Author Topic: A Few Things On Beta 6  (Read 828 times)

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
A Few Things On Beta 6
« on: December 10, 2003, 02:19:35 PM »
Over all the biggest thing I have is about the text in the graphics. Because of these old eyes, I prefer using 800x600. In 1024x768 the planes and their labels are too small. But at 800x600 the text is blurred, like the plane labels and instruments. The instruments seem blurred even at 1024x768. Now, I know it's going to be easy to write this off as my poor eyesight, but it really could be a lot clearer.

Friendly collisions - Friendly planes take collision damage on the runway. Others have said it's not true in the air, but I haven't had a chance to try it.

No kill on buildings - I don't seem to be able to kill enemy buildings via Jabo or straffing. Bombs and rockets have no affect and with guns there are no hit sprites. I was attacking an enemy strat target.

Field gun sights - The sight on the field guns disappears when aimed vertical. In addition, the field gun tracers are very hard to see (I know... my eyes).

Zoom - The zoom in field guns doesn't seem to zoom out as far as it does in AH2 (just saying).

It's still too difficult to land. In a Spit 9 upon landing the plane wants to veer towards the right. Attempting to keep it on runway with pedals causes ground loop. In P51 D and sort of bounce seems to destroy the gear and cause a crash. I've always been able to land with near 100% consistency. All this was done by slowing to near stall with flaps with flareout for three point landing.

I watched troops drop from field gun. The chutes did not contain any paratroopers... just the empty harnesses. But when they anded, the paratroopers appeared.

At one point I quit to change screen resolution from 800 to 1024. When I came back in and clicked on hanger, I got a crash to desktop with no error message. Didn't try to duplicate.

grizzly

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
A Few Things On Beta 6
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 03:43:11 PM »
You're not alone in seeing blurry instruments I see the same thing it's most noticeable on the P51s I think. Thought it was just me and it doesn't affect me much but I guess it will affect others more...

Also I'm seeing all plane icons as white dots, checked my icon display and everything is as I have it set up in AH, red for enemy, green friendly etc.

Got a few CTDs in this version that I haven't experienced before. Got a freeze in game after which I had to reset the PC. This happened when I exited the game but was still online (showing the test arena screen with # of players on).
I went back into the game and it froze at the tower screen, I tried alt tabbing out but no luck(the keyboard was still working and the cursor showed up), also tried alt f4 still no luck, tried ctrl alt del, didn't work. Tried exiting windows from memory, using windows key :) (done this b4 from memory) no luck, so I hit reset.

Offline Sarge1

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/soundpge/index.html
A Few Things On Beta 6
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 04:18:34 PM »
in p51 i cant get over 100mph and i cant get it to get off ground and the c47 at full throttle it moves about 50 ft then stops like the brakes were on. mg bullets on gvs seem to go thru building and i dont see any hit sprites from them where ever i shoot.

can take off with the 190 109 and the spits

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
A Few Things On Beta 6
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 05:07:56 PM »
Still able to fly underground sometimes. I don't know if you can get back in the air from there, but after augering, I flew underground for about 15 - 20 seconds before going to tower. I dunno - guess I hit a tree root :)

I got green and red dots on radar whan I first logged on. After, all the dots showed as white. I'm not sure, but I think has something to do with once the sun glare hits your dash. The dot go white and never come back as red and green.

The freeze frame is still there. It seems to be only a problem in the fist flight. After that, I didn't notice it anymore.

Offline JustJim

• Nickel Member
A Few Things On Beta 6
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 05:16:19 PM »
Originally posted by Sarge1
in p51 i cant get over 100mph and i cant get it to get off ground and the c47 at full throttle it moves about 50 ft then stops like the brakes were on. mg bullets on gvs seem to go thru building and i dont see any hit sprites from them where ever i shoot.

can take off with the 190 109 and the spits

May wanna try calibrating your stick i noticed that helped me, had that same problem myself

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
A Few Things On Beta 6
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2003, 05:52:36 PM »
Only tried the 190A5 and the 51D so far.  Noticed the different ground handling behavior, but I was able to get both planes off without much drama.  Also landed both the same (although I landed the 190 a bit hard and struck the prop on the runway).  To takeoff for either, I dropped a notch of flaps and then very slowly advanced the throttle from idle.  As you get a little speed, you'll have to use rudder judiciously - try not to over-compansate.  If you can get to the point where the tail wheel gets off the ground it'll be a lot easier from there.  At the point of lift-off, my throttle is still not 100%...  When landing I drop a notch or two of flaps and touch down kinda hot, about 150 or so.  Again, watch the use of rudder as you slow down.

As far as bugs, haven't noticed anything beyond what Grizzly noted.  I have been online in Beta 6 only once, and Beta 5 crashed on my system.  

mauser

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
A Few Things On Beta 6
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2003, 11:00:14 PM »
?appeared to fly underground several times....when I climbed out of the ground I got a "you have been killed " message.

I either flew underground and climbed out with no problems or I was flying underneath the trees....dunno.....but screen went dark green and I pulled out with no problems.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
A Few Things On Beta 6
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2003, 01:02:43 AM »
P-51B & D , small point, in f3 mode using the .target command noticed that when the guns are fired they sound like slow firing cannon, return to cockpit they sound like MG's back to F3 sound like cannon again. Ack emplacements invisible, you can see the muzzel flash but not the ack itself, when in a field gun cant hear it fire. Spit9 rudder seems to have as much effect at slow speed as it does at wheel rotation, that is at near idle speeds rudder pushs plane around as much as it does at say 150 mph etc. Bombed fuel depot E of A14 in P51d two 1k eggs & 6 rocks no damage inflicted at all, no bomb or rocket craters either. Same for guns not even any hit sprites on buildings.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2003, 03:00:25 AM by Tyro48 »