Author Topic: Player ID from Dot Click  (Read 415 times)

Offline wplantagenet

• Zinc Member
Player ID from Dot Click
« on: September 21, 2003, 05:18:15 PM »
Perhaps this has been discussed before, but how many of you would also (besides me) like to have the ability to identify individual, friendly players by clicking their dots on the map? So, if you want to know who that dot is heading to Base XX, you can click on the dot on the map and find out.

So many times, I see a fellow countryman is over in an area where I plan on going, and I want to get a site report before I get there. You can ask for days in the chat window, and never get an answer. Unless people see their name pop up, they barely pay attention to what's being asked -- but if you knew who to ask, you could ask by name.

That's just one little benefit I can think of, but you guys can probably come with many others. Now, for those that want to maintain a certain amount of anonymity from their own people, or are paranoid about other countries having spies that could relay their personal location to assassins waiting in the wings, maybe there could be a setting where you could turn on or off the ID feature. But, the default would be *on*.

Yay/Nay?

WP

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Player ID from Dot Click
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 09:48:55 PM »
Sounds like a cool idea though we currently have a somewhat similar function now with .wingman command.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
Player ID from Dot Click
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 10:26:24 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Sounds like a cool idea though we currently have a somewhat similar function now with .wingman command.

Not really, you have to know they players name to get the dot to change. He wants to be able to tell who the dot is. I kinda like it, but it would have to include the disable feature to help keep bounty hunters away.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Player ID from Dot Click
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 10:47:54 PM »
How about dot-clicking dar info allowed only for friendlies?

Or, if dot clicking radar info sounds too much like AWACS.. :) maybe an alternate, "locate person" function?

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Player ID from Dot Click
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2003, 11:15:18 PM »
Originally posted by Lazerus
Not really, you have to know they players name to get the dot to change. He wants to be able to tell who the dot is. I kinda like it, but it would have to include the disable feature to help keep bounty hunters away.

I think he means even freindly dots.... becuase bountys have been put out on people i know,and fly with ... it's kinda funny ... but maybe unwanted by some...

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Player ID from Dot Click
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 01:56:14 PM »
I can see the benefit in this. Maybe even have a button on the clipboard to turn on/off names of all friendlies (on the map next to the dots).
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.