G-10 it would handle a little better at high speed and have a slightly different list of armament options, but otherwise it would be largely the same aircraft.

I would like to see it added, but I can't see it's performance earning it the curse of a perk tag.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline PSYKOJR

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.54thscreamingeagles.com
Set-Up for 9-12-03
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2003, 05:10:06 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
Hehe... be careful what you ask for. :)

What did they do hijack it

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: 109g-10 is not a K4
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2003, 07:22:53 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Turning ability?? There is little weight differnce between the G-10 and K-4, about 10 gallons of gas difference (60-65 lbs). They also have the same wing area

I use this quote for a couple of reasons.

First:  While Widewing is unquestionably an expert on plane types and performance....he and you are all missing the point.

Second:  The point is:  In CT, are we going to go for balance, or for historical accuracy?

Reasonable minds will differ on "Second" (note that no reasonable mind could differ on "First").

I suggest....and it is only a suggestion...that we should do both.  Some weeks, do balanced.  Some weeks, do historical.  My guess is that the historical weeks will draw a combination of the dedicated crowd, and the MA weenies, but who knows?  The balanced weeks alread draw regular crowds.

- oldman