Author Topic: <S> Eagler! (Spit V v 109F)  (Read 482 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
<S> Eagler! (Spit V v 109F)
« on: September 16, 2003, 06:56:31 PM »
I don't like the small MA maps, so went to the CT instead. Flew 109F against planes like Hurr, Spit V, P40.

Eagler - thanks for that duel we had! You were not afraid to take on 2, and after my friend was dead, I had to deal with you alone!

I noticed right away that the difference in performance between the 109F and Spit V is much more marginal in AH than in Brand-W. In W, the 109F could always run away from the Spit V, laughing as it went...

So I had to fight properly, and not rely on any MA crap! It was great!  I was sure you were going to get me. I was trying to use the 109F "superior climb rate" - fat lot of good that did me - lol. So I just tried to keep the nose up, trying to force you to bleed your E and stall. Eventually, the turning point came for me... but it could have gone either way. Flippin' 'eck! That was something. :eek: The end result was academic. But big in order. :cool:

See you tomorrow! And if the sides are as lopsided as they were tonight, I'll change to Allied.

PS - sorry, but I wasn't filming. :(

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
<S>
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 07:30:40 PM »
feel lost in the spitV - any spit really

yep - sides were lopsided (3 to 1) most of time I was on tonite - that's how I ended up flying the fish & chip wagon in the first place

fun fite - would rather have been in the 109f :)

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline pangea

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 08:52:36 AM »
Good to see some folks can fight the Spit V in a 109F.  I am not one of them.  Have had my lunch handed to me all week thus far flying the 109F.  I also thought the 109F had the edge in climb rate and speed, but found out the hard way that the "edge" is marginal at best.

Can either of you (or anyone else for that matter) share some tips for fighting the Spit V in a 109F?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2003, 09:24:19 AM by pangea »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 09:28:08 AM »
no gonds 25% fuel with dt - drop it as soon as you id the spit

I like to t&b the spit if he's a loner - more than one you usually have to stay faster and even run to ur buds if you don't hurt one of them quickly

avoid the HO
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2003, 09:46:22 AM »
Hey pangea!  I know exactly where you live! Close to SR64/North Avenue? I used to fly out of Dupage County airport with Planemasters!  I think they changed their name a long time ago though...

Yes, the 109F - forgot to mention that I had gondolas, which might impair performance, although I don't notice a difference in the G2/G10. Haven't tried the F4 without gondolas.

Certainly the 109F4 cannot turn with the SpitV. I just focussed on keeping as much E in the bank as I could, earning interest, until I was ready to spend it. I was dropping 1 notch of flap going over the top of loops, and had started with 75% fuel.

Eagler - I've just remembered I can't make the CT tonight, but tomorrow should be OK.

Offline pangea

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2003, 12:01:04 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Beet1e, small world, huh?  Yeah, I live about a mile from DuPage Airport.  How long has it been since you flew out of DuPage?  They did a major renovation of the Airport several years ago.  Lot of business flights come in and out of there now.  You probably wouldn't recognize it if you haven't been there in the last 10 years or so.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 03:33:00 PM »
pangea -

I flew out of DuPage in the early 1990s. It was at Dupage that I submitted my British licence and got the FAA pilot's licence. I was amazed that the cost for this service was... nothing! Just went along to the GADO center...

There were various FBOs at DPA back then. One I flew with was American Flyers. They were relatively expensive, and ran C172s. I flew one of those to one of the small fields out there - Sterling Rock Falls?  But then I discovered Planemasters. They had Pipers - I was happier with those. Flew their Arrow 4, but the FAA (and perhaps the FBO) wanted 15 hours from me before I could solo it. So I just elected to fly one of their Warriors - PA28-161. As a regular customer, they just had me do about 3 circuits the last time I hired from them. I then went on a jolly to Cedar Rapids and back - 165nm in each direction. What I remember about the outbound flight was being distracted by ATC, and inadvertently entering cloud. I dropped 500' and got out of the cloud.... and there, in front of me lay this huge expanse of water. I wondered if I should have brought my life jacket, so vast was this stretch of water! It was, of course, the Mississippi River! Having crossed it, I knew I was into Iowa.

Hehe, ATC had a job understanding me - lol - but I was dead impressed with all the services - Radar Flight Following and all - and that most of those medium sized airports have radar.