Author Topic: How Hard To Learn?  (Read 776 times)

Offline shoppe123

• Zinc Member
How Hard To Learn?
« on: August 17, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
I played AW years ago on GameStorm and loved it. Got the craving to dust off my throttle and pedals and give it another go. I'm tempted to play AW as I know a little about the game there if it hasn't changed too drasticly in the past few years.

I'm honestly asking if AH if really that great and how hard do you think it will be for me to start catching on. It'll probably be months before I get a kill *grin* but just to get the basic hang of it. What are a few of the major difference between the two? If this game is really that much better I suppose it would be worth it to learn a new system. But I really like AW and was very happy with it.

Not a troll or inviting a flame fest  :) Would appreciate some thoughts from folks who played both. Thanks, LeadPump

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
How Hard To Learn?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2001, 09:15:00 AM »
With a free trial it should be easy to find out  :)

The hard part (imo) is learning the key commands as well as the features and functions for the aircraft.

If you posted your stick type if it is a programmable type someone may have a profile or file already made that you could use.

AH is not terribly hard, it's not an arcade game,  but it will take more time to master than say AW or FA. ACM is ACM but learning to fly the with more complexity in the planes of AH and learning how they perform is not something that will simply take a few days or several weeks.

<S> & welcome to here.

Westy

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
How Hard To Learn?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
It's not that hard to get the hang of.  Even Westy can do it.   :)

Do yourself a favor, read the help files, print up the key commands.   You can get this stuff from the HTC website.

Spend a little time in the Training arena, preferrable with a trainer to get the hang of the basics of the game.  The ACM and stuff will come back to you as you go, but you will be well advised to be familiar with the way things operate and some of the strategy first.

As far as "is this a good game?", heck yes, its an excellant game.   It offers good gameplay, options for differant type of action (ground vehicles, ships, ack guns, PT boats) if you need a change of pace, and it has a pretty decent community.

Jump in, have fun.  

Dago    :cool:
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
How Hard To Learn?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
Its very easy to fly actually, however it will take you some time till you are comforable with your skills and ability to reliably kill and survive in the arena. The best advice I can give is to take the 2 week trial offer and fly a lot in that period. Dont worry too much if you get killed or crash or whatever just get the experience under your belt and you will do fine.

Oh yea start off with an easy plane like the Spitfire or N1K2J, and not something hard like FW190 or Bf109G.

So go download the game.  :)

BTW this is a great time to join AH as they just cut the subscription rate in half to $14.95!!!

Welcome!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
How Hard To Learn?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
Well, there are a lot of AW fliers here in AH, so it's definately not too steep of a learning curve!  Indeed, if you have flown AW, you already understand the basics about how to fly a WWII simulated airplane.  There will definately be some adjustment required, but nothing a little practice and training can't cure.

Give it a shot.  Email me at sconrad@hfx.eastlink.ca if you want to meet with a trainer and have them help that learning curve.  :)  If you have some experience and decent flight controls, I'm sure the training staff can have you getting your first AH kill a lot sooner than you think.  :)

BTW, have a read of http://lephturn.webhop.net/views.htm  for some help on the Aces High view system.  It has changed a bit from the AW days, so this should help your SA.  :)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
How Hard To Learn?
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
It's not that hard to get the hang of.  Even Dago can do it.   :)

One thing that will make it easier is to program the keyboard and stick controls to match what you are used to.  Everything is programmable, though it may take a bit of effort to learn the programming system.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline DeeZCamp

• Banned
  • Copper Member
How Hard To Learn?
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2001, 09:27:00 AM »
I can train... send Me Email JDECAMP@kc.rr.com

Ill be willing to be a target drone  :D

Offline shoppe123

• Zinc Member
How Hard To Learn?
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2001, 09:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Westy MOL:
With a free trial it should be easy to find out   :)

The hard part (imo) is learning the key commands as well as the features and functions for the aircraft.

<S> & welcome to here.

Westy

Yeah, what the hell.  :) Might as well try it.

Dusting off my old stuff right now. Got CH Pedals,CH Pro Throttle, and an old CH F16 combat stick. People still use this stuff? LOL Hope I still have the stuff to install all this crap  ;) Fricking cat chew on my joystick cable. If i can't fix it what'a a good stick these days. As I remember the trigger had worn out anyway (I was dubbed LeadPump for a reason, LOL) and I had to map it to another button. LeadPump