Author Topic: Unable to play beta at all  (Read 725 times)

Offline 2bull

• Zinc Member
Unable to play beta at all
« on: October 18, 2003, 08:04:14 PM »
pent 933 mhz, 512 meg ram, voodoo5 vid card, creative sb live sound card
tried various color settings, and different screen sizes. Was able to get to tower, but screen was white with dots for fields, not readable.
no mouse curser appeared, had to alt tab to get out, and on re-entry, had to shut computer off  to get out.
did hear sound of engine running after about 1.5 min, but that was all.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 09:27:45 PM »
voodoo5? ... VOODOO5???

there's your problem.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline mitchk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 02:18:32 AM »
I have that problem to I see white and grey ecept little green thing at top.:mad:

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2003, 10:07:34 PM »
That vid card won't fly. (pardon the pun) You may get by with the rest of your system though.

I have an ASUS MB 750 AMD 512 133 SDRAM and an ATI 7500 vid card and it works just fine. I do intend to upgrade though, no way I would expect to play the game with this old crate :D

Since we're testing it's good to know how low one can go.
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2003, 11:52:33 PM »
Originally posted by Twist
That vid card won't fly. (pardon the pun) You may get by with the rest of your system though.

I have an ASUS MB 750 AMD 512 133 SDRAM and an ATI 7500 vid card and it works just fine. I do intend to upgrade though, no way I would expect to play the game with this old crate :D

Since we're testing it's good to know how low one can go.

the 1.3ghz durons are really cheep right now  36-45 bucks us...
toss one in there and you'll get by i bet
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline RvrndMax

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2003, 12:37:33 PM »
Same here ... 0 fps .. whites and grey scale . well , actually i do get one frame every 20 seconds  ....

iWill KK266+
Athlon XP 1700 @1466 mHz
640 Mb sdram
Win98
SoundBlaster5.1
DX8.1 ( 4.08.01.0881 )
Voodoo 5 5500 agp : 3dfx.16vs.drv 4.12.01.0666

too bad NVidia welched on the deal to update the drivers after they bought 3dfx .. i guess i'll have to get a new Video platform . any bets that it WON'T be an NVidia card ?

Offline EsmeNhaMaire

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2003, 04:35:44 PM »
Wasn't expecting to be able to run the beta, wasn't surprised by attempt to do so, but was surprised at where the problems hit.

System specs are
750MHz CPU
256MB RAM
ATI Rage 128 (64MB video card)

The surprise was the clipboard. It renders peculiarly, as if made of several layers of paper, and as if the top layer has been grabbed at top right and ripped off towards bottom left, rendering most of it unreadable. No map, option, nothing. Could just about work out where quit was. On one attempt, after changing screen res in the config file, the text by the DEPLOY sign flickered in and out of visibility so that I could just about see what the menu down there was.  Even on lowest possible resolution and colour depth, same problem, and screen updates exceedingly slow (maybe once every 20-30 seconds). Intermittent sound from planes presumably circling overhead).

I could see out of the tower and use zoom OK, but changing views again took place with a 20-30 second delay.  Didnt try exterior view. Couldnt find any way to try to get into a plane.

What I'd been expecting was that if I'd be able to run the thing OK at all, I'd just get very low FPS.  :-}

No complaints here, though, and whilst I am well aware that my system falls below the minimum spec advertised, thought my attempt to run it might be of some small interest.

For what its worth, I'm with Maik on the subject of K-Ken, his comments and what people have made of them. The object of the excercise is to compile as much information about how the beast runs on different systems as possible as swiftly as possible, so that bugs and performance issues can be found and sorted as swiftly as possible. Absolutely no point in berating HTC on the matter at this stage - and none in calling people names simply because they misunderstood the situation.

Must say, I'm looking forward to when I can upgrade my motherboard and CPU (Asus boards looking good...), should be sometime in the next 2-3 months, figers crossed...

Esme