Author Topic: IL2-FB/ hope AH2 is like this  (Read 550 times)

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
IL2-FB/ hope AH2 is like this
« on: October 10, 2003, 02:37:04 PM »
Ok so when ordering my new ATI card for AH-2 I also ordered IL2-Forgotten Battles. Great sim loving it. Love the complex engine management, the eye candy etc.

Came here did a search of IL2-FB posts.. found out you can improve frame rates by lowering landscape detail. Did a search on their boards and found out the best speed for online play is 56k.. and if you check no skin download it improves game pauses.. (didn’t like that). But the real kicker is when I was flying here the other night and talked to Henning.. He told me about HyperLobby.. I found the client and oh boy.. nice smooth gameplay, no pauses.

At HyperLobby, ALOT of folks join coop missions. This is very cool. Also there are several servers like “Greatergreen” that have full realism turned on. (no icons etc).

So my question is, how do I find y’all over there?.. Do you put (ah) in front of your handles? What servers do you like the best?.

To me FB is what AH-2 is striving for.. these scripted missions that last about an hour. So if your looking for something to benchmark you new card, or if your getting tired of waiting for AH-2, FB beats a blank.

Oh yeah.. I still nojoy finding the compass in Il-2.. It’s gotta be there I just can’t find it :(

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2003, 02:45:22 PM »
see the SS ? don't get your hopes up?

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2003, 02:47:56 PM »
the Il2  doesn't have a compass :)

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 02:51:55 PM »
My handle is SeaWulfe in hyperlobby, I typically fly Wallis_Server or Greatergreen or one of the virtual pilots servers depending on the years/planeset.

I also participate in an online war, Forgotten Skies. http://www.forgottenskies.com/FWPortal/DesktopDefault.aspx
-SW

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2003, 03:07:14 PM »
Thx SeaWolf Forgotten Skys look interesting

Undie ... WHAT!?.. the IL2 has no compass?.. that’s inconceivable they would design a plane with no compass.. What am I supposed to do follow the highway?

SunKing, that flew over my head.

Offline Strange

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2003, 03:15:05 PM »
You can find a few of us from the 56th FG /63rd FS guys there..

We have were using 63FS_ prefix.. I'm 63FS_Strange..  I'll look for ya 10Bears

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2003, 03:17:22 PM »
In some vvs planes they arent always visible. Most online wars and servers with full difficulty settings leave the "speed bar" on. It has heading info. I never fly the il2 so i dunno if theres a compass or not. I am sure some vvs squad had a pic of the cockpit layout.

In all the German planes theres an rdf which points to the "next waypoint". I dont know if the ami and vvs planes have something similiar as I dont fly them.

I imagine that AH2:ToD will be similiar to the FB online wars being mission based. AH2:Classic is just a prettier version of the current main.

10bears make sure you get all patched up and theres another patch on the way that will have the p51d, ki84 and a6m5 as new flyable planes.

B17 and c47 will be ai. After that a pay addon is coming with many new flyables.

Sunkking is talking about the ah2 screenshots.

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2003, 03:18:34 PM »
Originally posted by 10Bears
Thx SeaWolf Forgotten Skys look interesting

Undie ... WHAT!?.. the IL2 has no compass?.. that’s inconceivable they would design a plane with no compass.. What am I supposed to do follow the highway?

SunKing, that flew over my head.

that's what I had to do :) but I fly mainly german iron so it doesn;t bother me.  The german compass has a waypoint pointer on it :)

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2003, 05:30:12 PM »
The Il2 itself has a compass, its the top guage dead center on the dash.

There are several views that allow zoomed in to the gunsight, and zoomed all the way out to see most of the forward cockpit area. Plus a gunsight view that switches from a centerline view to the gunsight view in German aircraft, and from a little forward to the gunsight to a little further back in the seat in Russian aircraft.

When you fly offline, press esc. This will bring up a menu, click on controls... scroll down to views. You will see a list of FOV, Field of View, settings. FOV90 is the furthest back, while FOV 30 (I think, maybe less) is closest in on the gunsight.
-SW

Offline Sunchaser

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2003, 05:31:58 PM »
10Bears,
The compass is there, hidden by the gunsight.
In later model IL2s the compass is visible.

Coming attractions for FB:

http://www.netwings.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=2531&forum=DCForumID18&omm=0

Need skins for that new P51?

http://www.il2skins.com/

Great historical missions for single or coop play:

http://srm.racesimcentral.com/il2.shtml

make a folder for the theme, Stalingrad, Lenningrad, etc in the missions/net/coop/.... in the main IL2 FB folder and fly.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2003, 05:45:55 PM »
10bears, Commies never got lost, just ask Boroda. :)

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2003, 07:22:42 PM »
I was just in the HyperLobby.. lobby. They needed one more slot to fill for a coop mission. I guess my machine is a little slow in loading FB When I finally got to selection screen, the only slot left was as a gunner on an IL2.. ok fine. The first thing you notice is no icons, my pilot had to fly close to the other IL2s. It was a winter map.. Stalingrad and our target was a base just west of the city. On our approach to target we got jumped by about 10 109s. All hell broke loose, I managed to nail one of them, his engine caught fire but not before he took out our rudder and right elevator. Was too busy to see if my pilot had dropped ordinance or not, we reved for our return flight. No incidence to report on the way back, my pilot had to circle the field twice due to bent frame. All and all that was VERY cool.

Now, Ripsnort’s two sons need new clothes for school.. His family needs to go to Wallmart.. While there he =could=.. sneak off to the software/electronics dept. He =could= whip out that plastic card he carries in his wallet.. to bring out that excitement of flight simming he once had.. I’d like to hear his take on FB ;)

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2003, 07:43:22 PM »
In your  hyperlobby folder change the hlpro.ini to say. Scroll down until you see:

[Forgotten Battles]
joinDelay=1

Change
Default is 20 sec. I set mine to 1.

You can also change your hyperlobby resolution. Default is 800 x 600.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2003, 07:02:09 AM »
Personally i just cant force myself to fly it except mebbe once every 2 months.

Its the finding a game thats not on all easy settings that takes forever.

Something else that bugs me is the switching off the icon for your aircraft on the map so you have no idea where you are. It may be realistic having to eyeball landmarks but i find it a step too far.

Tried joining that online war thing, i get into the listing of aircraft available but there is NEVER an option to select or join one.

Who knows possibly a firewall thing on my end but if you try and ask for any help to sort it, all you get back is a deafening silence.

And 10B if you like it now then you gotta go buy TrackIR that with FB is unbeleivable, takes sims to a new level.

Having said that the frustration of trying to get a decent online game stops me playing it anymore.

Useful tip Batz got anymore ?

Btw 10B i believe Rip already has FB. Or was it just IL2 ?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2003, 07:27:26 AM »
I was getting really frustrated finding on-line games.  even with hyperlobby you usually choose between arcade and 'fullrealism' which means they give you know icons at all to compensate for lack of depth perception.

most people have their prefferences (mine are all settings to hardest except icons with range only)

the best way to go is to trade icq numbers with others who prefer the same settings as you, and arange a game before you even start hyperloby.

I fly under the same name there, I should be able to start playing again soon, see ya there.