Author Topic: boroda tell us a story about sturmovics  (Read 346 times)

-towd_

boroda tell us a story about sturmovics
« on: September 20, 1999, 11:28:00 AM »
the IL2 was suposed to be a great plane for you guys and as AH in some future form will have vehicals (can we hope for tanks?) a sturmovic is a A1 tank killer and had armour to the extent of a light tank all round with a pilot/gunner bathtub armor.(main battle tank armor from rear aparently )

i read a post once about 190s putting  whole loads of 20 mm into the 6 of a sturmovic just to watch it fly away unharmed. Now That Is Some Armor.

this would be a great ground atack plane for AH imagine a plane that you had to worry about amount of ammo I.E. if you got less than 3/4 clip you realy aint got a good chance even if you do hit any where but the tiny cockpit whit tailgunner blazing away at you while you get on 6 (sinc a snap shot aint gonna do it).

and there is always the tail gunner (he had quad 20mm gun right?)hehe

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 1999, 11:43:00 AM »
The Germans did find a  rather small weakness in the Sturmovik's awesome armour plating: They shot the oil-coolers under the wings which would cripple the aircraft.
I remember reading this in the book on Hartmann (The blonde knight of Germany)
They also quote Hartmann saying that the armour near the wing roots was so strong that the German pilots could see their 20mm shells bouncing  off...a flying tank.  

Sascha JG 77 "Herz As!"

-towd_

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 1999, 12:03:00 PM »
yea i was really impressed by the plane when they showed it on "Wings" on the discovery chan here i believe it had armor to an extent the you would not believe it would fly at all and i mean all over.

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 1999, 12:13:00 PM »
I understand Hartmann had to get in real close to ping the oil coolers too D.2 like.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG

Offline Sascha JG 77

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 1999, 12:23:00 PM »
Hartmann was famous for getting in close before shooting:

"I usually held my fire until the enemy plane filled my windscreen."

(quoting from memory here)

On several occasions his 109  nearly got damaged by debris falling off of the plane he just shot, cause he was so close.

From what I've read in his biography D2 would be too far away in some cases: They say he often waited until they were closer than 100 meters, which is a little more than 100 yrds or D1.

Sascha

[This message has been edited by Sascha JG 77 (edited 09-20-1999).]

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 1999, 07:15:00 PM »
What Sascha's saying is really true.  Aces on both sides often got within D0.5 to make the kill.  Online, this is usually suicidal, because of warping.

------------------
Polk./16GIAP
ingame: Raz

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 1999, 01:30:00 AM »
Nah, the trick is not to shoot the armoured center of Il-10 but the unarmored tail section. Atleast some versions had wooden tail section starting behinf the rear gunners position and it was the weak point.

Good burst of 20 mm HE rounds and its a goner  

------------------
Oblt. jochen 'Stern von Afrika' 2./ Jagdgeschwader 27 'Afrika'
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 1999, 01:28:00 PM »
Well, IL-2s had wooden wings and tails, but have you seen pictures of shturmoviks that returned to base with only half of tail structures? And no more then 2/3 of one of the wings?...

The sadest thing was that a tail gunner was added only on 1942 version. Gunner's positoin was removed from the original TzKB-55 prototype. And when it was returned back - gunner was almost unprotected with armour. So, losses were about 10 gunners per one pilot...

BTW, shturmovik pilots had the lowest requrements for the awards: everyone who made 100 combat sorties was awarded with a Golden Star of Hero...

That guys had absolutely no nerves: they usualy flew so low that there was no chance to bail out safely. Georgiy Beregovoy (Cosmonaut-12, Soyuz-3 in 1968, got his first Golden star in 1944), told that some of his friends survived from burning ILs only because he managed to jump into a haystack...

Another story was told by an infantry officer. His crew was accidentaly "stormed" by IL-2s when they were taking control of the bridge left by Germans. He said it was the worst horror in his whole career...

And the best IL-2 ace killed 12 German planes...

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 1999, 02:29:00 AM »

Great stories!
Gatt

P.S.: I envy you guys, with the incoming IL2 sim and the LAF5N in AH ....

"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Brick

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 1999, 03:34:00 AM »
Seems the IL-2 was kinda the A-10 of it's day.    I can't wait to see what kinda racket those big guns make!

Andy
(likes to blow stuff up)

-towd_

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 1999, 06:54:00 AM »
 what was the armement on a Il2?

great pic!!!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 1999, 08:09:00 AM »
Hehe, there are MiG-3s on a picture above   Another early-war dream plane. 640km/h, better in vertical then 109E in 1941! 3xUB 12.7 and 2xShKAS 7.62.

BTW, one of the 25th IAP members is working on IL-2 sim with Oleg Maddox.

AFAIR IL-2 was armed with 7.62 ShKAS MGs, and a pair of cannons: 20mm ShVAK in early versions, then - high muzzle-velocity VYa 23mm, and NS-37s on IL-2M3. Defencive armament - 1 UBT 12.7. IL-10 was better armoured (gunner position completely screened) and had 20mm B-20 in the tail. Really, "you can't bite a hedgehog in his ass, herr hauptman!"  

------------------
With respect,
    Pavel Pavlov,
    Commissar 25th IAP WB VVS