« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 02:35:19 PM »
Wow, WTG congress...who'da thunkit?  :)
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Woot!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 02:36:10 PM »
Some interesting quotes:

"This Congress has often been called a slow and cumbersome beast, but I think you can see how fast this Congress is prepared to move when 50 million Americans are angry," said bill sponsor Rep. Billy Tauzin in debate on the House floor.

"Unwanted telemarketing calls are less popular than a skunk at a church picnic, and they are more persistent and obnoxious than athlete's foot," said Rep. John Dingell, the top Democrat on the Energy and Commerce Committee and a co-sponsor of the bill.

"I want to thank the judge for making us all love each other," New York Democratic Rep. Eliot Engel said.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Woot!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 02:40:39 PM »
"I want to thank the judge for making us all love each other," New York Democratic Rep. Eliot Engel said.

The judge did the right thing.  Whenever some federal agency passes a law, they should be able to prove that they have the authority to do it.  The FTC didn't have the authority and had to go back to Congress for it.  Whether Congress has the authority may have to be decided in court, too.

ra

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
Woot!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 05:04:19 PM »
ra,

The judge did the wrong thing.  Congress gave the FTC approval to create a "Do Not Call" registry in 1991, and in January 2001 gave the FTC money to fund it.

As I recall, the courts decided during the Vietnam war that although Congress had not actually declared war on North Vietnam, it had authorized funds for the war thereby giving its approval.  So Congress, the President--everyone but this judge, it seems-- thought that Congress had clearly given its okay for the FTC to create the registry.  I cannot fathom how Judge West made his ruling.

Anyway, hadn't seen that very funny quote from Rep. Engel.   Thanks for posting it. :rofl

MRPLUTO

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Woot!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 05:17:41 PM »
The judge did the wrong thing. Congress gave the FTC approval to create a "Do Not Call" registry in 1991, and in January 2001 gave the FTC money to fund it.

Congress seems to agree with the judge, as they are right down deliberating a new law to authorize the FTC to do this.

ra

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Woot!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 05:32:58 PM »
The fact that congress can unite on this issue speaks volumes for just how fed up everyone is with telemarketers.

BTW... I've heard that people from Oregon that did not get on the list prior to the deadline will not be able to sign up at all due to Oregon legislature's failure to pass certain bills that were necessary to continue the program for the state.  Just something I heard one morning on the radio.

MiniD

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
Woot!
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 05:54:49 PM »
The House of Representatives passed the bill 412 - 8 this afternoon and will send it to the Senate.

MRPLUTO

Offline Malleus

• Zinc Member
Woot!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 07:30:13 PM »
I have to go look to see who the 8 that voted against it were and slander them.

Or call them while their in the shower or eating, whichever seems like more fun.

:D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Woot!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2003, 08:08:01 PM »
...and it's OFF again...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/971734.asp

:mad:
sand

Offline MRPLUTO

• Nickel Member
Woot!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2003, 09:49:26 PM »
What the hell is the matter with these judges?!?!?!  Commercial speech is not protected under the first amendment. It it can be regulated and controlled.  Really unbelievable and intolerable.

MRPLUTO :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: