Author Topic: what kinda gun do you bring to a beetle fight?  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
what kinda gun do you bring to a beetle fight?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2003, 01:35:29 PM »
The one and only time I fired one of those "girly" .38's, think it was a Lorcen,  The slide closed on the skin between my thumb and forefinger.  It was stuck there and it hurt BAD.  I was sitting there shaking my hand and the gun wouldn't fall!  I had to pull the slide back to get my hand free.  

Guns are bad!

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2003, 03:19:13 PM »
My dad's 1911, get the web of my hand, but it does not bother me to bad.

It has Smith&Wesson ajustable sites on it, and the are sqaure and sharp, I racking the slide once after cleaning it and it slipped and the rear site cut me really bad...

Learned my lesson on that one.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2003, 03:27:54 PM »
bett1e shooting those EVIL firearms?
What the hell?!

Did you turn him pro gun for at least a minute? If he had a good time, you did.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2003, 03:32:11 PM »
Originally posted by Animal
bett1e shooting those EVIL firearms?
What the hell?!

Did you turn him pro gun for at least a minute? If he had a good time, you did.

You should see him salivating when he saw Lazs' guns

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2003, 03:48:50 PM »
Sounds like fun :)
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2003, 05:04:06 PM »
Lasz, if you can get beetle to attend one of the cowboy action shooting events dressed in chaps, six-gun, oil-skin drover coat, and sombrero he might, just might, become an expatriate of the British Commonwealth.

Regards, Shuckins

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2003, 05:28:03 PM »
Originally posted by Shuckins
Lasz, if you can get beetle to attend one of the cowboy action shooting events dressed in chaps, six-gun, oil-skin drover coat, and sombrero he might, just might, become an expatriate of the British Commonwealth.

Regards, Shuckins

Talking about dressing as a cowboy...

Hey Lazs tell us the midnight pee story :rofl
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 06:02:34 PM by mietla »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2003, 06:03:20 PM »
I hope someone had the forethought to take a camera along...

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2003, 03:57:56 AM »
Originally posted by Udie
The one and only time I fired one of those "girly" .38's, think it was a Lorcen,  The slide closed on the skin between my thumb and forefinger.  It was stuck there and it hurt BAD.  I was sitting there shaking my hand and the gun wouldn't fall!  I had to pull the slide back to get my hand free.  

Guns are bad!

OMG, that reminds me of the time I offered to clean my friend's Ruger auto 9mm and he left it with me.  Well, it was late at night, and since I live alone, I was wearing only underwear about the house.  I also didn't know the first thing about how to break down a Ruger, and ended up with my left index finger stuck in the closed bolt.  I couldn't pull the slide back with my right hand, and there I was standing there in my living room, wearing only underwear, with a Ruger 9mm dangling from my left index finger.

It started to hurt after a while, and the thought crossed my mind about running next door to my neighbor's house for help.  Then again I thought...I'd rather lose my finger than show up at my neighbor's house at 10:30 P.M. in my underwear with a pistol stuck on my finger.

So I resolved to yank my finger out of that mess, halfway expecting my finger tip to be mutilated by doing so.  Out it came with no damage.  It was instant relief from what was starting to become a real emergency.  :D

Les

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2003, 08:15:07 AM »
mietla..  the two articles of clothing rule does not apply in cowboy action shooting... all participants are fully dressed.

animal... yep.. for the time that he was shooting he was very much "pro gun"...  It was difficult to get him to stop.   He was loading his own magazines and if the mag held 8... he was gonna get 8 in it damnit!  

his girlfriend took pictures and he said he would post em.
lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2003, 02:19:07 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
beetle won't be back until Sunday so we can make fun of him at our leisure.

Ididn't let anyone get bit by slides.  I think he cut it on the slide serations trying to chamber a round.
lazs
We've just overnighted in Santa Barbara, and are on our way to visit CPP. I couldn't stand the suspense, and wanted to check what's been said on the BBS, so here we are at Kinko's on S. Hope St. It's been worth the $12/hour so far. :D

I met Lazs for the first time at the con. My impression of him as a gruff, grumpy old fart was only partially correct. He's neither gruff nor grumpy!

Yes, we went to Lazs's hovel as invited. I kept looking out the window thinking that Lazs was shouting to someone across the street. Turns out he was "talking" to me at a range of 6 feet - lol! His ears are a bit porked after all those years of shooting and biking, and he doesn't realise how loudly he's booming away...

So then we went out to Lazs's place of work. I always wondered what he did for a living, and when I found out what that involves, well, let's just say the cap fits!  Muhahahaha :D:D

Like Lazs says, we had three guns. I liked his .22 "staple gun" - dubbed as such for the p-chff - p-chff sounds it made as bullet was fired, and met target some 15 yards away. I thought it was more like 25 yards, but Lazs has probably measured it. It was the easiest of the three guns to aim and shoot. I was able to load the magazines and then load the mag into the gun. I'm not much good with shapes, and at one time I was about to insert the mag backwards. Lazs said "Other way - we kinda want the bullets to go forward" - LOL!

Next up was the .44 magnum. Now I knew there was going to be a hell of a recoil, but as lazs says, it knocked me backwards. I can see why lazs stands with one foot in front of the other to fire, and I adopted that stance. My verbal response to firing that first round is unprintable on this board! But I fired off all 6 and was hitting the target - a "no parking" sign on a bank of earth.

Last was the .45 semi auto. I kind of relaxed after the .44, but the recoil effect seemed as bad. It twisted more than knocking me backwards. Lazs was saying that the .44 mag might have done that but for the weight of the gun and the length of the barrel.

The wall-o-text version will have to wait till Sunday - with pictures.

Yep, I can see how Lazs gets his leathery looks - all that time spent in the sun when he should be working. He really needs to use sun screen, and drink more fluids. Too late now. :lol

My finger injury resulted from pulling back the slider on the .45 sa. Lazs seemed kind of surprised that my blood was indeed red. I think he was about to faint at the sight of it...

Back at Lazs's hovel, we sat and listened while Lazs boomed at us for the next few hours. Hehe, I got a few words in. Talked about British agriculture, and suggested Lazs be a farmer in England. He'd like it. We have little space, and have had to move the fields close together...

Lazs's hovel is like a munitions factory. Bedroom 3 houses the ammo recycling plant.

Hehe, all kidding aside, Lazs was an excellent instructor, and forgiving of my newbie errors.  I wanted Tomato to fire off the .44 mag - maybe next time.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 02:27:16 PM by beet1e »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2003, 02:42:35 PM »
well gee.... if you don't shout then other people will get a chance to talk.

My house?  well... it's a combination of "munitions factory" hot rod garage and 2 year old grand daughter playhouse.   Somehow... all those elements seem to live together without too much problem.

I noticed tomato picked up an empty .45 case and put it in her pocket...  Probly to show the beetle on those "special nights" to bring back memories.  

lazs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2003, 02:44:18 PM »
Oh.. the 2 pics I took came out really well... if someone wants to post em I'll send em.
lazs

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2003, 02:49:11 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Oh.. the 2 pics I took came out really well... if someone wants to post em I'll send em.
lazs

email them to me  mietla@raf303.org

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2003, 03:51:06 PM »
Heh, sounds like you had a good time, beetle.  I've had a bit of a fascination with foreigners' (brits especially) views on guns ever since I spent a summer in England studying your police forces.  Can't wait for the long version.  :)