Author Topic: Email stolen?  (Read 793 times)

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Email stolen?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 06:06:09 PM »
in those emails from ..... well they appear that they are from... Ebay, PayPal and so on, requesting you update your info, "click on the link and file out the form" type thing. You can click on the link and go to the page.... which will look surprizingly like an Ebay page or PayPal page. Just replace the address with this

javascript:alert("The real URL of this site is: " + location.protocol + "//" + location.hostname + "/");

and hit enter. Its a small java script that will show you the real address, stripping away all the domain names that happen to look like a true address, but is hiding the real address.

Still if your not sure, don't fill out any forms unless you got to the site by typing in the address yourself.

Offline MikkaMan

• Zinc Member
Email stolen?
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2004, 12:57:55 PM »
MadDog,
Just wanted to say that your last bit of advice is something most people forget! Internet fraud is not a whole lot different than other theft crimes/scams. Everyone should know not to "give" information about themselves to someone who calls them on the phone. If you don't initiate the call, don't give any information. Its no different on the web. I'm glad you posted that, so many people forget the basics.

As far as this post, i wanted to say that comcast is pretty good about following up on this type of activity.

Its a wonderful and scarry world.

Mikka

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Email stolen?
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2004, 01:26:04 PM »
what Shane said - someone who has you in their address book has the virus and is sending it out making it look like it is coming from your email account. when the mail servers block it, it returns to you.

like Shane said, figure out who is infected and tell them to fix it..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
Email stolen?
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2004, 03:35:37 PM »
If you have a cable connection, you require a firewall. No ifs, no buts. ZoneAlarm is about the best personal firewall I've seen.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Email stolen?
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2004, 03:42:39 PM »
Originally posted by sonar732
Cable internet connections are even more prone to hacking than DSL.  You need to be careful with them.  As stated, if you aren't that computer literate, download the free edition of Zone Alarm and run it.  It will warn you for each process that's trying to use the internet and warn you on incoming traffic also.  I finally shut off the pop up for incoming traffic because it was amazing how many people tried to access the computer.

Careful.  Do not assume someone is trying to access your computer intentionally.  Whenever Windows starts (from Windows 95 and up), it broadcasts itself over the Internet connection.
Everyone on your local node, that happens to be on the same subnet will get that broadcast, and if it is not blocked, they will respond as well.
So, when you see a 'hit' on ZA, do not assume it is intentional.  It simply may be someone booting their computer, or shutting it down, as Windows does a final broadcast when it powers down as well.

Another broadcast occurs whenever DHCP runs, but it is slightly different and I hope ZA does not announce that as a hit too.

People who know little about networking get ultra paranoid about these innocent hits when there is no need to.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Email stolen?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2004, 03:47:33 PM »
If you want to check where a message actually came from and are using Outlook Express (too many people do), all you have to do is right click on the email in the InBox, select Properties, then Details.
The second line from the top shows the IP address and domain (if any) from where the email came from.  NOTE:  Only pay attention to the information in the {}/[].  The leading description can be forged.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
Email stolen?
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2004, 09:39:03 PM »
Good point, I'll remember that one
 Thanks

Offline sonar732

• Copper Member
Email stolen?
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2004, 06:02:27 PM »
If you have Outlook 2000 or XP, just right click on the email and then go to options.  The message header will show up in the bottom.  Also, I don't have cable internet...I've got Verizon DSL.  You should remember this Skuzzy with all our emails back and forth...:rofl