Author Topic: Unlimited Offline Bombs?  (Read 291 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Unlimited Offline Bombs?
« on: March 16, 2004, 09:07:05 PM »
For offline practice, can we get an option for unlimited rockets and bombs?  Would really speed up the bombing practice, just as unlimited gun ammo speeds up strafing and aerial gunnery.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Unlimited Offline Bombs?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 10:11:02 PM »
good idea.
JG11

Vater

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Unlimited Offline Bombs?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 05:00:04 PM »
Not much interest in this thread, it seems.  But really, wouldn't unlimited bombs, torps and rockets for offline practice be the single greatest aid for improving attack skills?  

As it is, gets to be a waste of time lugging relatively few bombs up to alt and target for practice.  Most time is spent just getting to the target when it should be spent primarily on improving release of the weapons on target.  

I've already dumbed down the offline target acks so I can concentrate on improving my aim and approaches instead of just surviving (evading acks is a different training all by itself).  

In real life, we don't drive 40 minutes to a shooting range only to fire two bullets and then drive home and back again to shoot two more.  In Aces High offline we can select virtually unlimited cannon and mg ammo, so why not have unlimited bombs, torpedos, and rockets too?

This might significantly help Aces High achieve a more realistic balance of air to surface attack and air to air combat.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Unlimited Offline Bombs?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »
I would like to c an unlimited bomb option for offline play.

But...

by using the targeting crosshair, you know where your bomb will land.  so you don't actually have to drop the bomb to practice your setup etc.

for now.  use the germany map and take off from the ne runway on base 48.  puts u at 20k right over the base.  it is a quick way to practice dive bombing.
JG11

Vater

Offline BenDover

• Platinum Member
Unlimited Offline Bombs?
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 06:21:53 PM »
or you could download one of my bomber practice maps off my site.

If it ever is put in i hope they don't allow it in a h2h arena, unlimted ammo is hard enough to cope with........why couldn't payday be last week?

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Unlimited Offline Bombs?
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 11:40:26 PM »
Well, actually the bomber crosshair is only an indicator, not a guarantee, or everyone would be ace bombardiers.

I think unlimited bombs would be big help even in horizontal bombing although that has more options such as loading many smaller bombs and releasing them one by one.  Yet even that would not be the best practice for the greater spread of all multiple bomb drops.

Unlimited bombs would greatly expedite practice in dive bombing, torpedo bombing, and firing rockets too.

I assume this would be an easy option to add to offline play.  Then again, I can also see a bomber sitting on a pyramid of bombs and unable to budge from its perch.  

Ah, I bet the ace Aces High programmers could solve this easily.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Unlimited Offline Bombs?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 06:54:16 AM »
for jabo work, remove "protect objects" under arena settings.  lose all your ammo b4 take off.  take 25% fuel & jabo your own field.  also using the 250 lbers is good.  you'll get to alt quickly.

Offline Shiva

• Silver Member
      • http://members.cox.net/srmalloy/
Unlimited Offline Bombs?
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 09:23:40 AM »
Originally posted by Halo
I think unlimited bombs would be big help even in horizontal bombing although that has more options such as loading many smaller bombs and releasing them one by one.  Yet even that would not be the best practice for the greater spread of all multiple bomb drops.

I have to agree with Halo; learning how the salvo and delay adjustments control the spread of the impact pattern across your target is part of learning level bombing, and having to re-up with a fresh bombload is a timewaster when you're just practicing.