Author Topic: Just saw Bowling for Columbine...  (Read 1372 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Just saw Bowling for Columbine...
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2003, 10:07:06 AM »
Originally posted by ra
Is the cartoon a documentary too?
Ask the people who award the Oscars!

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2003, 02:40:05 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e

The BfC cartoon was a hoot. :lol

Only if you are ignorant, now you aren't ignorant beetle, are you?  ;) :( :mad: :lol :eek:

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2003, 04:10:01 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Only if you are ignorant, now you aren't ignorant beetle, are you?  ;) :( :mad: :lol :eek:
Hehe - no, but the cartoon sequence did seem to make a good point.

Unlike many here, I didn't take BfC that seriously. But some good points were made.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2003, 05:00:51 PM »
It was simply a series of lies. Apprently the main purpose was to tie in US gun culture to racism and concentration of "white" power through some supposed special relationship between the NRA and the KKK. But what point do you think it made?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2003, 05:04:17 PM »
Ask me next month! :cool:

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2003, 05:08:10 PM »
:)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2003, 10:13:37 PM »
Grunherz you make some good points but you spoil it with your overblown rhetoric and certainty sometimes. I suspect you'll mellow a bit with age and dare I say it, wisdom. The world isn't quite as black and white as you seem to think it is. I speak from experience.  

It wasn't lies, grunherz, it was flavoured opinion, some truth some inaccuracy. Same as your opinions.  A lie is a deliberate act. Moore is just airing his view of the world.

Now I haven't seen BfC but I'm familiar with Moore's work. Frankly you need people like him to burst some people's bubbles. He is quite right about so many things but like you blows it by exaggerating. Sometimes I'm not sure if he can tell the difference between entertainment and political commentary. But ultimately his purpose is to make you think about what is going on around you and less willing to accept all the BS being fed to us by politicians, media and business of all persuasions.  I take everything with a pinch of salt these days. Me personally: I'm a  left wing right winger, a liberal with lefty instincts and right wing sympathies.  In a word, a moderate.  I think like most of us.  That's the best place to be.

On the slavery issue. Europeans didn't invent it. It  was around for millenia. It's still with us in one form or another. As for African slaves, well the truth is that Africans sold other Africans as slaves to Europe and America and indeed Africans maintained  the slave trade within Africa right up to the early twentieth century. America was just a bit behind the other western countries in abolishing slavery. But that doesn't mean they were entirely responsible for it. For people of any colour to continue to raise the issue of slavery in the USA  140 years after it was abolished is ludicrous. Nobody alive has any responsibility for slavery back then and nobody can claim that their life has been effected by their ancestors being slaves.  It's just opportunism and excuses.   As far as I'm concerned it's a non issue.  People should be more concerned with modern slavery which is ongoing all over the world right now. The latest edition of National Geographic highlighted that. Maybe people should exercise the 'angst and trauma' on that issue.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2003, 10:22:49 PM by cpxxx »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2003, 08:28:01 AM »
Ya know.... the movie seemed to say that the more racialy divese you are the more gun violence you will have.
lazs