Author Topic: Disable CPU throttling  (Read 250 times)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
Disable CPU throttling
« on: July 03, 2006, 02:58:48 PM »
Noticed a few days ago that AH was simply no playable because the variance in delay was like sawteeth and everything around me in game seemed very jerky.

I noticed that I had CPU throttling enabled and from power options minimal power management enabled, so the CPU probably trottled itself up and down and thus caused those warps. I changed the power scheme to "always on" and the problem went away and the game is smooth again.

Just a "heads up" if anybody has similar problems caused by too strict "power policy". :)

CPU: AMD 3500 64 Venice

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Disable CPU throttling
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 04:01:56 PM »
"Throttling" is how the CPU controls overheating.  When you reach a certain temp it starts "throttling" your CPU cycles (read throttling here like CHOKING).  It skips a cycle, then starts skipping more cycles, effectively cutting your CPU speed.  Since it skips every other cycle, or maybe even a couple of cycles, some things can get lost in the queue.  Especially if the motherboard is heating up too, RAM is very sensitive to heat.  

Disabling the throttling is fine, but make sure you arent about to have some very expensive repairs because of it.  Check your temps.

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Disable CPU throttling
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »
I had a problem one time with my heat sink on my Prescott chip. It started throttling. I repasted it with Arctic Silver and and it ran cool again. Prescott CPU's run dang hot. I crank up the a/c window unit and have it pointing at my PC. And, I have small room fan blowing on the PC with one side of the case removed. Its amassing how cool it runs with the cool air blowing on it. Otherwise, its just to dang hot. Also clean your PC of dust. I though I did, but when I took off the fan for the CPU, the heat sink radiator was way full of crud. So look where u cant see to clean it all real good. The dust even gets up inside the fans where the fan shaft is and slows them down. I wouldn't recommend this: but I took automotive brake cleaner and shot that around the fan shaft and then put a drop of 3 in 1oil on it. They spin freely now. Don't forget the fan on  video cards. I forgot that one.