Author Topic: What this game needs....  (Read 572 times)

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
What this game needs....
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
bah...jets...

Waste of programmer's (and other ppl in team)time.

Offline FlyingDuckSittingSwan

• Copper Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2001, 01:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by jpeg:
bah...jets...

Waste of programmer's (and other ppl in team)time.

And you people try to pass of as plane enthusiasts? Or maybe you consider yourselves just WW2 era plane enthusiasts? I'll tell you one thing. I'm a real enthusiast. If it can fly, I like it! Anything from the Sopwith Camel to the SR-71.
Or maybe you're just WW2 prop plane online flight simmer enthusiast and hate real planes and planes in general?

which one is it?

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
So...when targetware comes out with their Korea game with jets and stuff....will you leave?    Please?

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2001, 09:41:00 PM »
I dont think there is a very big market for Jet Sims.  Theres not even a very big market for flight sims.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2001, 09:52:00 PM »
Further, just because there is a market doesn't mean a business should go out and grab it. I think one of the reasons HTC is apparently doing well at the moment is they have remained focused primarily on one thing; flying. All aspects of play are designed to enhance flying, therefore the main thrust of development is towards delivering a quality flying experience. As the market evolves we have noted pushes in other directions as well, but always the primary concern is flying.

HTC has already said there would be submarines and grunts in the next year; this should not be construed to mean they will be fully fleshed out as in a stand-alone fps or sub simulation. It does add a new dimension to gameplay nonetheless, and gives the pilots something else to think about.

This is not WWIIO; ironically it may wind up succeeding where the other appears to be failing, why? Because we all know walking in what is the primary focus of the game. We understand how the other pieces fit into the picture, and hopefully won't try to micromanage every aspect (too much anyway) of the fps and sub aspects. WWIIO touted a complete implementation of all aspects of the game, and sadly this appears to be beyond their grasp.

This in my opinion is why it is a waste of time to compare AH to WWIIO.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2001, 09:54:00 PM »
If the above is confusing, here is the condensed version; HTC's niche is WWII aerial combat, period.

• Copper Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2001, 12:17:00 AM »
Anyone else see the contradiction in Kieran's post?

I think one of the reasons HTC is apparently doing well at the moment is they have remained focused primarily on one thing; flying. All aspects of play are designed to enhance flying, therefore the main thrust of development is towards delivering a quality flying experience.  

HTC has already said there would be submarines and grunts in the next year;  

Excuse my ignorance, but I think jet fighters have more to do with flying than subs or grunts.

Hitech should look into what I said if he hasn't done so already. What has he got to lose??   :confused:

• Copper Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2001, 04:10:00 AM »
---deleted due to sun spots----

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: FlyingDuckSittingSwan ]

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2001, 08:00:00 AM »
Subs were in WWIIO. Jets, for the most part, were not. You can use WWIIO planes to hunt for subs. Subs were a real threat to fleets (CVs), hence a threat to mobile airfields that WWIIO prop planes (not jets) could use.

Making sense?

And before you parse out the other aspect I mentioned, yes, there were grunts in WWIIO. In fact, in ground attack missions (in prop planes, but not jets) WWII pilots often tried to strafe them. So you see, WWII had grunts.

But not (many) jets.  ;)

Offline K West

• Silver Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2001, 08:58:00 AM »
"So...when targetware comes out with their Korea game with jets and stuff....will you leave?"

:) It'll be most interesting to see the Targetware folks in action. When any of thier games are finally out and they get a real community then past diatribes and dissertations can be put into actual practice. We'll see how they do for real.  ;)

Westy

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
"Jets are for kids."
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2001, 08:50:00 PM »
Jets are boreing. Faster planes get the less fun the sim becomes. Jet sim would be a waste of HTC's programming genius.

Now a WW1 sim...that would be something. We all know he can do it   ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
What this game needs....
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2001, 08:54:00 PM »
There ya go, Rosco! And between the two ... the Spanish Civil War.  :D

Spanish Civil War Multiplayer Online Flightsim Site