Author Topic: Holier Than Thou  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2003, 04:37:14 PM »
Hmmmm... not knocking the artwork... I think the statue is somewhat profound.  I just don't think religious satire has a place in the courtyard of a college campus.

MiniD

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2003, 05:07:15 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Hmmmm... not knocking the artwork... I think the statue is somewhat profound.  I just don't think religious satire has a place in the courtyard of a college campus.

MiniD

Well... if they teach art there, I don't see why not.
sand

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2003, 05:11:40 PM »
I didn't see the work as some kind of an attack on religion... as if the artist made the hat into a dick because he's anti-catholic or something. I saw it as a statement about the fondness some priests have for the dicks belonging to little kids that we've been hearing about all year.

So, it's just a one-liner... much like a political cartoon. A good one I thought... made me chuckle... but I don't really consider it a work of "art" per se... and don't think it's worthy of the type of debate that's spawned here. Art programs at universities are generally crap imho, so it doesn't suprise me that he got away with something like this. At most art schools the work would have been received with "ha ha very funny and everything but so what?"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2003, 05:31:47 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM

Sure ... why not? And if it was a monument depicting the ten commandments I'm sure you'd support that as well. I anticipate a breakthrough in open-mindedness here. :D

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2003, 05:34:47 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Sure ... why not? And if it was a monument depicting the ten commandments I'm sure you'd support that as well. I anticipate a breakthrough in open-mindedness here. :D

Absolutely... just don't try to put either in front of your court house... :)
sand

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2003, 05:49:20 PM »
Please cite examples.

Here are two recent ones:

The ACLU was at a recent presidental appearance and complained that nonsupporters weren't allowed near the president. How far they are/have taken it so far I don't know. Students at SMU hosted a bake sale protesting Affirmative Action and were quickly shut down. ACLU mysteriously silent.

If I thought it would convince you I'd find more comparrisons. Since I know it won't I'm not going to waste my time.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2003, 05:59:07 PM »
Absolutely... just don't try to put either in front of your court house... :)

Why not? Don't go stupid on me again, now. :D

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2003, 06:16:46 PM »
Art is one thing.... satire is another.  Once again... we're talking about a courtyard here.

But then... I'm sure you'd be arguing the same thing if it were a statue of a blackman being hung from a tree while other black men circled around below wearing KKK outfits and the thing were titled "uncle tom".  That wouldn't really raise a stink.

MiniD

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2003, 06:22:12 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Why not? Don't go stupid on me again, now. :D

Well... you don't put the ten commandments out in front of the courthouse for Constitutional reasons and you don't put this sculpture because satire really isn't welcome at court. :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 06:35:02 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2003, 06:29:10 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Here are two recent ones:

The ACLU was at a recent presidental appearance and complained that nonsupporters weren't allowed near the president. How far they are/have taken it so far I don't know. Students at SMU hosted a bake sale protesting Affirmative Action and were quickly shut down. ACLU mysteriously silent.

If I thought it would convince you I'd find more comparrisons. Since I know it won't I'm not going to waste my time.

I'm not sure how far either case has went. I do know that ACLU operates on a limited budget and they do indeed choose their fights. They are often accused of having a "left-wing" agenda, but I fail to see any evidence of it. Certainly, some people will argue that the ACLU doesn't represent the 2nd Amendment, but this goes back to the budget issue and the fact that the NRA is doing quite well without the ACLU's help.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 06:34:14 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2003, 08:20:08 PM »
cool.... so we can all put out our black lawn jockey statues again?
lazs

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2003, 08:36:55 PM »
We call those "cast iron piccanies."

Les

Edit: spelled the word wrong.  It's "cast iron piccaninies.":D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2003, 08:41:46 PM by Leslie »

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2003, 10:14:33 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
Art is one thing.... satire is another.  Once again... we're talking about a courtyard here.

But then... I'm sure you'd be arguing the same thing if it were a statue of a blackman being hung from a tree while other black men circled around below wearing KKK outfits and the thing were titled "uncle tom".  That wouldn't really raise a stink.

MiniD

Well played.

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2003, 10:37:11 PM »
The university is a private institution, they can decide what goes up in their courtyards.  I imagine the university will use this situation to explain that they are committed to the free exchange of ideas, host open discussion groups, and otherwise make themselves feel relevant.  They really have nothing to lose as far as displaying controversial art goes.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Holier Than Thou
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2003, 11:15:59 PM »
the cap is suppose to look like a noodle? what's wrong with ur willie?

just looks like another ugly piece of liberal "art" to me
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals