Author Topic: Why the filter exists.  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Why the filter exists.
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2000, 10:25:00 AM »
Botabing said:

"You can ban "diddly" or "shit" on the main channel, and while I disagree with the solution used, I will not leave as long as we are free to be ourselves in our squadrons."

AH - with this quote in mind, may I suggest you install the filter on the squad channel also. Can't speak for anyone else but if my squaddies used such language one of us would go. I find it extremely offense and inexcusable to use such language when you don't know who is exposed to it. Anyone in the room could be looking at the screen when these fine examples of verbal expressions are printed.

Bing - seems you still get to cuss to your hearts content here in the bbs. Is it your lack of education that requires you to choose such language? Or is it a general lack of refinement, possibly a "bad childhood" which you are still probably in the middle of. As there isn't a filter installed here, please refrain and choose your vocabulary with better taste. How about f***, I think everyone would know what you mean.

Thanks

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline buhdman

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow
Why the filter exists.
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2000, 12:41:00 PM »
I flew in the main arena last night for the first time since the "filter" was put in place and you know what?  I enjoyed it.  The banter was still there, but none of the irritation that I noticed before.  I can live with this.

buhdman, out

------------------
Walt (buhdman) Barrow
(formerly lt-buhd-lite)
The Buccaneers - "Return with Honor"
home.earthlink.net/~wjbarrow

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Why the filter exists.
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2000, 07:05:00 PM »
In other sims i've been involved with, generally the community manages to police itself in these matters.  I've found flight sims typically contain a more mature, civilized player, compared to errr them quake games +)

If profanity and harrassment are against the terms of service agreement, i see absolutely no reason for a MACHINE to put words in the player's mouth...

I'm against the LAW telling me i have to wear a seatbelt or a motorcycle helmet, yet I don't drive/ride without wearing them.

The kind of player that enjoys AH and wishes to stick around will abide by the terms of service! His peers will police fairly and with respect.

Perhaps once the free trial period ends (if it ever does) the profanity issue would dissappear.  Those users who are constantly offending other players would be weeded out and TOS'ed anyways.

In aw3, one guy speaks a profanity, and 5 or more other players cuff him up side the head +) and the issue is over.  Generally if its a player who should know better, an apology is soon to follow.  If its a newbie, well he gets the message right quickly.  Anyone who insists on continuing the objectionable behaviour risks a temporary or permanent ban...

A client side filter would allow players to use profanity all they wished without fear of repercussions.(not good)  

A sever side filter is not neccessary in anyway shape or form.
  HT look at your target market, those people should be responsible enough to manage themselves don't you think?

SKurj

[This message has been edited by SKurj (edited 09-28-2000).]