Author Topic: Voice options in AH?  (Read 204 times)

Granger

Voice options in AH?
« on: September 19, 1999, 03:45:00 PM »
One of the unique options in airwarrior3 is the ability to use "vox".
I believe this sets this sim apart from warbirds, which i guess you could use rogerwilco or battlefield communicator. The built in vox in warbirds is very poor quality.
In airwarrior it sounds like a telephone, crisp, clear and damn near perfect. Nothin beats talkin to your buddys while flyin. No typing deaths here..heh.
Is AH going to incoporate this feature?
If not..I guess squads can use rw or bc..but would be neat to have it within the program.

Granger

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Voice options in AH?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 1999, 10:22:00 PM »
There will be voice comms built into the game.  The core of it has been written, but it hasn't actually been implemented yet.  That is something that will have to get done during the course of the beta.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
Voice options in AH?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 1999, 04:26:00 AM »
As long as it's better than the voice comm that comes with WB i can live with it.

Until we get built in voice comm: Will RW work with the AH beta?

Sascha

Offline Rifle

• Zinc Member
Voice options in AH?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 1999, 08:22:00 AM »
Or better yet, why not contract resounding to incorporate RW into AH ?

Cheers,
      Rifle

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
Voice options in AH?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 1999, 09:40:00 AM »
Punting to get an answer from all you lucky alpha testers:
Did you successfully use RW with AH during the alpha?

BTW: AW3 used to tape all voices  to the guncam films, which was pretty cool....

Sascha

[This message has been edited by Sascha JG 77 (edited 09-20-1999).]

Offline Tone

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dweebsofdeath.com
Voice options in AH?
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 1999, 08:36:00 AM »
RW should certainly work with AH.  We have not found a sim that it will not work with (though some make it a little more difficult).  I will make sure that RW Mark Ia (and later versions) automatically disseminate any tweaks needed to make AH work (or sooner, had I a beta account  ).

However, an integration is better still from the user perspective.  We license our technology for free (there is an SDK on our site for download under the Developer Information button at  http://www.rogerwilco.com).

Looking forward to flying.  At the very least I'll make sure AH enjoys the same support in web-based tuning as I've been working on for WB's.

tone

[This message has been edited by Tone (edited 09-21-1999).]

Brick

Voice options in AH?
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 1999, 12:44:00 PM »
Hey Tone - do you know if you guys are going to (and please scold me if it's there and I've overlooked it) support higher-bandwidth connections?  I am using an ADSL connection and often play online stuff with a friend who has a cablemodem.  We've found that RW works really well, but there seems to be a bit more lag in transmit / receive times than Battle Com.  Well, I mean, there's a bit more lag than if we take BC and crank the throughput to the max.

You've got 'em beat in my mind though.... RW allows us to play free.  

Andy

Mamba

Voice options in AH?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 1999, 05:57:00 PM »
IMHO to have voice comms seamless in the sim is by far the best option. The only draw back I have found with RW is the need to swap IP addresses before attempting to set up the link. This can be a painful process and hence my vote for a built in comms package.

------------------
With canon balls and bullets up my ......

Offline Tone

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dweebsofdeath.com
Voice options in AH?
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 1999, 08:51:00 PM »
Mamba -- quite right!  Integration solves that sort of thing nicely.

Brick -- I usually found our latency to be less than BC's, but have sometimes noticed otherwise.  I *do* know that our Mark II code (which uses our SDK) reduces latency considerably over the Mark I series.  Our latency varies by the channel size and the modems each person brings to it (the most usable channel sizes of 4-12 usually have latency less than or equal to a client-server speech product).

Can anyone offer me a quick "cheater" insight into the AH beta arena structure?  Will we all be in one?  What are the countries called?  I can whip up a web-based tuner to support the beta really quick and will be happy to do so.  This will eliminate Mamba's biggest gripe, if not entirely meeting the desire to make use of it transparent.

tone

Breeze

Voice options in AH?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 1999, 10:08:00 PM »
Better yet, get one of your squadies who has a box on the net 24/7 run a full time RW server ;-) Our squad has 2 RW servers so we don't have to worry about what ip to use this week. Of course when the RW server crashes... eh hum... ;-)

------------------
Sam "Breeze" West
Royal Knights 123rd TFW
XO ~RK^ A Guerre!