Author Topic: The GunZoom command.  (Read 212 times)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
The GunZoom command.
« on: November 25, 1999, 02:05:00 AM »
I only found out yesterday about the "Z" command.

And now i finally understand how my opponents can make those d6+ kills on me.

What do you all think of this feature? Me personally think this would be great for an HA arena with no icons, but in the main arena i think it should be turned off.

As for realism, well its not very realistic is it?  

//-nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 1999, 02:17:00 AM »
Most dont use it in a six shot.. I never have.Blow your SA all to hell.

But i do use it for about 3 seconds in The HO merge againt palne with Cannons.. Let me track shots along the wing..

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 1999, 08:33:00 AM »
Its acctually the unzoomed view that is unrealistic. The wind screen from a p51 would not fit in a 17 inch monitor, everything in the game is much smaller 1/3? that in real life. For most things this isnt important but for longer range shooting it is. They have given us a means to make the gunsight view a bit more realistic as for scale. I like to get a good look at the bad guy even if I miss so I use the zoom unless hes less then d200. The zoom key is where you will see gan camera like hits..

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 1999, 08:55:00 AM »
Pongo,

I fully agree and understand that in RL the enemy plane would be _alot_ bigger target.

All i am saying is that i dont see an need for the unrealistic laserguided targetting system that we now have if we got the Zoom wiew.

Having _both_ the Zoom view and the neon signs are perhaps overkill imho. But as i said an HA arena with no icons would be interesting with the Zoom feture.

// -nr-1-

[This message has been edited by Maniac (edited 11-25-1999).]

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 1999, 09:55:00 AM »
I agree about the icons, I don't understand the laser guiding part.. all it does is make the view more like the real size. If it was allready real size and it trippled it so i could pick out the tail gunner at 1.2k I wouldnt like it either. Some of the weapons can be effective at d800-1000 It takes alot of ammo but you can bring down a buff at that range with a 190. But not it he is 1/3rd size.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 1999, 11:22:00 AM »
There goes the "realism" flag up the pole again.

Where do we start? With autopilots in fighters? Perhaps with automatic fuel management? Or shall we discuss on-board fighter radar? How about overmodeled/overemphasized trim effects?

<BG> Concessions to Gameplay? Or Departures from Realism? You be the judge!

The zoom view, depending on how far you zoom it, can present a more "realistic" plane size at the expense of field of view. The user does give up some FOV/SA during zoom use.

I have far, far less theoretical problems with the zoom feature than I do with the totally bogus icon features. Those are not optional, can't be turned off and carry no SA penalty.

Just my .02
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 1999, 01:17:00 PM »
When I do snap shots from 600 yards or more, I dont use zoom, it is simply too shaky for sharp shot IMO.
I did once try and do surprise attacks with zoom, nothing, blew my chances more likely than them, same when attacking B-17s.

Also kind of good feature for my 15" monitor :P

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 1999, 08:51:00 PM »
And why isnt zoom realistic??? All your doing is moving your head foward of course this may be new but it is realistic.

And besides it hurts my eye when I put my face up on my monitor.

------------------
Gijoey,Joetwo,JoeMud=me
 DHBG!!

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 1999, 03:57:00 AM »
After evaluating the Zoom feature for one night in AH i have realized that its not that big advantage after all.

Used correctly in an HO and on an "static target" its an big help tough but not in an dog fight.

// -nr-1-

Offline Grumpy

• Zinc Member
The GunZoom command.
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 1999, 12:56:00 PM »
I'll sum up the most important use for the
zoom in one word....ground attack (<g> I know, two words, but I'm a pilot, not a mathematician!)

Seriously though, this is a "feature" that is
long overdue in the AW/WB type world...
the POV limitations imposed by real world
monitor sizes has always made the targets
SEEM too small. If we all had monitors as
wide as the windscreen/panel of our favorite
plane, there'd be no problem. (c'mon SANTA!)

Using the zoom isn't all that much different
than leaning forward into you deflector sight
and getting a better line on a target.

Good feature and really makes it easier to
line up those flak guns for a strafing run
(if only my "wobbly" flying style would let
 me actually HIT them)

Grumpy