Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
The O' Club / Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Last post by AKIron on Today at 09:56:26 AM »
https://heclak.github.io/community-a4e-c/

OVGME is a handy tool to enable and disable third party mods.

https://youtu.be/szuppmcrmko
« Last post by The Fugitive on Today at 09:49:11 AM »
Im trying the "journey" as well. DLed the game.....man that file is huge! Got it started and installed. Not sure where to find the A6 and how to get that into the game. But, I have time and it is free  :)
« Last post by AKIron on Today at 09:46:23 AM »
The German aircraft are the hardest for me. Remember to turn off the assist if you want a challenge, it's on by default. I don't think they had two seat trainers for these aircraft. Probably lost more than a few aircraft to new pilots.
« Last post by edge12674 on Today at 09:35:47 AM »
This is the route I was going to take!  I have zero experience outside of AH, so I know it's going to be a learning curve just to take off, fly, and land! I'm going to stick to the 51 for a bit.   Also have to learn how to map my X52.  But, that's what this summer is for.  Plenty of time to learn  :rock :joystick:

Keep in mind that WWII aircraft require more piloting skill than later aircraft (just like WWI aircraft are harder to fly than WWII).  AH does give you some experience, but there is not as much warning when the aircraft goes into an accelerated stall.  There is more engine management with WWII aircraft as well.  AH does not really simulate tail dragger aircraft, so you will find taxiing, takeoff, and landings, more difficult.  It is nothing you can't master, just different.  Hope you enjoy the journey. 
The O' Club / Re: Prebuilt PCs
« Last post by AKIron on Today at 09:10:12 AM »
Something to keep in mind when buying a prebuilt. Upgradeability. Some brands like HP and Dell may use their own custom cases and motherboards. That can limit upgradeability should you be so inclined.

Even in those situations though you can buy a case relatively cheap and still use some parts from the original. AMD CPUs are more upgradeable than Intel. Any new Intel CPU is going to require a new motherboard. Less so with AMD.
« Last post by AKIron on Today at 08:55:46 AM »
I knew people who customized the Commodore 64 kernal back in the 80's but I doubt they overclocked the chip. I did have a fast loader cart for the 1541 that worked well.
« Last post by Skyyr on Today at 08:50:27 AM »
I overclocked my first PC in 1981

The first overclockable PC components weren't even available until about 1985.
« Last post by AKIron on Today at 08:40:56 AM »
When you add a new aircraft always go into the axis controls and unmap everything not needed. The game will by default make a mess of this every time. You do not want your pedals/throttle also mapped to pitch/roll/etc...
« Last post by Banshee7 on Today at 08:30:46 AM »
If you are just curious about DCS and want to see if it is worth your time then don't spend any money.  Download the free base program and then the free A-4E mod (aircraft the instructors used in original "Top Gun" movie).  You will be able to explore pretty much everything DCS has to offer (air to air combat, air to ground combat, air refueling, carrier ops, land based airports, dynamic weather, and multiplayer servers).  The A-4E is just a step up from WWII as it has limited radar for ground use only.  The mod comes with a full manual that is available to read standalone or via kneeboard while in the game.

This is the route I was going to take!  I have zero experience outside of AH, so I know it's going to be a learning curve just to take off, fly, and land! I'm going to stick to the 51 for a bit.   Also have to learn how to map my X52.  But, that's what this summer is for.  Plenty of time to learn  :rock :joystick:
« Last post by Banshee7 on Today at 08:27:57 AM »
I really appreciate all of your input, guys! I'm continually shopping and taking in all the advice I can from y'all!  I hope to make a decision very soon!! 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10