Author Topic: Lavochkin torque effects  (Read 342 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Lavochkin torque effects
« on: May 14, 2004, 04:11:42 AM »
I like the introduction of torque into these models..it adds another dimension.

I do not know how the effect has been determined and assume its been "calculated" from other known data.

It seems to me that the amount of correction i have to apply for the la5FN is higher than that required for the la7........... could this be checked?

Actually the La7 prop was slightly (@3.1m) bigger than that of the La5FN (still trying to source its exact dimensions)....... would this not tend to cause the la7 to have the greater torque effect?
Ludere Vincere

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
Re: Lavochkin torque effects
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 06:01:09 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt
Actually the La7 prop was slightly (@3.1m) bigger than that of the La5FN (still trying to source its exact dimensions)....... would this not tend to cause the la7 to have the greater torque effect?

Is it airflow torque or flywheel precession (dunno if these terms are accurate in english)?

With precession it's the mass and the RPM (the product of these two factors) of the rotating prop that is most important.

With airflow torque it's the mass and effect of the accelerated airflow that is most important. This is often, but not exclusively, related to prop size.

Flight test data of the whole airframe and prop in flight would be the most reliable source as opposed to calculations based on only mass and size.