Author Topic: Dixie Chicks...  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Dnil

• Silver Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2003, 05:55:13 PM »
go with what you like, thats what music is for, what moves you.  

Just because its more difficult doesnt make it better.

Hell that wwiiol fm used to be uber difficult.

Offline Cougar68

• Nickel Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2003, 07:33:45 PM »
A song that only has 3 chords doesn't automatically make it a "simple" tune.  For example, go take a look at Jerry Reed's "The Claw."  It's technical, engaging and amazing to listen to.

And I think I have some kind of idea on what I'm talking about since I make my living as a guitar player in Nashville.

Cougar

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2003, 10:45:54 PM »
Originally posted by Pfunk
1st and foremost RATM never was a Rap group, granted they infused rap into their music but they were never Rap artists, they were rock plain and simple.  

Beastie Boys should not be considered as rap artist either, they started out as a punk rock band and slowly infused rap as well as techno,funk,ska,reggae.  While both bands may have some rap elements neither are "rap"

While your first statement has some validity, I believe that Zach De LaRocha, brought a lyrical style to his music that resembled rap more than rock. The Guitar of Tom Morello, could be called a Stringed Turntable the way he jammed on it.

But, the Beastie Boys.

Every Album the beastie boys have released has been an experiment. But I would say the Beastie's have and always be a rap venue.

The Beastie Boys revolutionized Rap music and its genre in the 80's. And RATM did it in the 90's.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2003, 01:27:23 AM »
Originally posted by fd ski
Well, 11 years of music school, 3rd generation musician in the family, married to a woman with Masters from Juilliard.
But then again, you prabably don't know what it is.

In terms of creativity and originality musically and lyrics Country music by enlarge is quite dreadful. There were some good Country musicians, no doubt, but anyone here could qualify as one as well, all you need to know is C chord, F chord and G-9 chord, that and sappy lyrics about how you can't get any p...y, you're all set. Instant star !!!

If you are so knowledgeable about music, you would know there are many talented musicians in country music. Alot more instruments are used in country music than you think. Steel guitars, fiddles, I could go on. C chord, F-Chord?, sounds like a rock band to me.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2003, 06:43:45 AM »
I have never heard a rap thing clear through... I have had to threaten people with violence in order to do so.   There has never been anything worse that has been passed off as music.

Black kids pretending to be ghetto and white kids pretending to be hip.   Gawd are they all gonna be embarrassed in about 20 years.
lazs

Offline niknak

• Zinc Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2003, 06:54:05 AM »
its a little short sighted to dismiss all music in a genre as moribund because you don't like it (i guess many (old) people dismissed rock in the 50/60s)

Having said that, doesn't classical music suck bellybutton :) No wonder no one makes it anymore ;)

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2003, 08:10:54 AM »
Ski,
Did you or your wife ever attend Interlochen?

I was there in '78.

**And to beat the rest of you guys to it......This one time, at band camp.....

Offline trolla

• Copper Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2003, 08:14:46 AM »
Originally posted by Pfunk
Rap/Hip Hop artists can be defined by any of the following

TuPac
Biggie
DMX
Tribe called quest
NAS
Ice Cube
IceT
Ghetto Boys
NWA
Dr Dre
Eminem
50Cent

I think you get the picture

And the funny thing is they are all criminals/drug addicts ? :rofl
I would not give 50 cent for that music :lol

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2003, 08:43:50 AM »
Stinger, she was 2 at the time :D

She got her masters from Juilliard in 02.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2003, 08:54:00 AM »
"I make my living as a guitar player..."

Damn. And here I was thinking you were Dan Gurney in "shades"

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2003, 01:57:38 AM »
Originally posted by fd ski
...Well, 11 years of music school, 3rd generation musician in the family.....

In terms of creativity and originality musically and lyrics Country music by enlarge is quite dreadful. There were some good Country musicians, no doubt, but anyone here could qualify as one as well, all you need to know is C chord, F chord and G-9 chord, that and sappy lyrics about how you can't get any p...y, you're all set. Instant star !!!

Rap is more creative in pure techique sense, however, as mietla pointed out, it isn't above farting.

:D

lol... either your a complete troll AND liar...  OR, you took one too many hits of acid back at "band camp"...err "music school".
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 03:08:52 AM by Tumor »
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2003, 02:20:57 AM »
Originally posted by Nefarious

The Beastie Boys revolutionized Rap music and its genre in the 80's. And RATM did it in the 90's.

I like some of RATM and all, but I think you overstate their influence.
sand

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2003, 03:23:12 AM »
First, who gives a Rat's Arse what the Dixie Chicks think or say? Second, I hate to say this but Rock and Roll is just hanging around on life support, and the outlook is grim. The current "Rock" groups are just touring playing all their old songs. There is no new Rock out there. The current songs by Evanescence and Matchbox 20 hardly qualify as rock, ditto for Justin Timberlake, Jewel, Madonna, Brittany Spears,ect.
What is played on the majority of radio now is Hip-Hop and Rap.
Country music is no longer country either. It's now what we heard as Top 40 or Adult Contemporary back in the 70's (i.e. Shania Twain), with a very few exceptions such as George Strait. But, given the choice, I will listen to a Country station before a "Hot Hits" station every time. At least I can understand most of the lyrics.
Now comes the scary part...what will we be listening to in 10-15 years when the current generation of teens become parents and ask "What is that crap they are playing on the radio?"

I don't care what people say, Rock n Roll has gone away.:(
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2003, 03:26:10 AM »
Originally posted by rpm371
First, who gives a Rat's Arse what the Dixie Chicks think or say? Second, I hate to say this but Rock and Roll is just hanging around on life support, and the outlook is grim. The current "Rock" groups are just touring playing all their old songs. There is no new Rock out there. The current songs by Evanescence and Matchbox 20 hardly qualify as rock, ditto for Justin Timberlake, Jewel, Madonna, Brittany Spears,ect.
What is played on the majority of radio now is Hip-Hop and Rap.
Country music is no longer country either. It's now what we heard as Top 40 or Adult Contemporary back in the 70's (i.e. Shania Twain), with a very few exceptions such as George Strait. But, given the choice, I will listen to a Country station before a "Hot Hits" station every time. At least I can understand most of the lyrics.
Now comes the scary part...what will we be listening to in 10-15 years when the current generation of teens become parents and ask "What is that crap they are playing on the radio?"

I don't care what people say, Rock n Roll has gone away.:(

The Donna's are makin a pretty good stab at it.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Dixie Chicks...
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2003, 03:37:16 AM »
Originally posted by Tumor
The Donna's are makin a pretty good stab at it.

Yeah... but the Donna's aren't really new. There just rapidly becoming the flavor of the week.

Still... I think they're cool as hell. :)
sand