Author Topic: Score and Buffing  (Read 196 times)

-kier-

Score and Buffing
« on: December 06, 1999, 08:00:00 AM »
Understand, I am not a score monger.

I will often pull off a con that I have saddled because of encroaching enemy fighters (coupled with the realization should be up top covering us!).

I will allow others the first option on an easy kill.

But I have followed scores a bit with AH, mainly because it tracks stats in a way that is interesting to me. One of the recurring statements I have heard is the necessity to buff in order to score well. (If this is an old discussion, sorry to bring it up again- if not, read on!) I decided to test it myself to see.

My first buff sortie was last week. At the time of the sortie I was ranked 111th. I was doing well as a fighter (killing 5-6 fighters for every time I died), but not anywhere near the top (BTW, what does AH consider a "death"?). I ran a mission in a B17, taking the time to climb to alt, and dropped my load on a beseiged base. I landed, and checked scores the next day.

Top-30! One mission, top-30!

So I flew another week, doing my ususal stuff. I don't die real often, and usually have a good run of kills in between each death. Still, I slipped further and further down...

So last night, I grabbed another buff. Did a deep penetration from high alt (33K). Dropped my 500lbs'ers with good results on two fields, and bagged a Corsair. Landed, exited, and checked scores this morning.

Went from 48th to 24th. In one buff sortie!

I have no opinion whether this is a good or bad thing; I can see both sides of it. I will say to anyone that wants a high ranking you will have to buff (or C-47) once in a while. You'd be surprised what one mission can do to your score.  

TT

Score and Buffing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 1999, 01:35:00 PM »
 The thing that bothers me is there is a fighters section, a bomber section, and an over all section. They all say the same thing. BTW, screw it I aint buffing.

Offline By-Tor

• Zinc Member
Score and Buffing
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 1999, 03:17:00 PM »
 Have to admit I was following my score(a bit of vanity in us all; ) )until i fell from 80 something to 260 something in a single evening.I noticed I had a score for 1 bomber sortie that I never flew that evening! Well I'll continue to fly AH for the thrill of the kill and damn the score. Remember this is still a fairly early beta- so enjoy the progress!

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
Score and Buffing
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 1999, 03:58:00 PM »
I have been on online sims for over eight years and I have heard the same old stuff
for eight years. The thing I find refreshing about the Aces High system is that the scoring system tends to influence the gameplay. Most of us like to be the top whatever! Once you figure out what it takes to do that its funny how pilots flying styles, there rides, the things they do changes. In Air Warrior DOS and Warbirds you could buy yourself a Top Possition. In Aces High anyone can be at the TOP but you have to do many things well. This allows all aspects of the game to be inhanced. It doesn't just take the game to the next Arcade Fighter Furball sim or to a Stratigic Bomber Strike game but supports a novel concept... hehe TEAMWORK!  Once we figure out that everyone gets more by helping each other together we probably will enjoy it even more.

Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
Score and Buffing
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 1999, 04:17:00 PM »
TT

I know in numerous post you have said you will never fly buffs. I know many who have said they would never drink, smoke, try drugs, have sex or eat something they didn't like. Sometimes they said this just before they tried it. Just by the remotest chance you ever concider going up in a buff, I would like to invite you to fly a bomber with the "Dickweeds Heavy Bomber Group". Variety is the spice of life and many ex-fighter jocks have had a blast blowing up there first "Plastic Judy" doll on there first mission and find it ain't really as bad as they thought. An open invitation!  

Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
Score and Buffing
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 1999, 04:32:00 PM »
Was wondering how this worked...!  Don't care much about the score anyways.  

What I usually like best though is to have a good fight.  Nothing beats a good adrenaline rush in a knife edge dogfight.  Heck I die heaps but hey I take on any bogey in any plane from any alt  ...just don't like the many-to-one fights...who does!?

What I'd like to see are scenarios when you only have one life.  That's when it counts and that's where I'd take it a little more seriously.  Guess it won't happen for a while though...

Ex.

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
Score and Buffing
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 1999, 04:35:00 PM »
For the record, I haven't flown a buff either.

Ex.

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
Score and Buffing
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 1999, 10:14:00 PM »
I flew as gunner for Smitty(premire buff driver) and had a great time...shot down two fighters.......I made template for gun positions on the way up and never had so much fun switchin' and shootin'.  Just need a ammo counter cause I ran out of lead.  :-)
All fighter pilots should try this, it is so much fun.  ;-)

Thorns_Musketeer

TT

Score and Buffing
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 1999, 03:09:00 AM »
 Thunder, Thanks for the invite. I know some very good fighter pilots that love to buff. But it just aint my thing.

To continue with the subject though. I doubt that the score thing is going to be left the way it is. Go to any online prop sim. count the number of buff pilots and the number of fighter pilots.

This reminds me of an old TV sitcom I saw once. They hired an x pro swimmer to do the sports news. She refused to give the football and baseball scores. She would only give swimming, ice skateing, and field hocky scores.

Lets face it guys. When B17 II goes gold. The real buff,ers are out of here.

[This message has been edited by TT (edited 12-07-1999).]

-kier-

Score and Buffing
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 1999, 06:55:00 AM »
I'm afraid I don't see it that way TT. These are two different products entirely, and I seriously doubt B17 II will pull the bulk of the buffers out of here. I am primarily a fighter pilot, but am happy to have the option to buff if I choose. Buffs are an integral part of the game, and there is no way they will be eliminated either by attrition or deletion.

How does someone qualify to be a "real" buffer?  

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Score and Buffing
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 1999, 06:56:00 AM »
You mean there is a Score?  

And they actually rank us by that Score !!!!

Wow neato  

I think I have actually looked at mine, maybe twice in the beta.

------------------
Vermillion
WB's: (verm--), **MOL**, Men of Leisure,
"Real men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires ;) "