Author Topic: HELP! lost vox reception permanantley  (Read 424 times)

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
HELP! lost vox reception permanantley
« on: October 19, 2003, 02:42:08 PM »
I can transmit but can't recieve. I have checked windows, can record & playback, I have checked all settings in AH, deleted & reloaded AH, still no incoming vox. I can hear "base under attack" I can hear bombs drop, guns fire, GV tracks, all the action sounds, but somehow both range & tunable incomin transmissions are not heard. I dont even get the player speaking ID in top right of screen.
 I have been working through this for about 4 days now, its gotten old, Can anyone help?
Anton

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 03:22:26 PM »
Haaaaa, that's what you get for being a yakdweebaltmonkey like me! :lol

My yak karma will catch up to me sooner or later.

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2003, 06:57:53 PM »
can you record in sound recorder? that's first stop in figuring out what is broke........

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2003, 03:38:24 PM »
he said he can record & playback in windows....
wish I could help
« Last Edit: October 20, 2003, 03:44:07 PM by A_Clown »

Offline anton

• Nickel Member
      • http://n/a
PUNT
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 12:04:24 PM »
Well turns out the problem was-
 My firewall was set to old AH settings wich had vox on ports 300-500. AH recently changed settings for vox to run from 200-500. Once I opened the blocked ports in my firewall I can hear again.
 THANK-YOU SKUZZY!!!     <>
Anton

Offline tgnr2001

• Zinc Member
No vox
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 03:01:52 PM »
AAAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhh... I can't believe this.  I have had this exact problem for over two months now.  Had ports 2000-5000 open (even confirmed these ports with Skuzzy :(   )  

Thanks for posting this.  I changed to 200-500 and Vox magically reappeared.  I tried everything.. even replaced net card twice, did roll backs, disabled firewalls and antivirus.. but the port forwarding in the router was set to 2000-5000 and obviously, that was the wrong setting.

Of course.. I thought I had this solved once before and it lasted for less than a day.. but I'm hoping this time the problem is really solved.

Thanks again for posting this solution.

tgnr

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 03:10:54 PM »
anton has a typo.  It still is 2000-5000 for the ports, but a lot of the older players were using 3000-5000 as that was the old settings.
When we expanded the arenas, we had to open more ports.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
Re: No vox
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 04:49:43 PM »
Originally posted by tgnr2001
AAAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhh... I can't believe this.  I have had this exact problem for over two months now.  Had ports 2000-5000 open (even confirmed these ports with Skuzzy :(   )  

Thanks for posting this.  I changed to 200-500 and Vox magically reappeared.  I tried everything.. even replaced net card twice, did roll backs, disabled firewalls and antivirus.. but the port forwarding in the router was set to 2000-5000 and obviously, that was the wrong setting.

Of course.. I thought I had this solved once before and it lasted for less than a day.. but I'm hoping this time the problem is really solved.

Thanks again for posting this solution.

tgnr

You may want to close those ports...anything less than 1024 is reserved for well known services and shouldn't be touched unless you have reason (for example port 80 for a standard web server).

Offline tgnr2001

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2003, 05:36:58 PM »
Thanks for the warning.  Someone in my squad e-mailed me too, to let me know trojan attacks typically come in through lower port numbers.

But now I'm confused.  With 2000-5000, folks can hear me, I can't hear them.

With 200-500, Vox works fine.

Tried an experiment and removed all port forwarding, and Vox still works fine.

Used 2000-5000 again, and it stopped working again.

So... now I'm going with no port forwarding and (even though I have no clue why) for the first time in a couple of months, I can hear all those friendly AH voices.  :aok

tgnr