Author Topic: Field fuel attacks  (Read 441 times)

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
Field fuel attacks
« on: November 14, 2003, 08:15:18 AM »
Killing field fuel tanks gives a huge strategical advantage to the killers, while being a very easy action to perform.
In my opinion killing fuel should be harder, or the effects should be less paralizing for the damaged side.
Too many pilots who can't fight enjoy themselves in spoiling other pilots' fun by paralizing the flight activity all around the map.
I think that this way of playing should not be encouraged as it is right now.

Anybody agreing with me ?
Any chance to see any change in AHII ?

Best regards

Promet

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Field fuel attacks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 08:32:15 AM »
Yes I disagree.

A single .50 incendiary round should blow up a fuel tank.

Or a single 20mm HE round.

Fuel tanks were targets in the war.
Easy to bomb, strafe,  & set on fire they deny'd the enemy the abilty to counterstrike due to lack of fuel.

If they had blown the fuel tanks at Pearl it would have set the US back months.

Fuel as it is modeled is too hard,   I'm sure hardened for gameplay.

Bar cap when on defense.  Don't let em get to your field.

I would like to see ALL the defensive guns at a base be mannable includeing the Flack in AH 2.

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
Field fuel attacks
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 08:43:31 AM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Yes I disagree.

A single .50 incendiary round should blow up a fuel tank.

Or a single 20mm HE round.

Fuel tanks were targets in the war.
Easy to bomb, strafe,  & set on fire they deny'd the enemy the abilty to counterstrike due to lack of fuel.

If they had blown the fuel tanks at Pearl it would have set the US back months.

Fuel as it is modeled is too hard,   I'm sure hardened for gameplay.

Bar cap when on defense.  Don't let em get to your field.

I would like to see ALL the defensive guns at a base be mannable includeing the Flack in AH 2.

I partially agree, but you must consider that - being very vulnerable - fuel tanks used to be camouflaged, there were tank-dummies and - of course - the attacker was not working on a standard field pattern basis.
Targets identification was a very huge issue in RL ground attack activity, while it's automatic in AH.
If RL situation was like AH, all air forces would have been grounded after 2 days of war due to lack of fuel.
If it was so easy to spot and kill fuel tanks, IJN would have blasted fuel reservoirs in Pearl Harbour, indeed, since they had total air superiority over the island for a long time.

Besides any RL comparation, anyway, my point is about gameplay.
Constant defense of all country frontline fields (hi CAP) can be only performed by a huge and well organized force, which is not the usual situation in MA.
Moreover in RL suicidal missions were not as usual as they are here: a single kamikaze pilot coming high in order to attack fuels is basically unstoppable in AH.

Being fighters is not our job, and I'm really pissed off when I enter arena (after my RL work) and I can't fly anywhere because some unskilled pilot had fun in attacking very easy static targets instead of learning how to fight.

Best regards
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 08:50:40 AM by 13Promet »

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Field fuel attacks
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 02:03:56 PM »
Bar cap when on defense. Don't let em get to your field.

It's virtually impossible to stop a determined suicide porker, but I suspect you allredy knew that. And it's not feasible to cap EVERY frontline base, especially on the large maps.

Killing field fuel tanks gives a huge strategical advantage to the killers, while being a very easy action to perform.

I agree it's to easy, fuel tanks should be camoflaged or placed randomly with LOTS of AA protection.

Constant defense of all country frontline fields (hi CAP) can be only performed by a huge and well organized force, which is not the usual situation in MA.

Impossible on maps like FesterMA and Pizza. Just to many bases and not enough players to cap everything.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Field fuel attacks
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 04:06:58 PM »
Its easy to stop a suicide porker..... pork HIS ammo, at HIS front line bases! :D

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Field fuel attacks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 04:26:06 PM »
Originally posted by MaddogJoe
Its easy to stop a suicide porker..... pork HIS ammo, at HIS front line bases! :D

Tiffies don't need rockets or bombs to pork the fuel.  Four 20mm cannon do just fine.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-