Author Topic: Floating trees????  (Read 1075 times)

Offline sawman

• Zinc Member
Floating trees????
« on: October 23, 2003, 07:53:20 AM »
I mentioned this in the( black box's around icons) thread,but decided to make a new thread about it incase nobody saw it.
     I wz in a tank and saw green patches floating in the air,at 1st i thought it wz dark clouds but later bailed from a plane and saw them as trees from the top,as i got lower i noticed that the (trees) had no trunks and low and behold those were the same floating green patches.
       I would attach a pic but it say's i cant post attachments for some reason,why cant i?? anyone know?  thx   .Sawman

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Floating trees????
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 07:57:31 AM »
only every person who d/l the beta....

you'd do well to try and at least sample what your fellow dolts have posted in this forum. :aok

edit: forgot the emoticon for the scarcasm impaired.  ;)

pssssst... it's HT's term, not mine. baaaaaaaa! :cool:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2003, 08:30:47 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline sawman

• Zinc Member
Floating trees????
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 08:21:17 AM »
hey dude ,dont revert to name calling,i didnt see ANYTHING on  this :mad: i guess thats why its in the BUG REPORT section i thought.    No i havent read EVERY POST IN HERE sry but all you had to do is tell me its already been noticed

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
Floating trees????
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 08:39:11 AM »
Sawman its not a bug!

I guess you never tried games like IL2 or even READ about one.

Offline sawman

• Zinc Member
Floating trees????
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 08:50:51 AM »
they have trees in Warbirds111 and i dont remember seeing anything like that in there,then of course ive been playing AH for 2 1/2 years.I hope HT wont stand for imperfections in his game,he's asked for input and help finding bug's,i'm just doing what he's asked us to do,thats all,and no,i havent played IL-2

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Floating trees????
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 09:34:24 AM »
Originally posted by sawman
they have trees in Warbirds111 and i dont remember seeing anything like that in there,then of course ive been playing AH for 2 1/2 years.I hope HT wont stand for imperfections in his game,he's asked for input and help finding bug's,i'm just doing what he's asked us to do,thats all,and no,i havent played IL-2

The "bugs"  or "bug" you have mentioned (which might not even be a bug) is not what HT is asking for at this point in the Beta. You may have not read all the other posts by the users, but you sure haven't read the sticky notes by Skuzzy or Pyro's whole post in the news forum.

At this stage of the Beta, they are only looking at the core Graphics Engine. They want to know about CTD, framrates, and the such.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Blank

• Nickel Member
Floating trees????
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 10:49:36 AM »
Anyway sawman

the floating trees your seeing are not due to a bug, its how they are meant to be.

The same tree cover can be seen in IL-2 FB, its basically multiple layers to give the impression of depth and hence a forrest look from the air.

Now this works fine in IL-2 as there is no time in the game normally where aplayer would find himself parked up next to the forrest, but in AH the is.

heres the problem, you've heard of polygons? they are the building blocks of the computer world and consist of triangles, 1 triangle = 1 poly  so you'll notice that some of the tree are simply made up of 2 flat planes with a texture on in an X shape so that they appear to have substance from any angle you look at them.

these simple tree will take 4 polygons to make. so to make a forrest of them will take many hundered of polygons, and equal slower frame rate for the player.

to solve this you can make the computer draw only what is needed so when flying a certain distance from the ground the trees will dissapear and you frame rate will be better, as in AH1 (although even in AH1 the trees became clutter so are able to be switched off).

problems with this is if a gv is hiding under a tree the tree has to appear to be there at all times to all players, so it cannot be made up of many polygons, so the floating trees you see at the moment are an attempt at very low resourse hugging persistant trees, to provide cover for GV's.

Offline Scootter

• Silver Member
Floating trees????
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 02:23:12 PM »
Blank,

Nice job with the explanation, I learned from your simple description and it made sense.

:aok

Offline 2Hawks

• Nickel Member
      • http://daniel.clanbaker.com
I understand the attempt...
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2003, 12:59:46 AM »
I understand the attempt at realism from the air, and hope something is done about them later on. As it's a PITA to navigate on the ground, and doesn't obscure me from other GV's.

I take it the Silo's will be a hiding place in the future? I sure liked the barns to shoot from. :)