Author Topic: C/O looking for advice  (Read 695 times)

Offline irvinbrubacher

• Zinc Member
C/O looking for advice
« on: September 15, 2003, 06:55:45 PM »
I was just wondering if some of you other C/O's might be able to give me advice on improving squad relations? It seems noone wants to show up for training nights, but everyone wonders when we will do missions in MA. I dont feel that it is worth our time to go into the MA when noone is showing for training, cause if I cant depend on them at training how will I be able to depend on them in combat?  any advice would be appreciated   thnx:confused:

Offline najdorf

• Copper Member
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2003, 10:25:34 PM »
I'm not a CO, but the participation problem is one many squads have.  As the CO, you need to set the tone.  If you want your squad to be a certain way, you have to enforce that on the members.  If your members don't want to follow where you want to lead, then perhaps you need to make some adjustments to your roster.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2003, 10:58:05 PM »
im a CO. it is a very hard job to do. basicly you ask everyone when they are open and if a majority say the same day then go ahead and do a squad ops and/or training night on that date. you'll learn as you go on to be a better leader and that is how your squad gets bigger.

skull12
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2003, 01:15:56 AM »
Set a theme and stick to it. Dont think you can please them all, because you cant. Dont wreck your squad by catering to every whim. Start off more casual maybe, make friends and go from there, but dont be afraid to set guidelines and stick to them.

Squads are always a work in progress, and they wont be built in a day.

Good luck.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2003, 08:25:42 AM »
Well one of my guys has already stated a little of how I feel about this. A key component for me has been to find guys who have the opportunity to lead the squadron while the CO is otherwise occupied. I have surrounded myself within the squadron with a good core group of guys who are friends within the game and have "come together" well enough to function without me for a while due to work and real life.

I found out early by putting out the possibility of different squadron nights what would work and what wouldn't. We now have two nights a week dedicated to the squadron. One is training and the other is just having fun.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 09:11:10 AM »
As far as practice nights, you might let them go as a aquad into the MA and fly some sorties. The more they get shot down and the more they miss on bombing runs the more you can point out the need for practice. They will soon realize it is not just flying and fighting and  that there is a lot to learn and execute to be a efficient and cohesive squad.

68Falcon
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline 68KO

• Gold Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com
Hope this will help you
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2003, 11:25:06 AM »
I am 68KO and I am Co of the 68 Lightning Lancers. As a CO you must set a ground formation of rules to follow and stick with it. , ask the guys in your squad what days and times are good for them and set it just remmember real life has times where guys can not make it . It took me 5 yrs to get where we are today and I have a loyal following of 30guys . A fun note sometimes we goto the dueling arena and fight each other and the last man standing picks the next ride. That way we get the feel of different planes that might not be our first pic , and it is great fun to shoot down your fellow pilot we have a blast.
~Sue~ Mrs68KO!
My hubby (68KO) founded The 68th Lightning Lancers. :)

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2003, 07:19:22 PM »
I have found that with the several squads I have been in and the two I was CO of (VF-27 HELLCATS & JG 3 UDET) that the best way to run a squad is just like the Military does.

SET-UP:Get with your guys and make up a set of rules and code of conduct and you stick to them. When starting up you get all the members to agree on the best times for squad nights and practice nights.
Once the rules are set ENFORCE THEM. Sure you piss off some and may loose a few but it will be better in the long run. Make sure your current pilots and any new recruits know what is expected of them. Explain at first and if they still don't come around show them the door.

COMMAND:As CO you will set the pace of how things work in your squad. While it is encouraged to take suggestions and ideas from your pilots don't let your leadership process fall into a "debate" on everything. If you do that you will spend more time debating than flying. YOU are the CO - the buck stops with you and you make the final decision.
Pick a couple of the most dedicated pilots that know how to lead and fly and make one your XO and the others leaders of flights. Never try to do all the work yourself - spread authority to those that are capable. Encourage the others to work to get command positions - they will come along as your squad grows.

SQUAD NIGHTS: Keep this serious but still fun. Listen for ideas from your Leutnants for missions or just general fighter sweeps. Look over all the situations and see which will get your pilots the most kills for the least losses. Then call the mission, brief the pilots and take of. Success will weld your group into a SQUAD faster than anything else. Encourage them to fly like a SQUADRON not a mob all flying the same way.

PRACTICE: Keep this lite but business like. Exercise your squad in various things like formation flying, working together as wingmen, bombing a target, etc. Practice like this and working together will bring your bunch of individuals together as a team.
The second part of the practice seccession should be something to let them blow off steam and relax. We often do the KOTH in the dueling arena like the LANCERS. First couple of times with our squadron rides to get in some extra A2A practice then last couple is winners choice of aircraft. All the pilots in our squad really have a good time with this. Always fun to shoot one of your buddies down!  :D

MISC: First, a real help in recruiting is a sharp website. Have seen this many times - it is the impression most get of your squad. I have asked and many pilots have said this influenced their decision to join.
Second, get a private forum for your squad here on the BBS. This will also give you a since of "Community" and give your squad a place to post stuff just having to do with your squad.

Feel free to look over our website for JG 3 UDET for any ideas that might help you. Link is in my signature below.

Ultamately, the best advice I could give you is to forget about the MA and come fly in the CT. You won't regret it. ;)

Good Luck with the Squad. !
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline 68falcon

• Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2003, 08:13:38 PM »
Ultamately, the best advice I could give you is to forget about the MA and come fly in the CT. You won't regret it. ;)

Good Luck with the Squad. ! [/B][/QUOTE]

Have to agree with you. But most of all this part, the Lancers are doing more and more flying in the CT then the MA

68Falcon
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline DFunited

• Copper Member
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2003, 08:22:54 PM »
I am not a squad C/O, nowhere near it, but i am a member of a very tightnit squad, Dungeon (Family) squad.  What our squad C/O does, DFCOmust, is host meetings on our squad webpage using a chat program.  That way we stay close together and remain a good squad.  I hope this helps.

Our squad is always recruiting new members, check out our site at dungeonsquadat.netfirms.com for more details!!

Offline irvinbrubacher

• Zinc Member
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2003, 01:29:20 PM »
thank you to all who replied to this thread  all that advice is really appreciated   thanks again

Offline GA

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.no
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2003, 01:11:41 PM »
Yep a good advice is that you get guys that you respect and can help you alonge the way to make a great sqaud.

When I started the 332 Viking I begun with the squadron BBS forum(squads private forum) so the squad could talk there and keep a thight group. Then ideas and feed back will hit the BBS;).

And try get a Website up so you guys get a home;).

NB: Its not always the CO who makes the sqaud, its the group;).

Feel free to visit our site and you figure out fast how we build the sqaud. See also on the history part at the bottom, its my story how the 332 Viking was created.

And this is the military rules is important, take a look at my BBS picture on the left and you get the pictures ;).

Hope some off this could be any off help for you, and good luck with your squad.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
C/O looking for advice
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2003, 03:26:21 PM »
Don't belive everything you hear irvinbrubacher.