Author Topic: xp problem  (Read 1173 times)

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
xp problem
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 08:47:32 AM »
I set everything to manual and rebooted, checked the logs and no errors except for my hpna network card. I cannot find a windows update log file in the windows folder. I can access the win updates, problem is when you click to download the update is when I get the error. I have went to the windows download page where I can manually download the critical updates, I know this doesn't solve the problem by no means but at least comp is as safe as can be.
Thnx for the help
SNO
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Dingbat

• Silver Member
      • http://mysite.verizon.net/res0v1l1
xp problem
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 11:18:05 AM »
Is device manager working again?

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
xp problem
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »
No, device manager and network connections still nothing showing in them. Can access update page and get the updates to show but when clickiing on download now get the error page, same as before.

SNO
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
xp problem
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 01:12:51 PM »
Two suggestions to perform seperately: reapply the service pack; and set all your services to Automatic and reboot. The latter will give you errors but if you look in Event Viewer, you'll be able to see which services give faults.

You've tried this haven't you?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
xp problem
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 01:37:56 PM »
I've had a simular problem with windows update for the last few months.

so I stumbled on a fix that works for me (and no, I have no idea why it works).

when you run the unpdate page it shows you driver updates, xp updates, and critical updates (with the critical updates automaticly selected for download).  when I'd select 'download and install' it would run and give me the error.  so anyway one day I was just staring at it all pissed off and bored and cancelled the selection of the critical update (leaving noe selected) then rechose it and ran the download.  everything worked fine.

so far I've had the error on the last 4 critical updates and this has fixed every one.

I don't understand it, it just works for me.

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
xp problem
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2004, 02:28:07 PM »
qts, I think re-applying the service pack is the next step, and yes that was the first thing I tried. Capt, will try you're suggestion the next set of critical updates that come out.

Thnx  SNO
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11