Author Topic: Video settings  (Read 362 times)

Offline dixonaw

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
Video settings
« on: June 09, 2004, 04:27:47 PM »
I would like a definition of the following settings found in the VIDEO Settings.
1. Horizon
2. Transitions
3. Terrain Bitmapping
I can sort of guess what they do, but since I am running on minimal requirements, what would I lose(especially in frame rate) by turning these off.
Thanks
Matelot

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Video settings
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 11:18:49 PM »
This thread explains all the video settings available:
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117502

But in a nutshell...I've gone thru the thread for my squad and already cut and pasted the goodies:

To get to the in game video settings, click Setup->Video->Video Settings from the clipboard menu. The same options for changing resolution and limiting frame rates are available, as well as some additional options.

The Max Texture Size down-samples textures larger than the selected size to save video memory. On 64M boards and below, don't try to run higher than 256.

The Gamma slider controls gamma correction of your monitor.

Bump Mapping applies a secondary detail texture to the terrain. Unchecking this option will increase performance (in the future). Bump mapping is currently disabled. So the setting has no effect.

Checking Transitions applies an overlay to make the terrain appear seamless.

Checking the Horizon option will show a smoother transition from the terrain to the sky.

Terrain Mipmapping prevents terrain shimmer in the distance. Normally this option should be checked unless you are very low on video memory    

LOD:

Some objects have LOD, stands for level of detail. What this means is that you get farther away the shape changes to a less detail shape. The LOD slider modifies this distance when something changes.

Object Size :

As you get farther away from objects and polygons they shrink in size on the screen. This slider sets how many pixels and object or polygon must be to be displayed. Not this has no effect on player objects like vehicles and planes.

Ground Detail range. Ground detail is all the stuff you see in an empty terrain tile. i.e. no field or factory. There is a clipping plane ahead of your view. Ground detail behind that plane will not be displayed. The slider simply controls the distance of that clipping plane.

Textures to load per frame. This slider will not effect frame rate, but will effect stutters. It is simply how many textures can be loaded on any frame. Texture loads can be fairly time consuming, normally after the initial start of the game texture loads happen as the texture comes into view, because this is normally done at a distance you cant yet see the detail of the texture, making this setting 1 will be where most people will want it to be. Notice on start up how the textures come in 1 per frame until the entire seen looks correct.

This setting does not effect textures that are used as windows, like your text buffer, and some windows that appear on the clip board.

Hope this helps,
Mosq