Author Topic: Time to rethink the scoring system  (Read 1986 times)

eskimo

Time to rethink the scoring system
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2000, 12:22:00 AM »
Your "Overall Score" is simply a reflection of your well roundedness.  

The system is very simple; all 10 categories count equally.  The people with the lowest total (combine all 10) rankings are ranked the highest.  

eskimo

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2000, 01:21:00 AM »
"score means nothing" -Zigrat

other peoples scores mean nothing.
especially if you use the MA as a practice arena for scenarios.

you can claim virtue in your martyrdom . thow art so noble for being shot down so much. someones gotta be in the barrel.

zigrat likes to think it takes no skill to rack up a high score and flying to live.

he also gets shot down a lot in fly to live scenarios from what I remember  

flew tour 9 to new personal levels of success at flying to live and had fun trying to unseat winqck from his thrown as ultimate chog scorepotato.  

but overall I dont give a rats bellybutton about anyones statistics but my own. and I'm sure no one else cares about anyone elses scores either.

flying to live or scorewhoring are both personal styles of flying using a different set of objectives and decision making processes than those that find it so satisfying to get shot down every sortie.

I found flying to live much more challenging than the predictable cycle of quake dweeb flying and dying.

I would rank my favorite flying styles of most fun to least...

1. flying to live succesfully and racking up high streak.
2. quake flying well and killing a bunch, auger if not killed and get a new plane fast
3. scorewhoring showdown vs winqck the ultimate scoredweeb.
4. quake flying and getting shot down after less than mutliple kills in a sortie
5. getting shot down a lot while flying to live.

I'm not as good as almighty zigrat, nathbdp and udie.
I'm just a crap pilot with altitude that runs away from a fair fight.
aint that right ziggy? <finger>

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 11-02-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2000, 03:12:00 AM »
Hm, well, I've done lots of jabo runs, and am a still way down the list for points.

That being said; what counts (if anything does) is K/D *  (planes flown) and Sorties/Landings

I.e I looked and thought "wow, how the hell do they do that?" Then I realized that 90% of the top ones in k/d fly the spray n pray one ping wonder chog, and bug out as soon as there's problems. They don't go into fights where they're outnumbered, and usually, they'll leave a squaddie behind.

Sure, I can fly that style. Did it for first week of tour 9, and my k/d went up from 3.2 to 8.5. But man, was it boring.

I favour flying to live, but, with that being said, it is *essential* to help a squaddie, even if it means BAD odds. That combined with out r squads tactics (i.e attack away from the main nit strike force) means we find ourselves in interesting and tough fights a lot. I like that - and there's little kill stealing since there are plenty of targets  .

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Ice

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2000, 08:22:00 AM »
DJ...

Htc is way ahead of us on this one...changes will be made to the ranking system to allow fighter jocks a seperate ranking or something like that...not sure how their going to do this but that is what HT had indicated to me.

Cita...

You mean to tell me that you fly to kill more enemy than enemy kills you???
And also you try to land those kills afterwards and complete a sortie??? Hmmm....I'm not sure what to think of that kind of behavior

Zig...

Score may mean nothing to you, however, it helps me gauge how well I'm flying...it's just a challenge in a way to achieve my personal goals...it's just a bi-product of how I fly....Just because it means nothing to you, you really shouldn't berate others for using it as a motivation to fly effectively...afterall, do you enjoy dying repeatably without ever landing and completing a sortie? If you do thats cool, I just wouldn't have as much fun if my callsign was flashing across my enemies text buffer as a casualty

Ice

eskimo

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2000, 08:27:00 AM »
I think whatever motivates someones flying style is cool, for that person.  If you have a different flying style, then good for you.

The first six tours I was motivated by overall rank.  That was fun.

But I missed doing certain things that you just don't do if you are concerned with your score.  So I then paid no attention to score and and did all of the anti-score things that I missed doing for a few tours.  That was also fun.

Part way through tour 9, I thought it would be fun to focus on fighter kills per time.  That was fun.

I think it would also be fun to spend a tour focused on K/D.

It would also be fun focusing mainly on field captures.

I'm sure that I will someday go back to the Scorepotato Overall Rank thing again as well.

For me, variety is cool.  But I also respect whatever motivates anyone else, weather it involves score or not, or even if they always do the same thing.

To anyone who thinks that score means nothing; your right.  But if you think it is easy to rank very well, shut up and prove it.

eskimo

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2000, 08:28:00 AM »
Perhaps a kill of a fighter needs to have a higher object damage rating.  Damage inflicted to the enemy should include your fighter kills.

SKurj

Ice

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2000, 08:51:00 AM »
Well said Eskimo

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2000, 09:08:00 AM »

Well, whatever...you're arguing with yourself here.

No.. I'm not.

I'd like to see the scoring system guage performance.  Aper did very well in a fighter.  He is an excellent fighter pilot and should be ranked accordingly. Anyone that faught against him knows what I am talking about.

You seem to feel that the score system should revolve around how you play the game.  I believe it should be based on how well you fly.

AKDejaVu

eskimo

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2000, 10:25:00 AM »
AKDejaVu;

What we know about pilots and how they are ranked will always vary.  If a pilot want a higher rank; they need to diversify.  Otherwise just be happy with your rank under K/D, Hit % or whatever turns you on.

I watched a fellow squad mate of mine get vulched on take off 3 times in a row.  On his fourth attempt he managed to get airborne and killed 4 out of the 6 vulchers before he was killed again.  Feats like this are not rare for him.  I consider him to also be a great sim pilot.  I am sure that the four guys that he killed must have also thought that they were fighting against a God, especially considering the odds.

What should be done to the score system for a pilot like my squad mate to be ranked accordingly?

I personally have lost long good dogfights against some of the best pilots in this game.  I have also died while taxiing at 20 mph with no cons in sight.  Either way, I died.  Both deaths should count against me.  A score system shouldn't be expected to recognize the difference.

eskimo

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum3/HTML/000120.html

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2000, 10:37:00 AM »
A few tours back I was in about 900th position.  I then did a fighter mission and promptly jumped up 820 places.  Kinda strange - think it works both ways.

Regards

'Nexx'
NEXX

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2000, 12:10:00 PM »
Eskimo,
  You've pointed out a pretty good point indirectly. That guy you describe probably did more strategically than the guy who gets 20 kill vulches.. Shouldn't he actually get more points for fighting into a hopeless situation (or near hopeless one would think).

I personally find the "fight to live" concept a little tough to understand.  Some claim it is more realistic though I disagree.  I'm sure the RAF had that option in the Battle of Britain, or the LW over Germary trying to defeat bomber raids, or the Russians near Moscow....not.

I like the way the scoring is done, save a couple of stats that could be broken up better (as Pyro pointed out is on the list of things being done).  It points to a balanced player, not one who specializes in any one thing.

Soda

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2000, 02:43:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
No.. I'm not.

I'd like to see the scoring system guage performance.  Aper did very well in a fighter.  He is an excellent fighter pilot and should be ranked accordingly. Anyone that faught against him knows what I am talking about.

You seem to feel that the score system should revolve around how you play the game.  I believe it should be based on how well you fly.

AKDejaVu

No, actually, I don't have ANY opinion of how the score system should work.  That's just how I *think* it works now.  For all I care, they could base it on how many enemy chutes you'd strafe...hell, then I'd be an ace!  

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2000, 03:06:00 PM »

No, actually, I don't have ANY opinion of how the score system should work. That's just how I *think* it works now.

Ah.. I see.

We all know how the scoring system works.   The title of the the thread was "rethinking it".

AKDejaVu

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2000, 03:26:00 PM »
cc.  <finger>
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!