Author Topic: Probably fake, but still a nice thought  (Read 609 times)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Probably fake, but still a nice thought
« on: September 09, 2003, 01:24:53 AM »
As I sat in my seat of the Boeing 767 waiting for everyone to hurry and stow their carry-ons and grab a seat so we could start what I was sure to be a long, uneventful flight home. With the huge capacity and slow moving people taking their time to stuff luggage far too big for the overhead and never paying much attention to holding up the growing line behind them, I simply shook my head knowing that this flight was not starting out very well. I was anxious to get home to see my loved ones so I was focused on "my" issues and just felt like standing up and yelling for some of these clowns to get their act together. I knew I couldn't say a word so I just thumbed thru the "Sky Mall" magazine from the seat pocket in front of me. You know it's really getting rough when you resort to the over priced, useless sky mall crap to break the monotony. With everyone finally seated, we just sat there with the cabin door open and no one in any hurry to get us going although we were well past th
e scheduled take off time. No wonder the airline industry is in trouble I told myself. Just then, the attendant came on the intercom to inform us all that we were being delayed. The entire plane let out a collective groan. She resumed speaking to say "We are holding the aircraft for some very special people who are on their way to the plane and the delay shouldn't be more than 5 minutes. The word came after waiting six times as long as we were promised that "I" was finally going to be on my way home. Why the hoopla over "these" folks? I was expecting some celebrity or sport figure to be the reason for the hold up.........Just get their butts in a seat and lets hit the gas I thought.

The attendant came back on the speaker to announce in a loud and excited voice that we were being joined by several U. S. Marines returning home from Iraq!!! Just as they walked on board, the entire plane erupted into applause. The men were a bit taken by surprise by the 340 people cheering for them as they searched for their seats. They were having their hands shook and touched by almost everyone who was within an arm's distance of them as they passed down the aisle. One elderly woman kissed the hand of one of the Marines as he passed by her. The applause, whistles and cheering didn't stop for a long time. When we were finally airborne, "I" was not the only civilian checking his conscience as to the delays in "me" getting home, finding my easy chair, a cold beverage and the remote in my hand. These men had done for all of us and I had been complaining silently about "me" and "my" issues. I took for granted the everyday freedoms I enjoy and the conveniences of the American way
of life I took for granted others paid the price for my ability to moan and complain about a few minutes delay to "me" those Heroes going home to their loved ones. I attempted to get my selfish outlook back in order and minutes before we landed I suggested to the attendant that she announce over the speaker a request for everyone to remain in their seats until our hero's were allowed to gather their things and be first off the plane. The cheers and applause continued until the last Marine stepped off and we all rose to go about our too often taken for granted everyday freedoms...I felt proud of them. I felt it an honor and a privilege to be among the first to welcome them home and say Thank You for a job well done. I vowed that I will never forget that flight nor the lesson learned. I can't say it enough, THANK YOU to those Veterans and active service men and women who may read this and a prayer for those who cannot because they are no longer with us. GOD BLESS AMERICA! WELCOME
HOME! AND THANKS FOR A JOB WELL DONE!!!!! This is a ribbon for soldiers/Marines fighting in around the world.

Pass this ribbon on to everyone you know and pray for our service men and women and for the leadership of this wonderful nation.

Disregard the typical cheezy ending, but I really like the reminder that everyday freedom is not to be taken for granted.:)
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2003, 01:31:36 AM »
Would be nice if ya knew it actually happened...I'm hoping it did. :)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2003, 09:14:05 AM »
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2003, 09:19:08 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
Might be true... might not.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/comehome.asp

Probably was.

Not long ago I was on Jury duty call.  I saw a uniformed young black soldier that was standing outside a fast food restaurant across the street from the court house. This was about a week into "the war" with Iraq.  I felt inspired to walk up to him and thank him for protecting our country, and for doing his duty(which, if you know me by now, I typically do this to all service men and women, and before you insult me, take a moment and excuse my behavior, I'm very patriotic)  Before I could approach him, someone else walked up to him and shook his hand and thanked him for our service to our country.  I felt good about that. (And before I knew it, he was gone when I came out of the restaurant so I never did get to shake his hand).

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2003, 12:45:42 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Probably was.

Not long ago I was on Jury duty call.  I saw a uniformed young black soldier that was standing outside a fast food restaurant across the street from the court house. This was about a week into "the war" with Iraq.  I felt inspired to walk up to him and thank him for protecting our country, and for doing his duty(which, if you know me by now, I typically do this to all service men and women, and before you insult me, take a moment and excuse my behavior, I'm very patriotic)  Before I could approach him, someone else walked up to him and shook his hand and thanked him for our service to our country.  I felt good about that. (And before I knew it, he was gone when I came out of the restaurant so I never did get to shake his hand).

Not going to razz you at all.
On the contrary I'm going to commend you.
When I was in the Army I used to ask myself is it really worth all the watermelon im putting myself trough?
And then some woman at the airport or shopping mall would walk her son over to me to shake my hand .
LOL the little boy thought i was superman or sumpim LOL.
It's those times that kept me in the service of my country when I was tierd of the BS and my body has had enough.
So Ripsnort you indeed make a service mans day by walking up and shaking there hand They do remember it .
Thx Ripsnort and all Good Americans who take the time to care.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2003, 01:02:43 PM »
Amen
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2003, 01:06:18 PM »
And from those of us still in uniform, to all of you for supporting us.  Sure is a far cry from the Vietnam era.  

SK2 DiabloTX
CDS-6 Det. Echo
Supply Dept. Head
NMCRC Houston, TX
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2003, 01:14:47 PM »
I've got a guy in my new office..just met him the other day.

I thought it was nice that he had a huge american flag covering one entire wall of his office. It's not often you see patriotism in this industry. People generally worship "Green" and few other colors..with the possible exception of "Pink".

Anyway, I was going to compiment him on his flag when I saw his coffee mug. "1st Infantry Division..The Big Red 1"

So I inquired, and he said he was a Vietnam Vet. Though it's a little uncomfortable for me to say things like this to people, I simply said "Thank you for erverything you've done for our country" and went back to my desk.

Offline rc51

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 07:58:39 PM »
Muckmaw you probably made his day.

Offline Scootter

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 09:16:49 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
And from those of us still in uniform, to all of you for supporting us.  Sure is a far cry from the Vietnam era.  

SK2 DiabloTX
CDS-6 Det. Echo
Supply Dept. Head
NMCRC Houston, TX

EX-USAF here
43 CES  Fire/Rescue
Maxwell AFB AL.
1980-1985

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2003, 09:30:33 PM »
Diablo,

Retired tanker here since 2000.

Asked to go back in 2001 but couldn't get back in.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown