Author Topic: Buffs..buffs...buffs:)  (Read 147 times)

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
Buffs..buffs...buffs:)
« on: December 07, 1999, 05:00:00 PM »
Even from the beta, AH seems to seems to have the best buffing simulated that I have seen.  Formation flying is extremely realistic, and the individual targets are fairly diverse, and bombing them has a specific purpose.  It feels like the B-17 has a true purpose in AH...no longer just a platform for simply bombing acks as in WB.

I know that there are plenty of "buffers" out there that would love to see buffing in AH get even better, more accurate, and feel more like real life (albeit, 50 years ago ).

I think that we should start a new forum devoted to making strategic bombing in AH as accurate as possible.

(by accurate, I don't mean making the norden right on target at 50k feet )

What do you guys think?

IC

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 1999, 01:50:00 AM »
I first thought this was a serious thread and
sent you a helpful private email. Is this a hook? I am having a hard time understanding what you are REALLY triying to say here!

Your post from another thread?????

Hopefully, the Norden bombsight won't be accurate to 50k feet in the future, which should drop bombers down 10,000 feet, or so. I bet that possible cloud cover...and maybe wind  ...in future releases will also set a lower ceiling for buffs. As it is right now, you can't even catch a B-17 at altitude with a 190... From my experience in WarBirds, even the me-262 has trouble at high alt.

IC

[This message has been edited by iculus (edited 12-07-1999).]
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com

Hans

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 1999, 02:10:00 AM »
What I want is one simple thing.

One target.  One planeload of bombs.  Drop them all at once.

Hans.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 1999, 02:47:00 AM »
Hans: In that case I wan't buff squadron to follow me, like in real life (one B-17s carpet bombing could be considered as a joke   )
Or B-25 for pinpoint bombings.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 1999, 06:49:00 AM »
Fishu - you get the B-26 instead   B or C model I'm guessing.

What I would like to see is (as someone else suggested before) the bombsight getting less accurate with altitude, so that taking out pinpoint targets from 30k will be very unlikely.

At the same time I would also like to see fighter-bombers become more usable, currently the acks get you nearly every time, and the rockets are nearly totally useless  

Offline Flathat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 1999, 02:32:00 PM »
Agree with juzz...sometimes when I launch it looks like the rockets are coming from somewhere above my wings. Impossible to aim, even crudely. Maybe this is accurate, I dunno. I enjoy jaboing though, and would like eventually to become good at it. I'm itching for some good useful jabo targets (trucks, trains, orphanages...you know, the usual  ).

------------------
Flathat
'Black Dahlia'
No10 RNAS "The Black Flight"
Angel on your wing, devil on your tail

Rojo

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 1999, 03:02:00 PM »
Yeah, AH has done more to improve the plight of the endangered buff-driver in a few short months than other sims have done in four or five years.  There never seems to be a shortage of buffs ranging through arena, especially since the strategic targets have become so significant. I've also noticed that holding a tight formation is soooo much easier than brand-w, it makes for much better concentration of defensive fire. A formation of six Forts may not rtb from the nme's city very often, but more often than not they make it to the drop zone.  And the lack of otto-gunners has not turned out to be the handicap some may have thought it would.

Having said all that, we still need to get away from the GPS-guided-smart-bomb accuracy afforded by the present bombsite. CEP on those suckers is just about zero. Add wind, cloud-cover, mild dispersion, and a "pickle" feature, and then we'll be talking.  Instead of a simple "building destroyed" message, we should really see BDA reported as percentage of target destroyed, i.e. "30% factory destroyed." The percentage would then depend on how close to the center of the target you came, and with how big of a bomb. So you'd make the actual bomb impact point more random, but increase the area affect of the bombs.

With airfields, this might translate into something like: 12x500 lb GP bombs, all falling withing the field perimeter, will have a 40% chance of disabling all ack (numbers pulled from rectal-database, so don't let's argue them for now ). Direct hit's from JABOs would still be able to take them out, would require fewer bombs (pinpoint aiming versus area-bombing), but would involve higher risk.  Just some thoughts to fuel the debate.

Sabre (a.k.a. Rojo)

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 1999, 09:54:00 PM »
I also believe that the flat rate priceing has a lot to do with more people getting into buffing.  Who wants to fly 45 min or so to a target (to get shot down seconds from the drop) for $2.00 per hour? this has been a problem with WarBirds. I believe AH is on the right track there

Offline Thunder

• Nickel Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 1999, 11:24:00 PM »
Another point of view.. As a Bomber Pilot you take off and climb and fly for an hour are lucky enough to survive off a fighter or two if you even make it that far. Then you drop on a target and do every thing right it says MISSED! or 20% HITS! NOT MANY GUYS...FIGHTER TYPES INCLUDED LIKE TO DO EVERYTHING RIGHT AND NOT GET REWARDED!!!I agree it should be harder to hit a target and I am SURE this will change in the future...its a "beta" and not a priority to fix the sight and make those corrections right now. I am sure they will do it in there timing! I think that when they change it there will probably be factors we will have to adjust for. There should be a modeled way to correct for it though. For example if altitude or wind is a factor... there should be a way to compensate. If this is done a HIT should ALWAYS be scored! If a fighter pilot hits with X number of rounds within X perameter he SHOULD score a kill too. Just as you learn to be proficient in a fighter and when you do right things right you expect a kill. You should expect the same type of results in a bomber. No matter how REALISTIC they make it though.. at some point if it AIN'T FUN ya don't play....HiTech Creations seems to understand this and I applaud them for it! Not only are they making things more REALISTIC they are making it FUN!  

Thunder
Aces High DickweedHBG: www.dickweedhbg.com