Author Topic: Correct me if I'm wrong..  (Read 610 times)

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
Correct me if I'm wrong..
« on: October 03, 2003, 12:59:19 PM »
Now it's been what 8 or 9 months since they told us about AH2.  Now hopefully it gets released here in a month.  Well, then we have 3 MONTHS OF BETA.  And that's before they evene start thinking about modeling more planes.  
     I want new planes worse than i want AH2 lol.  So if all is goin to plan we MIGHT get new planes in march or february?
     Sheesh.................. Makes me ticked.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2003, 01:02:22 PM »
if indeed the FM is redone, in addition to the DM, all planes are almost new.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 01:05:19 PM »
Moot.. damn optimist :p

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2003, 01:06:35 PM »
Well AH2 better impress me it's been a long wait lol.

Offline MaddDog

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
i agree
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 02:06:39 PM »
i hope AH2 isnt gonna be like one of them things youve been waiten for forever and then when it fineally arrives, its a disappointment. I dont think AH2 will be like this though, i think it should be somethin bita great!:D ..... hope so neways

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 02:20:27 PM »
I think the biggest "problem" with AH2 will be that it doesnt really address any of the gameplay issues. The primary purpose of AH2 is to open a new market based on drawing in "boxed game" aviation simmers. Do do that a better graphics engine was needed...all us "old school" simmers are ok with the current eye candy. In effect AH is being phased out (ei "classic" arena) in favor of the "new" game. From what I've read the powers that be don't envision alot of crossover from the current player base to the new format....with all the time and effort the "new" arena will require I dont think we'll get many bones thrown our way. In effect the old game will support the development of the new one. The new planes/terrains we'll see will be those required by/for the new "role playing" AH (so early 1939/1940 europe or whatever) iswhat we'll see 1st...least thatsmy current thinking.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline T0J0

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 02:33:23 PM »
serenity now!!!!!!

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2003, 03:47:34 PM »
I don't expect much of AH2 on the eye candy level, I don't think I will feel in a cockpit like in FB. But then again, it's not a boxed game and I guess they are limited by the "download friendly" size.
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2003, 04:12:31 PM »
I hope they don't over do it like IL2 did .... where you get stupid pauses everytime you try to shoot something ... (well not everytime, but enf to be annoying)  

My main problem with that game other than the views is the "eye candy" - it's too much ..... Even with fairly good equipment and low settings the game still pauses ... AH never did or does this for me ... nethir does any other game I own ....

so HTC maybe takeing more into account than download size ....

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2003, 04:38:21 PM »
humble ...

From what I was told and from my understanding, you have to consider AH II as a brand new Sim Engine. This new sim Engine contains - a New terrain component - a New Flight Model Component - a New Damage Model Component - a New etc ..

This new Sim Engine (AH II) will be used for both ..

AH II "Classic" - This is what we now call the Main Arena. The gameplay, at least to start, will be exactly as we have it now.

AH II "Tour of DutY" - This will be a brand new Arena. The gameplay will be far different from the Main Arena and it will continuously run scripted missions.

The "new" market that you speak of will gravitate to AH II TOD. HTC is banking and hoping that this new arena will bring new money into its pockets.

AH is not being "phased out". I am sure that you will find that there will be a healthy participation in the AH II Classic Arena that will keep it very viable and profitable for HTC. I know that I will be spending most of my time there.

With both arenas using the same Sim Engine, if any new planes are introduced ("bones" as you call them) they can be easily introduced into both Arenas without consequence.

I don't believe that the old game will support the development of the new game, I believe that it will be the reverse. Any new benefits developed for TOD can easily be incorporated into the Classic is HTC so desires.

You have to look at this from a programmer's point of view. I am sure that Dale DOES NOT want to maintain 2 sets of code. If he were to split Classic and TOD, then that is what he would have to do, and it is a nightmare.

The way he explained it to me, is there is one set of code and that set will handle both TOD and Classic. TOD will have an addition module (that Classic won't have) that handles the scripting and running of the scripted missions. I would also believe that he might have a different scoring module for TOD than Classic but the real guts of Aces High will be one set of code.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2003, 05:42:11 PM »
i assume you are referring to that thred from "Pyro" about the "interview".

in that thread somone quoted the "interview" and Doug saying 3 months of beta.

PLEASE all.. pay more attention to the dates of the threads. that one was from 1999 and talking about the original release of AH.

some moron bumped it thinking it would be funny and get a bunch of people in a tizzy.

its depressing that it keeps working.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2003, 08:43:35 PM »
For those of us who've been here over 3 years.....methinks we're spoiled.

:D
- The Flying Circus -

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2003, 09:18:13 PM »
why do you want "new planes" i don't think i've flown every plane we have now, are you easly bored?

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 11:05:37 PM »
Originally posted by humble
I think the biggest "problem" with AH2 will be that it doesnt really address any of the gameplay issues. The primary purpose of AH2 is to open a new market based on drawing in "boxed game" aviation simmers. Do do that a better graphics engine was needed...all us "old school" simmers are ok with the current eye candy. In effect AH is being phased out (ei "classic" arena) in favor of the "new" game. From what I've read the powers that be don't envision alot of crossover from the current player base to the new format....with all the time and effort the "new" arena will require I dont think we'll get many bones thrown our way. In effect the old game will support the development of the new one. The new planes/terrains we'll see will be those required by/for the new "role playing" AH (so early 1939/1940 europe or whatever) iswhat we'll see 1st...least thatsmy current thinking.

AH2 will include TOD (role playing) along with AH Classic........... Thank Heavens.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Patches

• Zinc Member
Be Prepared.....
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2003, 11:26:09 PM »
For the WBIII type of gameplay...    :-(